Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2016, 07:01 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Should I or not-buy Interstate-part 2

Continuing my dilemma. Have done major research within and without this forum. Got wonderful information from many of you and thanks. I have a friend who is suggesting I go a completely different direction, need advise. Price is not a consideration so that should not go into the equation. With an Interstate, I would have to drive 125 miles north to have the Airstream warranty work done. I would have to drive 125 miles south to have the Sprinter warranty work done, just hopefully don’t have to have both on the same day.
I can get a Winnebago Aspect locally. Do any of you have experience with the Winnebago Aspect and if so, how would you compare it to the Interstate?
A few thoughts. Aspect engine is Ford 450, gas. 4000 generator runs on gas. 55 gallon tank. –relieve concerns of finding correct diesel.
Both will pull up to 5000 dingy.
MPG and cost of fuel is not a consideration.
Aspect considerably larger interior.
Thoughts anyone?
Old 04-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Warranty work can be done by any authorized service person, in my experience, unless things are Airstream specific.

Look at that carefully.

Also, for dealer specific needs, many places can give you an overnight hookup on their lot, lessening the stress of the longer drive.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Thanks, according to Airstream dealer, they have to be established with Airstream. In my situation, still 125 miles away.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
Continuing my dilemma. Have done major research within and without this forum. Got wonderful information from many of you and thanks. I have a friend who is suggesting I go a completely different direction, need advise. Price is not a consideration so that should not go into the equation. With an Interstate, I would have to drive 125 miles north to have the Airstream warranty work done. I would have to drive 125 miles south to have the Sprinter warranty work done, just hopefully don’t have to have both on the same day.

I can get a Winnebago Aspect locally. Do any of you have experience with the Winnebago Aspect and if so, how would you compare it to the Interstate?

A few thoughts. Aspect engine is Ford 450, gas. 4000 generator runs on gas. 55 gallon tank. –relieve concerns of finding correct diesel.

Both will pull up to 5000 dingy.

MPG and cost of fuel is not a consideration.

Aspect considerably larger interior.

Thoughts anyone?

If you plan to tow a car and don't mind the larger size of the Winnebago that would seem to be the right choice for you. A lot depends on you travel plans. If you want to stay very mobile don't tow a car and get a B-van like the Interstate. If you plan to travel to a location and stay a week at a time then the Winnebago-car combo will give you more living space and greater flexibility.

Just my 2 cents.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Thanks Mike. Would tow a dingy with whatever I got.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ultimately, you have to decide what you want and are willing to deal with, then be comfortable and create happiness out of your choice.

They are all very personal decisions, specific to each owner.

Nothing will be perfect, you look carefully at your choices, make one, then get out there and enjoy.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Warranty work can be done by any authorized service person, in my experience, unless things are Airstream specific.
That depends on the state. In Louisiana and some other states, motor vehicle warranty work performed free of charge must be performed by an authorized dealer, so my Sprinter-related warranty work had to be performed by a Sprinter dealer. For the OP's case, I don't know if Texas is one of those states because I've never lived there and never had to research the issue.

However, routine maintenance that you pay for (i.e. not related to a defect in workmanship or materials covered by the warranty) can be performed by anyone, nationwide, without voiding the vehicle's warranty, according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the Federal Trade Commission.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I stand corrected.

Maggie
Old 04-15-2016, 10:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Should I or not-buy Interstate-part 2

In reality, many of us don't make the right choice first time. I had a 19' Flying Cloud and after a few months decided the ease and maneuverability of a Class B is more important to us. We don't stay in one place very long, and we prefer to boondock or stay in friends' driveways. So the bottom line is it's very personal to your lifestyle and expectations - whether you're a mover or a relaxer!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
lafayette , Louisiana
Need to decide what your trips are made up of? Mine are 1 or 2 day drives to go a hotel/resort/family/etc---Interstate is great for that type of travel--easy to park--easy to drive in large cities--great mileage---very comfortable---good for a night or two camping
If you are going to camp for 5-10+ days then you might be happier with the larger Winnebago and pulling a car behind. We don't pull a dingy because the Interstate is easy to park and drive in town (and we don't camp but a night or two)
We have to drive an hour to get to our Airstream and Mercedes dealerships--so far that has not been a problem--we have a Mercedes dealer here but they don't service trucks or vans--good luck--can't go wrong either way
oldcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Once again, thanks everyone for your comments.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Palos Verdes Estates , California
Interstate-yes or no

Friends owned an AS Interstate and it was in the shop quite a bit. They got their money back and ended up with a Leisure Travel Van Unity twins and love it. They say there is no comparison to the two. They recommend going with Leisure Travel Van Unity. Good luck!!
debbietaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:18 PM   #13
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Whidbey Island , Washington
Not to throw a monkey wrench into the fray, but have you looked into "Leisure Vans" of Canada? Here is a link to their latest offering - about the cleverest floorplan I've yet seen in a 25' Class C/B. Click on the animator "+" symbols to see the transformation - especially the "Flex" floorplan.

http://leisurevans.com/unity/floorplans.html#anchor

I've never seen a better use of space on a motorhome - and the workmanship is terrific. Had we opted for a dedicated (read motorized) RV we would have purchased this little guy....
christopherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Great looking coach but that does not solve me Sprinter issue with warranty work.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWhereTowed View Post
Great looking coach but that does not solve me Sprinter issue with warranty work.
Leisure vans also have a new model based on a Ford Transit chassis with diesel engine. Don't know much about it - I think they have a video on the website.

They sure seem to make a slick product.

If Airstream class B's are of similar quality standards to what we often hear about new Airstream trailers, I surely wouldn't be shy to look very closely at the competition - maybe hang out on owners forums etc - if shopping for a B.

In fact, I would be shopping for B, but cannot convince my "Mrs" that a B could offer us pros that would outweigh the cons in our situation!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I would avoid all new emissions-compliant diesels which require the use of DEF fluid. In my personal opinion, this new diesel technology has not been around long enough to justify expecting the longevity associated (justifiably) with the old diesels.

We recently got a new Ford Transit to tow the new FC20, but we also considered a self-contained RV like the Winnebago. In either case, gas was the only fuel worth the investment in our opinion . . .

Good luck!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 04:47 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Thanks to all. Love this site. Brian, that is a very nice AS you are pulling. What I do like about the 450 Ford is that it is gasoline, 55 gallon tank, generator runs off of gas, never seem to have a problem finding gas. Looked at one today and it will run any grade from E-5 to E-20. Really like the aspect of being to drive about 5 miles from my house for complete service on the coach and the frame/engine. Decked out, i will still be below the 22K gross weight, so I can go up to 5000 on the toad/dingy. That allows me to load the toad with all my fishing gear, Honda generator and air compressor. Choices, choices.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherb View Post
Not to throw a monkey wrench into the fray, but have you looked into "Leisure Vans" of Canada? Here is a link to their latest offering - about the cleverest floorplan I've yet seen in a 25' Class C/B. Click on the animator "+" symbols to see the transformation - especially the "Flex" floorplan.

http://leisurevans.com/unity/floorplans.html#anchor

I've never seen a better use of space on a motorhome - and the workmanship is terrific. Had we opted for a dedicated (read motorized) RV we would have purchased this little guy....
I'm actually impressed - and I've never seen a B that I liked before. Like that movable bathroom wall on the first model.... Let it all hang out, hide it all, or hide it with knee room too. Nice.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I'm actually impressed - and I've never seen a B that I liked before. Like that movable bathroom wall on the first model.... Let it all hang out, hide it all, or hide it with knee room too. Nice.
Strictly speaking, it isn't a Class B. The living space is built in a box attached to a cab/chassis, so it's a Class C. A small Class C, sometimes erroneously referred to as a B+, but still apples and oranges. Leisure Travel Vans used to make a Class B, but now all they make are small Class Cs.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Pro, actually the dealer I was talking to today made a reference to B+. Had a lot of report cards I would have been very happy with a B+.