Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2002, 09:25 AM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Soundproofing

Has anyone out there replaced the carpet in the drivers/passangers seat area of their motor home?

Was there any kind of sound absorbing materials installed?

Has anyone used a product that will help diminish the noise level of sitting next to a 454 at 60 MPH? (Other than earplugs)

I pulled up the carpet on the driver’s side last night to see why the seat sat at a 10 degree list and found WOOD ROT. I think I have the leak sealed and I have replaced the wood so I sit level now but there was no pad, or insulation of any kind here just a thin sheet of aluminum over the frame members with the plywood installed on top.

It also looks like the steel wheel well housing over the wheel has no insulation or sound proofing over it either.

TIA.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 10:24 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Hi tech soundproofing

There are lots of new products for soundproofing available. I have used the sheets of foil bubbles with some success depending on layers applied and location. There is a trend also to use foam or laminated sheet lead. Obviously there is a weight penalty. The lead is very effective. Some bus conversions, with engine in the rear, cover most of the engine area. The sheets are about 1/8th inch thick and are cut with sissors and contact cemented into place.
To repair wet or damaged plywood, there is a method to repair damaged area with fibreglas resin that has been reduced so as to allow the resin to penetrate the plys and add strength. A top coat of cloth and resin is very substantial. Under carpet, this is a great repair. Frank
Old 03-14-2002, 01:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
There are sound deadening mats available from Pep Boys, Autozone and Napa. They are probably in JC WHitney also. My motorhome has a rubber pad with aluminum heat reflective over it that surrounds the engine compartment area. My engine is a bit loud still at hiway speed, also there is a bit of wond noise.

What concerns me more on mine is the moderate "bouncing" in the rear bed area, that makes it not too comfortable to rest back there while I am driving. The overall ride is pretty smooth, but I think could be better in the rear.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 06:58 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
After I completely tore out the old wood (or whatever was left of it), put in new 5/8 plywood and installed nice thick carpet, most of the noise was dampened. The biggest improvement came from installing new seals for the engine compartment lid. I only found some rubber? mats under the old wood.
I did seal the new plywood with marine varnish.
If you are not concerned about further waterleaks, carpet padding would help too.
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 08:40 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Alan,

How old are the shocks on your MH?

I have not experienced any bouncing in the rear of the coach, but I have a rear bath.

I do not have rear airbags but I do know that many of the Airstream MH came with them as an option.

You would think with what these things weigh they would travel down the road smoothly!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 07:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have arear bath as well. I have the rear airbags, which seems to be inflated properly, as I understand it, they are to level the rig in case of load changes. They are adjustable by a link underneath. the shocks on the other hand, I am not sure how old. They seem to not have any leaks, but might need upgrading. Its funny if you have no frame of reference, having not had a large motorhome before, you don't know how it is supposed to be performing, other than the obvious things. For instance on my first trip after I bought it, I had a lot of rattles and noises, did not know if that was just "the way it is "...since then I have tightened
up som many little loose areas, and passed the stove top for travel, etc. so most of that is gone...oh also I had discovered some time ago my tires were way over inflated. 80+ lbs, when they needed to be 55 or 60.
As for the shocks, I will check it out, I too feel like it should ride a bit smoother in the rear, maybe more like a bus? I used to travel in a Silver Eagle, now that was smooth.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote