Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
Propane Smell inside coach

2016 Airstream Interstate Grand tour.
Experiencing bad propane smell inside coach. For info. Used the stove to cook breakfast this morning. Left coach most of the day. Came back after 8 hours and noticed smell inside. Strange thing is that when I checked the propane switch outside the coach, it was in the off position. Now Iím really confused as to how I was able to use the stove to cook with the switch on off this morning. Any help appreciated.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Do you have an LP detector? It should be going off if it is LP. Might want to get a portable one and plug it in to see if it goes off. Also if your LP tank is turned off, then there should be no LP going through the system. But better to be safe.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:49 PM   #3
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Propane switch? Are you talking about the valves on the tanks or do you have a solenoid/switch setup? If it's anything other than the valves on the tank, then my first step would be to ensure that the mechanism is working and actually shutting off the gas.

Are you certain that it's LP you're smelling? Could it be battery fumes? The sulfur smell from batteries is sometimes confused for LP, and if your batteries are boiling/overcharging they can create quite a stink.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:49 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for reply. The smell has disappeared. We do have a detector that is working and it did not go off. My concern now would be the fact that propane came thru the lines with the switch on off. The coach has a built in propane tank that Is under the coach. There is a black box mounted outside that has a switch that needs to be turned on for propane to flow. Iím hoping thatís correct. The box also contains the valve for propane to be added. If I run the generator, I also have to make sure that same switch is in the on position .
Old 11-03-2021, 05:56 AM   #5
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
You still might want to do a little binary testing on that solenoid to be certain that it cycles on/off as it should. Turn it on and see if there are any leaks. Then turn it off and see how long it takes for a lit stove to run out of gas.

One though I had is perhaps there was enough residual propane in your lines for your stove to burn for a while. If you light the stove and then turn off the system, you'll either learn just how long it burns with the switch in the 'off' position, or you'll learn that the switch isn't working.

Another suggestion is to get one of the small battery-powered LP sniffers. You can use it to check for leaks. Works even in places where squirting soapy water wouldn't since they have a long enough snout to get behind things and into places you can't see.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I second Richard's suggestion: Make sure this is propane and not a boiling battery.

Just to confirm, the 2916 Interstate does have a solenoid valve for the propane cut-off. If I'm not mistaken, it's default is OFF, so an electrical failure will close the flow of propane.

Lynn
Old 11-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
1st off , have a reputable service place look for leaks , loose fittings etc.

And have them tell you the correct terms for what " you think your talking " , propane switch - most that I have seen are automatic crossover valves = one tank runs out - it crosses over to the other tank to keep running which ever device uses propane .
Then only " shutting off " it does is if you disconnect an empty tank to refill - if in the correct position , no gas comes out of the disconnected end --- double check by putting ear & nose close to see if the disconnected line is leaking - if leaking move switch to other side .

Next is , the only problem you may have is - when a tank is close to empty - the oil added to propane [ to indicate leaks ] the smell comes out - refill tank .
for the last many decades of using these propane systems , every time I smell
SMELL IS THE OIL , generally you can not smell propane , I am within hours of that tank being out of gas .
85 Excella , 31' , electric brakes , R. twin [ would like it to be a single ] , future upgrades , composting toilet [ replace black water tank with a 2nd fresh ] , solar power , instant hot water heater .
Tow 94 Dodge Ram , 4x4 , Cummins , AT .
JohnTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Daniels , West Virginia
I would be concerned also that the detector did not enter alarm status
rich e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I will make an appointment to have it checked out now that I am back home. FYI, the propane tank is not removable like some that are on trailers. Will update whenever it is resolved. Thanks again all of you. Good to know that in a crunch people are here to help.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:15 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Sewer smell, maybe?
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote