Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2022, 03:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Soooooooo bummed out!

When Lynn and I got back from Colorado last Sept. I parked the rig out in the drive as usual and within a few days I changed the oil in anticipation of our annual trip somewhere this winter. Well, things got in the way of our trip and the rig hasnt moved since the oil change. Now both of us have been in and out of it over the past months, Lynn doing a thorough cleaning and I’ve been in and out doing small maintenance items and one of them was installing a new leather wrap on the steering wheel. Well, we were out there today giving it a good exterior wash today and as I got around to the front and washing the windshield I noticed a HAIRLINE CRACK IN THE DRIVERS SIDE WINDSHIELD!!!!! I am absolutely totally stumped as to how it happened or even when it happened but it had to have happened while it’s been sitting there. I’ve got no friggin idea how this could have happened and as I said, I was even up in the drivers seat for several hours installing that steering wheel wrap because it had to be laced and it took me awhile. There is absolutely no evidence of a chip or mark on the glass, no tree limbs that have fallen, no hail, no NOTHING. WTH could have caused that???? My son visited a month ago and we were at times all out there sitting and visiting and didn’t notice anything. I had to look real hard at it to even tell that it is indeed a crack. It starte at the center post a couple of inches from the top, heads towards the center and then curves 90° downwards to the bottom…
I’m sick at my stomach.

Ok so. ‘82 310……does anyone know if they are even still available to buy new?
I know at one time that there is a company called Coach Glass that one could purchase from but I thought I had read on here that they are not an option anymore.

I sprayed water from the hose directly on it and it doesn’t leak right now. We were planning on a short trip in the next few weeks, should we nix that idea?
I would assume it will get worse. It seems to go all the way to the center post to the bottom. I’ll take a closer look when the sun isn’t so directly on it. It’s such a fine hairline crack that it looks more like a scratch than a crack. You can’t feel it by running your finger over it or your fingernail doesn’t catch on it inside or out.
Total bummer. No idea how this happened.

Any info is much much appreciated. Kinda makes me sick.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:59 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
I’d see if it’s a good candidate for filling by safelite, etc. Pretty amazing what they can do with epoxies these days.
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 04:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
I’d see if it’s a good candidate for filling by safelite, etc. Pretty amazing what they can do with epoxies these days.
That’s gonna be my first option
Old 05-28-2022, 05:25 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Depending on the state, many states will not pass inspection with a defect in the drivers view portion of the windshield. Look forward to what you find out
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by civeng99 View Post
Be careful of that particular glass company. They have funny “rules”. They left me hanging with the windshield out of my 20 year old 540i BMW because of a 1/4” dia. area of surface rust on the surface the windshield mounts on. They just said “oh, a bit of rust. We can’t install the new windshield”. I now can’t drive the car because there is no windshield. A local company was happy to finish the job.

Granted it was an old car, but hey, doesn’t everyone need a V8, 4 doors and a 6 speed manual once in their life?
Steve
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 06:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeSag View Post
Depending on the state, many states will not pass inspection with a defect in the drivers view portion of the windshield. Look forward to what you find out
We don’t get our vehicles inspected here in IL

As far as Safelite goes, looks like I better get real familiar with their installation policies. My 310 is a 1982, a little rust? Ohh what are the chances ��
I guess I was thinking to ask them if it can be repaired without removing it. If I need installation of a new piece of glass I’ll be using a local company not a chain.
Old 05-28-2022, 07:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Don’t be canceling trips. With laminated glass, the windshield will not end up in your lap. In fact, this is a great time to schedule that trip to Alaska, BEFORE replacement, because ALL the windshields in that state are cracked.
Chill, enjoy life, and get the repairs done on your terms.
PS if you go through your insurance, they will ask for details about the “ precipitating incident”. Be prepared to offer them something. You’ve already said you didn’t cause it through carelessness. That’s all they care about.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
My friend just replaced his windshield and side windows in a 1938 Ford truck!!!

The glass company had him cut a piece of cardboard or thin poster board to match the size. They got everything right except for the slight curve on the sides of the windshield. They took it back and have made another. He just installed it today!!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Had a similar thing happen to my F150. When I looked closely it was just a little chip on the edge of the windshield. That was enough to start it down the windshield. Long cracks are very difficult to fix. I’m sure you will need a new one. Don’t quit the trip. I know it will probably bug you the entire way though. But I got to believe you can get it fixed. This isn’t the first time. Probably not be cheap though.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I've had a crack start from a ding that hit the trim at the edge of the windshield just close enough to damage the glass beneath it, so check the frame. Temperature changes during the winter (especially from the sun hitting cold, tinted glass) can cause a small chip/crack to grow quickly.

I had another one caused by expansion of the glass in a frame without enough of an expansion gap. The installer will have to watch for that issue when installing the new glass.

My experience with the epoxy repairs has been limited to short cracks that they can stop from spreading by drilling a hole at the end of the crack, then filling the chip and new drill hole as much as possible.

Good Luck!

2022 25' Flying Cloud - "Tiny Tin"
2020 Chev Silverado - "50 Shades"
Wanderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 11:04 AM   #11
SilverOne

1999 23' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
Soooooooo bummed out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
When Lynn and I got back from Colorado last Sept. I parked the rig out in the drive as usual and within a few days I changed the oil in anticipation of our annual trip somewhere this winter. Well, things got in the way of our trip and the rig hasnt moved since the oil change. Now both of us have been in and out of it over the past months, Lynn doing a thorough cleaning and I’ve been in and out doing small maintenance items and one of them was installing a new leather wrap on the steering wheel. Well, we were out there today giving it a good exterior wash today and as I got around to the front and washing the windshield I noticed a HAIRLINE CRACK IN THE DRIVERS SIDE WINDSHIELD!!!!! I am absolutely totally stumped as to how it happened or even when it happened but it had to have happened while it’s been sitting there. I’ve got no friggin idea how this could have happened and as I said, I was even up in the drivers seat for several hours installing that steering wheel wrap because it had to be laced and it took me awhile. There is absolutely no evidence of a chip or mark on the glass, no tree limbs that have fallen, no hail, no NOTHING. WTH could have caused that???? My son visited a month ago and we were at times all out there sitting and visiting and didn’t notice anything. I had to look real hard at it to even tell that it is indeed a crack. It starte at the center post a couple of inches from the top, heads towards the center and then curves 90° downwards to the bottom…

I’m sick at my stomach.

Ok so. ‘82 310……does anyone know if they are even still available to buy new?

I know at one time that there is a company called Coach Glass that one could purchase from but I thought I had read on here that they are not an option anymore.

I sprayed water from the hose directly on it and it doesn’t leak right now. We were planning on a short trip in the next few weeks, should we nix that idea?

I would assume it will get worse. It seems to go all the way to the center post to the bottom. I’ll take a closer look when the sun isn’t so directly on it. It’s such a fine hairline crack that it looks more like a scratch than a crack. You can’t feel it by running your finger over it or your fingernail doesn’t catch on it inside or out.

Total bummer. No idea how this happened.

Any info is much much appreciated. Kinda makes me sick.

Seems common for glass to crack while just sitting in the drive if you’re located in the mountains (I live at 5000 ft elevation in AZ, and have had several windshields crack over the years). Cooling overnight and being warmed by the morning sun is all It takes to turn a tiny chip into a long crack. Windshield glass is laminated. The outer layer will chip or crack but the inner layer normally remains intact unless struck by a large object. It would be no issue still being weatherproof.
Check with your insurance company. In Az glass is covered at no additional cost if you carry full coverage. Maybe the same in your state.
rkgnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:18 AM   #12

Currently Looking...
Norfolk , VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgnaz View Post
Seems common for glass to crack while just sitting in the drive if you’re located in the mountains (I live at 5000 ft elevation in AZ, and have had several windshields crack over the years). Cooling overnight and being warmed by the morning sun is all It takes to turn a tiny chip into a long crack. Windshield glass is laminated. The outer layer will chip or crack but the inner layer normally remains intact unless struck by a large object. It would be no issue still being weatherproof.
Check with your insurance company. In Az glass is covered at no additional cost if you carry full coverage. Maybe the same in your state.
Interesting story about that p/u windshield glass and a mysterious crack appearing without driving or something falling on the windshield. I had a similar experience a a few years ago. My p/u was parked in the attached residential garage on a cold winter day. On the southside of the garage is an entry door with a small glass window. As the afternoon sun swung across the cloudless southern sky, the sun shined through the garage window and warmed a spot on the p/u left side of the windshield. You guessed it. The windshield glass got warm in one place while the glass around that spot was cold. Expansion of the heated glass was substantial and caused just enough stress on the windshield structure to cause a fracture from the glass edge inward about 18". At first, I was stumped. I had not driven the truck in days. Yet, there was a new crack. The windshield was smooth and near perfect with no chips or scratches. I took the p/u to the dealer. The technician used a microscope to look for a glass flaw. He found nothing. At first, the dealer refused to honor the vehicle warranty, claiming that I was responsible for the crack. I explained that if he could not produce a chip or scratch after his examination that I was going to request arbitration from the manufacturer. I was not bluffing. The dealer folded. I got a new windshield a few days later. Then, I went home and added tinting to the garage door window.
Seajudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 02:56 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Did you get your windshield fixed. The glass place mentioned has 2 warehouses. One is in Elkhart in. Me and grosspluter bought our windshields from them. He picked them up while over there. I installed my glass both sides in less than an hour. Went to grospultor house in Chicago and put his in in about 45 minutes. I got a post on the forums you can look up. More detail there it's really quite easy. But do it in a warm place. The rubber needs to be warm and suple in
As for why or how your glass broke. My only thought is 1 you have a peice of old glass or something under your present glas that is creating a pressure point. with the right amount of pressure it all just kind of break at that point.
2 you may have a situation by where your pad the RV is parked on has a low spot. Thus giving the RV a twist. Over time the whole body twists and sets up a tension scenario on spots on the body. Corners of windshields is one of those tension spots. Ha be e you noticed how AS have a rinkle in the body skin on the sides in back mine has that. And it only started after I filled the tank. I think the frames on these things are a little lite behind the axle and there's a bend downward thus the rinkle in the side skins. Mine is on a concrete pad dead level. And I got 4x4 inch blocks at the back of the spring pack to keep the ride height level and take off pressure from the air suspension.. so it's gotta be sag of the frame. Twist in the body can definitely cause a windshield to develop a hairline crack. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote