Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glasford , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to blacktruck
Arrow Source for aluminum wheels?

Does anyone have a source for the aluminum wheels used on the P30 chassis? I have wheel covers now and being former trucker, have a weakness for aluminum wheels. Doesn't have to be new, just crack free and serviceable. I'll do the cleanup needed.
Hope all is well for everyone out there. I'm a few months from being back in the US again. Ready to use my MH again.
Thanks folks..
Ken
blacktruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I don't have any leads for wheels other than they might be available new and expensive on the Alcoa site?

If you are a trucker what are you doing with a toy on a P30 chassis??

Rather that spend more money on that SOB why not upgrade to a nice used AIRSTREAM CLASS A that will come loaded with goodies and aluminium wheels OEM.

These are on a Freightliner Chassis and a lot simpler to maintain than anything on a P30. (We aren't talking price comparison here! )

Check out this thread.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ble-96384.html

Lots of ideas to think about.

We can spend as much money as we have (or not) upgrading an RV but the chance's of getting that investment back some day are slim unless you have a quality product to begin with.

This unit is no longer available but represents the best in quality AIRSTREAM Class A Diesel Pushers. Only maybe 9 of these built for the 75 anniversary and production was suspended permanently.(or until we can convince them to restart production of a Class A?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...HMcGZIIGfo&t=7

We thank you for your service.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glasford , Illinois
My thoughts on the matter...

My thoughts in bold below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
I don't have any leads for wheels other than they might be available new and expensive on the Alcoa site?

If you are a trucker what are you doing with a toy on a P30 chassis??
At first glance this statement hacked me off just a bit but then I gave it some thought. When I bought my SOB it was after a search for a particular model. I knew what I wanted but only down to a range of years that had some options I really liked. I've driven many miles in buses and executive type coaches over the years. In the years since I bought my "toy", I've managed a few thousand miles in it. Not sure it is physically possible to enjoy another motorhome any more than I enjoy my "toy". It has taken me and some of my family on a few pretty good trips. It's kept us cool or warm and given us a place to sleep and means to get to different locations. What exactly would it have done differently if it was on something other than a P30 chassis?

Rather that spend more money on that SOB why not upgrade to a nice used AIRSTREAM CLASS A that will come loaded with goodies and aluminium wheels OEM.
Do I sense a bit of aloofness here? A condescending tone maybe because my motorhome isn't an AS? Wild as it may be, I've seen AS's without shiney aluminum wheels too. Damned stainless covers. Who were they trying to kid? Thinking someone would fall for a bit of flash in the pan, so to speak. As far as the money goes, price is a consideration for me just like for many people. Using a widely known scientific formula that I found years ago, divide the length of the MH by the square root of the distance from your home to the typical fun places you go and multiply by the amount of days off you have in a row and that gives you the amount of fun per dollar you are having in your SOB. Not sure if it works for an AS. Seriously though, I did buy what I wanted. When I was finally at a point in my life where I could use a MH, I narrowed my choices to two different models. AS was one of them. When my search started I looked at a few of each. What sold me on the particular one I did get was value and not price. I've only spent a few $$ since I bought it on typical maintenance. Did I do wrong? Should I have held out and purchased an AS anyway?

These are on a Freightliner Chassis and a lot simpler to maintain than anything on a P30. (We aren't talking price comparison here! )

Check out this thread.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ble-96384.html

Lots of ideas to think about.

We can spend as much money as we have (or not) upgrading an RV but the chance's of getting that investment back some day are slim unless you have a quality product to begin with.

I guess it is perspective but I don't see me buying wheels as doing anymore than just satisfying my urge for shiney things. Is that a disability? Can I get a check for that just to help me deal with it? Probably not. Anyway it's not an investment or upgrade that I think will make me money in the long run. It's a selfish urge and I would do it just to make me happy. No $$ return figured in there at all.

This unit is no longer available but represents the best in quality AIRSTREAM Class A Diesel Pushers. Only maybe 9 of these built for the 75 anniversary and production was suspended permanently.(or until we can convince them to restart production of a Class A?)

2007 Airstream Land Yacht 396XL Freightliner 400HP Cummins Allison - Diesel Pusher - YouTube

We thank you for your service.
I do appreciate you noticing and commenting on it. I am retired from the Army and back over here doing something close to what I did in the military. It's not all about the money now anymore than it was then. I have a job to do and I do it. Thanks for noticing.

Dave
Lest I be mistaken for a grump here or something worse, I was not the least bit offended by what you wrote. I march to my own drummer and drive/own what works for me and that I enjoy. And quite honestly, I would love an AS. I'm into classic vehicles and the AS's are certainly one of them. It might be my next one. I do have a weakness for the 36' Classic models. I have an Elandan now. That was the sleekest looking motorhome in it's day. I love it. Great floorplan and easy to drive and with not one but two front doors. Those are great. Don't need them all the time but when you, it's a wonderful thing. Seriously, I do appreciate your comments here and I'm still looking for some aluminum wheels anyway.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I was just pulling strings!!!!!!!!!

Anything that keeps the thought process going is alway a good thing.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
Old 08-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glasford , Illinois
Talking String puller.....

Quote:
I was just pulling strings!!!!!!!!!

Anything that keeps the thought process going is alway a good thing.

Dave
Been known to jerk a chain or so occasion myself. Sometimes just to see what response I get. Who knows? I just might end up with an AS one of these days just so I can learn the secret handshake you all have and be one of the guys . Agreed on the thought processes.. Too many go through life with them turned off. Keep thinking and doing there man.
Stay safe out there.
And damn it, I still want some shiney wheels for my SOB ..
Old 08-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Way to go Blacktruck! Too many people on here ( Mostly Canadians, Eh.)
have that aloof attitude. It doesn't matter what you drive or pull as long as you are having fun. A lot of good technical info on here. Look over the attitudes and there are a lot of good answers from some really smart people if you need technical knowledge.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glasford , Illinois
Talking Shiney things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
have that aloof attitude. It doesn't matter what you drive or pull as long as you are having fun. A lot of good technical info on here. Look over the attitudes and there are a lot of good answers from some really smart people if you need technical knowledge.
100% agreement on your response panhead. As I had said earlier, I'm into classics. I don't think any one company cornered the market on all of them. In truth now that I did buy a SOB, I stay on this forum for the tech info and how to stuff that is posted. Under the skins, most of our MHs from a few years ago were pretty much built using a lot of the same components and construction techniques. As a rule it seems there are more AS owners restoring/using their classics than the other brands. Doesn't mean the others are any less classic. If there were a forum for Elandans, I would be on it too. I do try to focus on those that have the same interests as me. We're just into classic vehicles.
Thanks for adding your comment panheaddale. I do appreciate it.
Keep riding and be safe out there...
and speaking of classics, I ride a V twin with the V going the right way..... and so you know I'm not a hater, I got an HD too right beside it.
Ken
Old 08-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
You are now off topic and this is your first warning. Move to this thread for furthur comments on this subject.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f472...u-s-58581.html

Now back to shinny stuff.

There is some good information on this site.
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showth...assis-with-IFS

Includes this. "At one time Alcoa made aluminum 19.5" wheels with the 10 lug on 7.25" circle with 5.25" center hole that fit these GM trucks. They do not make them now, so you'll have to look and search to find some old ones."

Dave

Quote:
Old 08-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
You are now off topic and this is your first warning. Move to this thread for furthur comments on this subject.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f472...u-s-58581.html

Now back to shinny stuff.

There is some good information on this site.
Differences between 1 ton p30 and 1.5 ton motorhome chassis with IFS

Includes this. "At one time Alcoa made aluminum 19.5" wheels with the 10 lug on 7.25" circle with 5.25" center hole that fit these GM trucks. They do not make them now, so you'll have to look and search to find some old ones."

Dave
Funny how peoples attitude changes when they are called out. Hey blacktruck I got a couple HD and a first year Goldwing. Kinda different huh. I am an old hotrodder also and I don't know where any wheels are but I will look and see what I can find. If I find anything I will PM you and let you know. Good luck
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glasford , Illinois
Talking Shiney things.....

Quote:
Funny how peoples attitude changes when they are called out. Hey blacktruck I got a couple HD and a first year Goldwing. Kinda different huh. I am an old hotrodder also and I don't know where any wheels are but I will look and see what I can find. If I find anything I will PM you and let you know. Good luck
So we don't run afoul of the rules here, let me mention aluminum wheels.

Aluminum wheels, I love the looks of them. That is all.

I ride an 02 Nighttrain and a MG Norge and in my opinion, the older GW's were far better looking than the newer ones. I almost bought one a couple of years ago and now wish that I hadn't passed on it. Still like to have an 11 or 1200 next to the Guzzi.
Thanks for the help if you find any wheels. Like I said before, does nothing to further my investment or life savings, it just satisfies my liking for shiney objects .
Old 08-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktruck View Post

So we don't run afoul of the rules here, let me mention aluminum wheels.

Aluminum wheels, I love the looks of them. That is all.

I ride an 02 Nighttrain and a MG Norge and in my opinion, the older GW's were far better looking than the newer ones. I almost bought one a couple of years ago and now wish that I hadn't passed on it. Still like to have an 11 or 1200 next to the Guzzi.
Thanks for the help if you find any wheels. Like I said before, does nothing to further my investment or life savings, it just satisfies my liking for shiney objects .
That's just one damn funny setup!!! If I were a moderator I'd award points for that one! :-)

They'd be aluminum points by the way
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glasford , Illinois
Talking More aluminum wheel stuff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
That's just one damn funny setup!!! If I were a moderator I'd award points for that one! :-)

They'd be aluminum points by the way
I'm thinking that if I can get enough of them aluminum points, I can make me some shiney wheels.
Stay safe out there all....
Ken
Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
You could call Royal truck and Trailer 1-800-818-5701 they advertise Aluminum wheels for $244.39 with 360 degree polish.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
The eastern swamps , North Carolina
Alcoa wheels

Did you try Colaw's ?
They are expensive, but worth checking.
Good Luck!
All the best. Rich
LimeyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glasford , Illinois
Talking Haven't looked there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyRich View Post
Did you try Colaw's ?
They are expensive, but worth checking.
Good Luck!
All the best. Rich
I seem to recall seeing something about them. I'll have to look them up and see if they have a website. Also seems to me they are in the Midwest as I recall. Not that I am right now but they are I think. Just in case, are there any other places like that who specialize in RV's? You would think those wheels shouldn't be that hard to locate used or that someone would be doing reproductions of them. Thanks for the heads up on this one. I'll see if they have any.
Thanks for the post.
Stay safe out there...
Ken
Old 08-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
CoLaws haven't got any. They say they get them from time to time and to keep checking back with them. I've been checking back for months with no success.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glasford , Illinois
Talking Still in the hunt.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloran View Post
CoLaws haven't got any. They say they get them from time to time and to keep checking back with them. I've been checking back for months with no success.
I know they are an unusual size and not made in large quantities when they were in production. Makes them a bit more of challenge to find now but I persist. It's certainly not a need or anything like that, just a quest for shiney things..... I don't know, maybe I'm easily distracted by shiney objects. Could be on to something there.. Who knows?
I'll keep looking and appreciate any tips or advice from the crowd. As I have said before, I don't have an AS yet but one day maybe I'll find the one I want. This forum is still a great source of info on restoration and maintenance even for SOB owners like me.....
Stay safe out there....
Ken
Old 09-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I found my alloys on eBay. The guy said he took them off of a Winnebago that he salvaged. You might keep an eye on this outfit Rickson Wheel Manufacturing They seem to do a short run from time to time. They had them listed several months ago but now I see they show "Coming Soon."

"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them."
~ Margaret Thatcher ~
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:47 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Glasford , Illinois
Arrow Have to check that out..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
I found my alloys on eBay. The guy said he took them off of a Winnebago that he salvaged. You might keep an eye on this outfit Rickson Wheel Manufacturing They seem to do a short run from time to time. They had them listed several months ago but now I see they show "Coming Soon."
I had looked there quite some time back and hadn't seen anything on there. Have to admit to being a dinosaur and not being a computer guy at all so I probably don't watch or check as much as I should when looking for something specific. New would be good with me if they're available. I'll check their website.
I appreciate the response and possible help.
Stay safe out there...
Ken
PS...Highly agree with you quotation on the bottom of your post...
We said indeed. Thanks for sharing and please keep sharing...
Old 01-26-2017, 09:41 AM   #20
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Maxion aluminum wheels

If still looking for the shinny wheels, MAXION in now in the market.
Information attached.
http://www.trucknews.com/equipment/m...ls/1003076948/

Dave