Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Safe way to stop in new orleans

We are going to Florida in sprinter from Oklahoma. Two choices-through Atlanta or New Orleans. Prefer New Orleans. Is it safe to stop and see French quarter? If so, where do I stop for the night? Thanks
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsprinter View Post
We are going to Florida in sprinter from Oklahoma. Two choices-through Atlanta or New Orleans. Prefer New Orleans. Is it safe to stop and see French quarter? If so, where do I stop for the night? Thanks
Hi, We were just there on our last trip. I believe it was called the French Quarter RV Resort. It is right in the middle of town and you can walk to Bourbon street from there. It is a nice secure place, but plan on spending close to $100.00 per night. Trust me, it's worth it to stay there.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Another vote for the French Quarter RV Resort.

Very secure and gated, very nice facilities.

It is a bit pricey, but it is also on the edge of the Quarter so you can walk anywhere. If you are out well into the night...and seeing Bourbon Street in all its glory must be done at least once ....grab a cab back.

If you have Passport America, you can get 50% off one night if you stay for two or more.

When you leave, take a drive thru the Garden District.

Have a good time. It is a special place.

Maggie
Old 11-04-2015, 05:42 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If the French Quarter RV Resort is outside your budget, the next-best and much cheaper alternative is Bayou Segnette State Park, across the river. Then you would drive to the Algiers-Canal Street Ferry, park before boarding, then ride across as a pedestrian. The ferry will drop you off right at the end of Canal Street at the corner of the French Quarter.

Do NOT take the Gretna Ferry even though it's closer to the State Park, because it will drop you in a bad neighborhood when you cross the river.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:01 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bayou Segnerte SP and the Algiers Ferry is a great option, and one we have done many times.

I always suggest that those who want to partake of the nightlife, and see the Quarter after dark, stay at the FQRV resort.....easy to get back to by cab at any time of the night, and if you are a tad bit inebriated, it is still safe.

It just depends on what you want and like to do.

Maggie
Old 11-04-2015, 06:03 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Safe way to stop in new orleans

We too were a bit concerned about staying in NOLA this past winter on our way to southwest in January. Recommendations from forum members lead us to stay just outside at "conveniently located" Fontaine Bleau State Park http://www.fontainebleaustatepark.co...state_park.htm. We really enjoyed our stay and a nice scenic drive over Lake Ponchatrain into the French Quarter where we parked at a convenient parking lot which seemed reasonable and safe. Spent the day in the French Quarter enjoyed all the tastes, sounds and spirit of the French Quarter!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
RV stay in New Orleans

There is a small private Rv park about 15 minutes from French Quarter. Clean and safe but just two long rows of rvs. Full hookups with cable $30. For $5pp each way they will take you to French Qtr. Laundry, showers, small pool and hot tub, small dog walk area. Can't remember name but it's in RV Reviews. We were not the only Airstream there. I can find name later today.
horseylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
here's another vote for the French Quarter RV Resort...we stayed for 2 nights in Spt.(weekdays)...it is expensive but for a short stay it was worth the convenience of being so close to the French Quarter...weekdays are less expensive than weekends...the rates during special events including football games are exorbitant!!!...

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
Stardust

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Seabrook , Texas
FQ RV Resort

We stayed there for two nights three weeks ago. They do accept Good Sam discount (10 percent). We thought good value even though a little pricey. Staff was wonderful.
nwdionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Heed the advice at FQ Resort...it is in the FQ but not in the best of neighborhoods to take a cab or be in groups. Guess that is why it is gated.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #11
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We stayed at Pontchatrain landing. A little bit out of town but they have a shuttle into the FQ. Rates are not bad and the place was clean and well groomed. We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed it. Would not hesitate to stay again.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:48 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by badkat View Post
Heed the advice at FQ Resort...it is in the FQ but not in the best of neighborhoods to take a cab or be in groups. Guess that is why it is gated.
Actually it's not in the French Quarter. It's outside the Quarter, but within walking distance of it (at least in daylight; after dark, take a cab). You can see it from I-10.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
For us, we said the heck with NO altogether and went just west of NO to the Cajun Palms RV Resort and went to a bunch of Cajun towns and had a real ball with the food and Resort festivities. NO is just too touristy and has too many places not safe for us. If the food and culture is what you are looking for, the the Cajun Palms is a blast.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Augusta , Kansas
FQRV resort. 3 or 4 blocks north of FQ. If it is late and you are alone , spring for a 3 block taxi ride. It is really nice and you dont use your vehicle at all.
submirj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
The French Quarter RV Resort is safe and as far as we are concerned a great location. We have stayed there twice in the past two years; the last time was just a few weeks ago. Lots of RV parks call themselves "resorts" The French Quarter RV Resort is worthy of being called a resort. Yes, it is expensive ($85/Night) but it has immaculate facilities including ice machine, hot tube, swimming pool, exercise room, immaculate laundry and bathrooms but most importantly you don't need to drive anywhere. The French Quarter is an easy walk. My wife and I aren't night owls so I don't know if it is safe to walk from TFQRVR to the French Quarter at night but it is not a problem during the day. Tour buses pick you up at the resort if you want to take a tour. The staff will set tours up for you if you want them to. So we think that it's worth the extra $'s. Hope that this helps; safe travels!
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Thanks for al the great Advice.

I'm Planing to do NO in the next few weeks so this is very helpful. Plus I have a Dog so I can plan my days around him in the trailer, of find a pet boarding accommodation for a day.

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote