Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2003, 08:51 PM   #1
rdm
2 Rivet Member

Satellite Equipment

What is the best way to handle satellite tv while on the road
Should you use a portable unit or something like trac vision.
Your comments are appreciated
thanks
Ray
rdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 06:31 AM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Cost difference of a hard mount trac vision versus a portable unit is obviously huge.
One other thing to consider is that a hard mounted system may not always give you a signal in your camp spot, whereas the portable system offers more flexibility in regards to location.
I have been traveling with a portable unit for 3 years now and the only problem I have encountered is the loss of my programming signal at the receiver. Sometimes after weeks of non-use. I have to contact directv and have them resend the signal to the receiver.
I ususally check before I leave on a trip, which saves me from having to call them on the cell phone from some remote location.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 06:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Peter

Do you have a receiver and card in the MH? I planned on having a receiver in the MH and just taking the card from my home receiver and installing it in the MH receiver.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 07:06 AM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by 74Argosy24MH
Peter

Do you have a receiver and card in the MH? I planned on having a receiver in the MH and just taking the card from my home receiver and installing it in the MH receiver.

John

Be careful here. I don't believe that this technique will work on Dish Network receivers.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 07:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
It's Direct TV, but they probably operate the same. Another of my bright ideas down the tubes.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 07:30 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
No can do....

74Argosy24MH, the cards are "married" to their respective IRD's. This prevents shuffling cards around various locations, such as bars to get "blacked out" sporting events. They don't want you taking your card out and putting it in a buddies IRD to get HBO for the evening, and other such things.

I have the new RCA IRD that is about the size of book. Real easy to unhook from the house and take on a trip in the RV.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 08:28 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm looking at a DISH PVR508 unit to replace one of my old receivers at home. One of the benefits is the ability to record programming on the hard drive in the unit. A thought I had would be to load up the disk with programming and take the unit with me to use for playback purposes only. While its not a direct hookup to the dish, for short weekends or areas where you can't get a clear line of site to the satellite, its an alternative.

Dish has a special for their longer term customers where this unit is going for $150.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 10:00 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have Sat TV at home and like most TV addicts, I am always watching.

I thought long and hard about getting a system for the Bambi, but I know from exp that the hard mounted systems are a PITA(pain in the ass) to get locked onto a signal. I could not imagine trying to mess with it on top of an RV.

In that case, the auto track system I feel would be the best. Hopefully in a few years, it will be cost effective, as right now, it's like smokes (not that I smoke). You rasie the price high enough an some will no longer smoke. In my case, watch TV when out around the country.

I also have considered getting one of those cards that connect to a PC and well (for when I'm on the road if I ever get a dish for the Bambi), let's just say it makes it like it was in the old days, when cable was easy to "borrow". Anyone interested in the web site can send me a PM and I will get the URL for you next week.

To me, I wouldn't consider it as bad since I'd be only getting what I would normally get when home, just xfer it to the road.

Never underestimate the power of denial!

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote