Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
bwoodtx is right on. It is no big deal if willing to do the work. Essentially the 'no title, no deal' rule is the easy rule to avoid complications. If you research the system and discover how to proceed before executing you can learn from the research instead of your mistakes. To make it even easier, all the states DOTs talk to each other now, not like back in 2003 and prior, therefore the threat of losing your bonded title is much less significant.

Life is about choices. People make their choices based on their comfort with risk. I prefer risk mitigation over being risk adverse. However, everyone has their comfort zone, and is free to operate within it.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:50 PM   #22

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knudsvig View Post
We are looking at an airstream that came from another state but refurbished here. It is registered in Texas but that's only good for 2 years. That was one year ago. What happens after 2 years?
Get them to explain to you how it is that it's registered in Texas without being titled in Texas. Then get someone at the county tax office or the state DMV to tell you if their explanation is legally defensible or not.

I suspect that either it's titled in Texas (in which case getting a copy of the title should be trivial and refusal to do so would smell bad) or it's got tags that belong to another trailer.

Re: the question about 2-year registration: I don't know for a fact that it was available to trailers, but multi-year registration WAS an option in Texas for motor vehicles in recent years, however it was never well-publicized. It didn't save you any money, just the hassle of dealing with it each year. That option ended with the decision to change to just one sticker for both registration and inspection in mid-2015. I don't know if that change pertains to trailers at all, though, since small (weight-wise) trailers don't need to be inspected at all.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Trailers are still eligible for multi-year registration in Texas.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
What's the rest of the story on the trailer beside the title issue ? It's very easy to get taken on a "refurbished " trailer.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1998 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Young Harris , Georgia
In Georgia, titles are required on vehicles 1986 and newer, optional on 1963-1985, and not required (and not issued, I believe) on 1962 and older. So its possible to have a perfectly legitimate vintage trailer with no title at all.
Getting a Georgia Title - FAQs | Department of Revenue
Koheleth is offline   Reply With Quote