Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2005, 05:52 AM   #1
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Motorhome vs Travel Trailer

I currently have a 2005 Safari and I am thinking of purchasing a motorhome (hopefully one of the new ones that Airstream will be coming out with next year). My question is (price aside), what are the advantages / disadvantages of a motorhome vs a travel trailer? I would particularly like to hear from those who have switched one way or another.
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:57 AM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Good question! Check out this thread for a lengthy discussion about this topic.

And this thread as well.

And this one.....

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO
I currently have a 2005 Safari and I am thinking of purchasing a motorhome (hopefully one of the new ones that Airstream will be coming out with next year). My question is (price aside), what are the advantages / disadvantages of a motorhome vs a travel trailer? I would particularly like to hear from those who have switched one way or another.
Hi. Sure am glad I read these posts here as I am in the process of deciding on a Purchase and have looked at both options and am now leaning heavily in favor of the AS-TT. I looked at classic MHs such as BB Wanderlodges and I like their quality bulletproof construction but the weight-what some 30000 lbs.is a turnoff along with their corresponding Fuel Economy. You need training to safely drive one of thse heavy rigs on the Road. Contrast that to a classic AS-TT that weighs around 5000 lbs.(maybe 1000 lbs. more max. loaded-I'm single) and maybe a 5.7L diesel tow vehicle that can be used as more then a MH and for me its a no brainer. I am not independently wealthy and will be working as Nurse for the next several years. I have looked at Many nice used classic AS and a few Avions all for well under $10,000. I only will be transportating the TT to NW-Penna for 5 summer/fall months and then hooking up again fopr the trip back to Florida for the Winter and I just don't like to leave a Big MH engine sitting for months on end and not driving it on the road on a regular basis. As a daily driver of Diesel Cars Now-I know the importance of getting these vehicles on the road and giving them a good carbon cleaning run at 65mph-important. Leave 'em sit and you have problems. Ben there, done that! A TT for me IMHO.(plus for quick safe backing in chores, you can have a front ball installed on the Tow Vehicle and eliminate this problem)
miamimike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
This topic just came up in our house this week, we are looking at several options and right now the current winner IMHO is to keep the 75 Sovereign and buy a 79 28' MoHo...Airstream of course I have my eye on a local 2 owner one. I haven't had the opportunity to check it out yet, but the downpayment isn't too bad, and it does have complete service records.

We had considered the BB Wanderlodge, but for the amount and type of travel we do it is serious overkill, besides...it isn't an Airstream!

The other option was an upgraded tow vehicle and a newer AS trailer

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Airstream makes travel trailers?

Don't forget even the "big" 345s are only 15,000 lbs. Far smaller, lighter and...well...cooler looking that a BB imho.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #6
Airstream Classic

I'll chime in on this one. I too considered both the TT and MH prior to purchasing my 345 MH. The best thing about my MH is that the kids can roam freely while traveling and I don't have to make 50 restroom stops on the way to our destination. If you don't already have a vehicle to pull a trailer, like me, the motorhome is the best solution.
airstream963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We switched from an Airstream 25' Tradewind trailer to our present 28' Classic motorhome "Chummy" and have never had a regret. Main reason was for the ease of set up and the type of camping we like to do. When we travel we can pull into a park, almost always a state park, and be set up in less than ten minutes. If we are only staying for the night all I need to do is level and turn off the engine. In the winter time we may never leave the motorhome if the snow is too deep. Chummy is small enough that we can use him as our travel around and sightseeing vehicle, which means we always carry a full size fridge and tasty lunches. If we stop for food we can take our left overs with us. While we are driving my wife can walk around, change seats, work on her scrap books, grab some snacks, read books to our grandson, or play a game with him. When we do set up for a long term camp with our screen house and all, we still use Chummy to get around for day trips. It only takes a few minutes to get him ready to roll and then set back up when we return and what a great vehicle for a "road trip." This is the most convenient way to camp that I can ever imagine. as for gas mileage, with my Isuzu diesel I am getting 15MPG. Not many friends get that with thier tow vehicles.
I am not sure how the economics would work out with the new AS motohomes due to thier high purchase price but with our classic, even with the constant repair bills this is a cheap way to camp. Then there is the added bonus of having the most unique greatest looking motorhome in the park. We have never stayed and I repeat the never in any park that we have not given a tour or two of Chummy. I love the attention otherwise I would be driving a Winnebago or a BlueBird.
I forgot to mention how much easier it is to back into a campsite, you do not have to worry about hitching and unhitching. No stabilizers, sway bars, and nothing swinging around in back as you drive. A motorhome can be operated by one person. I could go on and on but I think you might be getting the message that I am in favor of the motorhome.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
You get to a campground, you set up your trailer, unhook, connect, etc. Then you find out you a)don't like the campsite b) are in the wrong campsite c) don't like the campground. You disconnect lines & hoses, back up the tow vehicle, connect to the trailer, get ready..pull out. In the Motorhome you disconnect lines and hoses, drive off.
That is an over simplification...but it applies to us also when we travel without a towed car...we unhook...drive the AS like a big Van (NASA VAN)...and sight see. It only became a hassle in towns where the streets are very tight, like Charleston,SC. There we towed and used our Saturn as local transport.
But on many trips the AS has become both home and transport. It also works great for short day trips as a beach cabana, a lucheon spot while pulled over in a rest area, and so on.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Here on the park, I differeniate between motorhomes and travel trailers on the one hand and 5th wheels on the other. Since we have a bunch of backins, and we practice "assisted parking," I'm the one who gets to do the assisting. And from that work, I can tell you right away that I'd prefer either a motorhome or a travel trailer any day over a 5th wheel!

Lynn
Old 02-16-2007, 04:39 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
TT or motorhome

I know this was started a long time ago but seems to still be on the front page so am adding my 2 cents.
We just sold a foretravel motorhome that I loved but my husband spent all his time with repairs. You have a generator and a engine that need attention . You have all the interior electrical items and it is a endless tracking of what and where all the time. Fortunately he was capable of finding problems and solving them. If you have to pay for it, you better have a lot of $$.
The next issue is length. He was just tired of hauling the long 40 ft plus a tow car. We lived in it during the summer and although I loved the room and the washer/dryer we had I will make do and hopefully travel will be easier in our AS at 28 ft. If not we will be downsizing again.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
since my post above I have switched to a trailer also. The best part is the lack of winter maintenance on it.With my motorhome I was always keeping the batteries up, warming up the engine and checking everything. With the trailer I winterize the water system, and that is about it.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 06:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
For all of the reasons listed in this thread and others on the subject we traded the SOB MOHO for our Silver Bullet. The main reason though was because the tow person loved towing any kind of rig with his Cowboy Caddy! The MOHOs definitely have more storage space in the basement if you aren't a 'less is more' person. If you select a MOHO that is other than a vintage model, you may want to consider carrying a tree trimmer in the basement! Like Kent, if you find a vintage, expect knocks on the door. It seems that everyone loves to tour the vintage Airstream MOHOs, including myself. You're doing the right thing with research on this Forum so good luck with your decision and then get out there and join us on the highways and byways. We love pictures so send one or two.
Have fun and HAPPY TRAILS
Old 02-16-2007, 06:49 AM   #13
tdljazz

1978 31' Sovereign
Fabens , Texas
After reading all of the replies, it seems that one reason to have a tt has been overlooked. I have had large and small mh's and the same with tt & tc's. The main reason I like the tt is that when (thankfully not often) I have engine trouble, I don't have a bunch of mechanics in my 'house'. I don't have to leave my 'house' with strangers and usually I can stay in my 'house' where the tow vehicle is being serviced.
tdljazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:19 AM   #14
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdljazz
After reading all of the replies, it seems that one reason to have a tt has been overlooked. I have had large and small mh's and the same with tt & tc's. The main reason I like the tt is that when (thankfully not often) I have engine trouble, I don't have a bunch of mechanics in my 'house'. I don't have to leave my 'house' with strangers and usually I can stay in my 'house' where the tow vehicle is being serviced.
To take this up one more level..... If you belong to Good Sams they will tow your TV to the nearest service center and if it is going to take more than a day or two for repairs they will tow your trailer to the nearest campground! No spending the night in some repair station parking lot!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
I have had TT's for about 30 years and full timed in a 34' Avion for over five years. It was great but now that I'm older, 65, I camp less and have downsized to a Classic 250 moho. It is short enough to go just about anywhere yet has most the amenities of a larger class A. No hooking up or unhooking, just park and camp. I think you need to consider your situation at the time. Conditions change. Rug rats grow up (well you know what I mean). After I backed the 34' Avion into low Oak tree limbs, twice, it was time to downsize. But I gotta tell you, if you get a classic airstream moho, stand by for a lot of attention.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
On top of all that ...
1. There's nothing quite as pretty as an Airstream TT all set up in a campground.
2. Don't have to go up so many stairs ... went through a Mountain Aire at the RV show last week-end and there were NINE steps up into the living area!
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote