Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-27-2003, 09:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Shocks & damper @ CW vs ?

Had my '81 28 MH inspected at a chevy dealer...they called it a "used vehicle inspection" for $220.
It was not a very professionally done exam. They faxed me a handwritten estimate of the stuff needed to be done, which thank God was not very much. Nonetheless, it'll be about 2K to bring it up to par with the servicing they recommend. I had to ask them to look at things they didn't think of, and yet they called it an inspection they give before selling their used cars! They sure forgot to look at a few things I would consider before purchasing a pre-ownwd auto.
Anyway, I told them that I'll not be servicing it for now. But then I saw in the Campimg World catalog that the Bilsteins are half of what they were going to charge for Monroes at the dealer. So I made an appt. for this Sat. to have them installed. Has anyone had a bad experience with CW?
THey seemed to be courteous on the phone and CHEAPER! Since they don't do engine work, I still need to find me a good mechanic close by...NOT a dealer. Shouls I ask CW to install the rear anti sway bar on my heap? I wonder if it's even needed after the shocks and dampener are done.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 05:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have had only good experience with CW although they don't love the vintage mothorhomes. Bilsteins are easily put on and inexpensive through the right source. They are way above the quality of the Monroes.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 05:59 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
For chassis stuf, CW should be fine. It is a normal P30 so the mechanic and service manager should not give you flak. If they do remind them it is a P30.

I have had trouble when it came to installation of a roof AC on a 65 Safari. I made the Appt and explained to the service writer EXACTLY what I wanted done. When I got there the shop manager started trying to jack the install price up by $200.00. The service sheet said exactly what I wanted and had the pricing all written by a service writer that "used to " work at an Airstream dealer. His reasonoing was that the install fee covered removal and replacement of a non working AC, but not installation of a new one where one was not installed before.

I pulled the unit out out of the bay and parked it in the lot and when to the store manager. I had borrowed a freinds truck and towed the trailer 60 miles to CW to get this done with an 8:00 AM Sat. appointment and I was MAD. I calmy explained to the store manager my situation and he made the service manager make good on the phone order I placed.

I have been told that they WILL NOT remove an Armstrong AC unless you are willing to pay for 4-5 hrs of tech time to pull it. Airstream wanted to be sure that it would not come off and there are tons of screws. They will install a new unit in the place the Armstrong was if you pull in with it already gone for the flat fee though. The service tech said any work on the roof of an AS that is Aluminum causes the price to go up.

BTW if you are interesed they will let you watch them do the work.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 08:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Shocks and dampener done!

Well, got them done today at Camping World. Front Bilstein steering dampener and 4 Bilstein shocks, plus oil change and lube for $707. out the door. Wow, what a difference! They told me the stuff they took out was OEM...original equipment! 22 years old. The ride now must be how it was when new.
The only problem I had was that the actual mechanic who worked on it showed me that I have dual exhaust (no headers), and that they would have to charge me extra to move the pipe away from the rear shocks to be able to remove them. Well, HOMEY DON'T PLAY DAT! I told him the advertised price and that was all I'll be paying. They called a manager over as I slowly walked away to Denny's for lunch with my two boys. When I returned, it was done and they didn't even mention any other charges. i think since I was holding a Gear Vendors info sheet they wanted my business later
Old 09-07-2003, 05:51 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hello everyone, I'm also due a set of new shocks. How can I find out what the correct Bilstein shock is for a '82 310?
Thank and happy trails...Stuart
Old 09-07-2003, 07:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Shocks for everyone!

You can call or web browse camping World, either corporate or local, and ask for their catalog. They have models and years of MH and the stock numbers for Bilstein shocks listed on those pages. That's nice if you aren't very near to a CW, you may still buy them locally with the correct part number. But I researched the prices, and I couldn't find any cheaper than theirs, and install was only $18. per shock.
You may look into the steering dampener too.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:09 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

A What?

What is a steering Damper?

We just bought a new diesel 3/4 ton pick up. Do I need any special add on's for the steering?

We have to go to TX. to get our new 25' AS. Never camped before so appreciate all the info we can get.

Carol
Old 09-22-2003, 08:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Carol,

The dampener is the 'horizontal' shock absorber up front between the two front wheels that allows the vehicle to go over rough terrain without letting the steering wheel tear your arms off from severe left to right movements.

Basically it 'dampens' the jerky steering to one of smooth velvety delight. After I changed mine, I can drive with one hand now instead of "grabbing" the steering wheel and white knuckling it down the road. It was a good workout, though.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:14 AM   #9
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Bilstein Site for P30 Applications

There is a great chart on the Bilstein site for P30 applications.

http://www.bilstein.com/products/motorhomespecs2.html

One note "SD" means Steering Damper. I just put the BE3-2645 on my 345 this weekend and took it for a spin down I-65. Now trucks pass me and I don't get blown all over the road. Ordered a pair of the front shocks (B46-1173) from the guy on ebay so I'm hoping the will level out my “porpoising” action...it'll be like a new motorhome!

I changed this myself. Simple with a socket set and a pair of vise grips. Certainly something a shade tree mechanic could tackle on a Saturday afternoon.

I have an extra steering damper for sale if anyone wants it. It's a brand new take off and I'll sell it for $20. I never installed it...long story but I bought two thinking they were front shocks (oops) so I installed the one and am selling the other) It'll fit an 1985-2001 P30 (except I-Beam). Just PM me.

Steven
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
that model did not fit yours as shocks? It was specified for the 85 and later as shock AND damper. In the earlier years it was only the damper. Surprised to hear it did not fit...
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:34 PM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Alan,
No they both turned out to be steering dampers. They have the straight through connection on one end and the tapered bolt on the other. The shocks are through bolted (eyelets) on both sides.

Bought the front shocks last night from the shock guy on ebay.

Steven
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote