Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Replacing Coolant Reservoir

1975 Argosy 24 with the Chevy 454

So I emptied and flushed my radiator (which was surprisingly clean), replaced all my coolant lines, and removed all components of the dash A/C to eliminate weight and to clear air flow for the other radiators (there are four other rads present!). The a/c compressor had already been disconnected, and from what I've been reading, the dash A/C is largely ineffective, mostly steals power, blocks airflow to the main rad, and creates extra engine heat, and everyone is using their genny and rooftop A/C when traveling anyway.

For the final step of the coolant system process, I pulled the cracked coolant reservoir, and when I did, it crumbled into tiny little bits (I guess heat, time, and UV rays will do that to plastic).

I assume it doesn't matter *what* reservoir is used as a replacement, as long as it has enough volume and the in/out hoses function in the same way as the original. The issue I'm running into is... the original return hose was just dangling there from the reservoir cap, so I'm not sure where that hose should re-enter the system. Probably a stupid question, but this is really the first gas powered vehicle that I've dug into deep, so I need some information on where that coolant line should reattach to the system (I assume somewhere on the actual radiator?). Advice on sourcing a decent reservoir (possibly one that holds up better to the elements!) would also be appreciated.

p.s. While I was in there working on the coolant system, I bumped the windshield fluid reservoir and it crumbled in the same manner, so I need to replace that as well.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Henniker , New Hampshire
You should have one hose from the radiator to the reservoir - it is both in and out. The second line from the reservoir is an overflow and just hangs down below the reservoir to discharge on the ground. I guess we weren't as environmentally enlightened back in the day!

My overflow is still original so I can't help with that but this is the washer tank/pump I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefair View Post
You should have one hose from the radiator to the reservoir - it is both in and out. The second line from the reservoir is an overflow and just hangs down below the reservoir to discharge on the ground. I guess we weren't as environmentally enlightened back in the day!
Even if it were the case (which I don't think it is), I certainly wouldn't replicate that set up. My 1975 has one hose going from the side of the main fill port (where the pressurized metal radiator cap is) to the reservoir cap, and then another hose from the reservoir cap that I believe is supposed to return to the radiator (I think this is the hose you mention above). One of the ports in the reservoir cap ends at the cap, the other is attached to a short hose inside the reservoir that reaches to the bottom of the reservoir tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefair View Post
My overflow is still original so I can't help with that but this is the washer tank/pump I used:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the heads up on the windshield washer tank and pump!
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote