Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2003, 06:47 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Adams , Tennessee
original Finish

Does anyone have a procedure for cleaning and restoring
the aluminum finish to the origional look without making it a
mirror. I have searched on polishing and I only see a few posts
that actually deal with a product name and not much on the
how to and what works best. Nuvite and southern shine have
been tossed around along with walbernize. I understand that
the clearcoat must be purchased from an Airstream dealer
anyone know what this stuff costs and the best way to apply it ?
is it sprayed on ect. ? I plan on purchasing a cyclo machine and associated bonnets and such but there seems to be several
procedures that work. How would the factory do it ? I have reinstalled a cap on my 310 and the marker lights need to matched up with polish and clearcoat in order to more closely
match the new top. It came with clearcoat already on it and
it looks a darker or grayer color that some other panels on the coach. Just wondering if I can make them closer to the same
shade.
Bfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 07:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i had my coach refinished in helen ohio and i had new panels also. all they did was polish the end caps and spray plasticote on the rest. if i was doing it my self i would polish the roof line front to rear caps included. that way it would be a little cooler inside.
al
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 07:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
you cant get the plasticote from jackson center . they have a epoxy base that will kill you of you inhale it. im told that sherwin williams has the product if you know what to ask for.
i plan to go to the airstream home comming and one of the things i was going to do was get a source for the plasticote.
forgot to mention that they stripped the entire coach and blew it off with a high pressure washer. got to work front to rear or you will get into the coach and bloiw out the seams. i plan to polish my roof next spring .will let you know2 what i find out . maybe some one knows a source for the plasticote and will post for us.
al
Old 08-11-2003, 12:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Al - are the end caps not supposed to be plasticoated? I thought mine were. I do have a few small faded spots where bird dropping and such have taken off the coat...read where we could spray clear coat over those, and also that it might "curl" up where it hits the older clear coat. Any thoughts? I would like to spray those small spots. None is bigger than 6" or so, and so far no peeling is happening.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 05:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
THE END CAPS ON MY COACH WAS POLISHED BY P&S IN HELEN OHIO AND THEN PLASTICOATED. THE ONLY THING I HAVE DONE IS TO TRY TO SEAL WHERE I USED SUCTION CUPS TO HOLD MY GENERATOR STACK . YOU WOULDNT THINK THAT A SUCTION CUP WOULD PULL THE PLASTICOTE OFF BUT THEY DID. AND THE PATCH JOB IS NOT THE BEST. BUT THE SKIN IS SEALED AND THAT IS WHAT YOU REALLY WANT TO DO. THE NEW PLASTICOTE TURNED WHITE IN THE HEAVY SPOTS . I GAVE UP THE MORE I TRYED THE WORSE IT LOOKED.. BUT TRY TO SEAL THE COATING AND PROTECT THE SKIN . USE AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE TO ACCOMPLISH . WAS THE ADVICE I WAS GIVEN . YOU CANT MATCH IT UP . I THINK IN TIME THE NEW PLASTICOTE WILL FADE AND MATCH AND BLEND IN . LOL
AL
Old 08-11-2003, 06:57 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i'm working on it

Quote:
Originally posted by wb13798
you cant get the plasticote from jackson center . they have a epoxy base that will kill you of you inhale it. im told that sherwin williams has the product if you know what to ask for.
i plan to go to the airstream home comming and one of the things i was going to do was get a source for the plasticote.
forgot to mention that they stripped the entire coach and blew it off with a high pressure washer. got to work front to rear or you will get into the coach and bloiw out the seams. i plan to polish my roof next spring .will let you know2 what i find out . maybe some one knows a source for the plasticote and will post for us.
al
hey al,

i'm working on finding out what exactly plasticote is.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=5881

if you find anything out, please let me know.

i will do likewise.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote