Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2014, 10:26 PM   #1
RJT

2012 Interstate Coach
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Post Onan Generator 2.5KW Microlite

Installed in Airstream Intersatate. A year ago, while under warranty, the generator died while running and powering the AC on a hot day. It restarted but would not continue running unless the starter button was continually depressed. (In that condition it does not generate electricity.) Cummins Onan fixed it but did not explain to the RV dealer the cause of the problem or what was done to fix it.

It was working fine on a recent trip until one morning when the same problem reoccurred. It started but stopped running as soon as the starter button was disengaged. Unable to obtain assistance from either the Airstream RV dealer or the Cummins Onan dealers in Knoxville we went to campgrounds with shore power. A day or two later we tested the generator. It started and it worked properly. It also worked on subsequent tests.

The only difference between the evening it worked and the next morning when it didn't was a rainfall over night.

One additional odd issue that may or many not have any relevance. I usually have the control switch for the power source set on AUTOMATIC. On one occasion while plugged into shore power the control unit indicated that it was under a HEAVY LOAD. I moved the switch to LINE POWER and the HEAVY LOAD indicator went off. Everything worked so i switched it back to AUTOMATIC and it continued to work.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:30 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I am thinking the "auto" feature got fried. AS should help fix.

If a "rain" helped, I would check all electrical connections especially ground.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:19 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJTennessen View Post
Installed in Airstream Intersatate. A year ago, while under warranty, the generator died while running and powering the AC on a hot day. It restarted but would not continue running unless the starter button was continually depressed. (In that condition it does not generate electricity.) Cummins Onan fixed it but did not explain to the RV dealer the cause of the problem or what was done to fix it.
I had exactly the same problem. What had happened to me was that the generator's voltage regulator fried. Literally. My Cummins dealer showed me the scordched circuit board after they replaced it.

When you start the generator, you're spinning the starter, and sparking the spark plug, off the house batteries. But as soon as the engine starts and you release the start switch, spark is provided by the generator itself, through the voltage regulator. With the voltage regulator not working, there's no spark and the engine dies.

It's rare, but it happens.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
My Onan in the B190 had a tendency to do that on really hot days - i.e., when I needed it the most - it would die for no discernible reason, then would work fine later. I always figured it was overheating or something like that.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
On my Allegro Bus, I had a similar problem with my 10,000 watt Onan What was discovered at Cummins Rocky Mountain near Denver was the control connection plug from generator to controls had come loose. This was cleaned, reconnected, silicone seal placed around it to help keep it tight and it never gave a problem The dealer was an exceptionally good service center and took me back into the shop to explain the issue and show me how to fix it myself if it reoccurred.

I was given such an excellent explanation such as "this is a 90% solution, replacing the plug is the 100% repair" and the charge was very reasonable.

I believe anyone in the Denver area would be well advised to seek service at this Cummins service center in Henderson. They also recommended a great restaurant.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote