Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: A reliable and good Van 90-96 Ford Airstream 190 is possible with less than 5k?
Absolutely 1 25.00%
Probably 0 0%
With much effort 0 0%
You are crazy 3 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2014, 02:34 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
1993 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Edgewather , New Jersey
Motorhome Van Airstream 190 Ford '90 - '97

Hi I thank you in advance for your help everyone and introduce myself since I am new to your forum, and I apologize first if I do not write something good, very courts do not hear or understand. But now I'm trying to improve my English, I am happy that people found so enthusiasts Airstream 190, of which I'm falling.

I tell them that I am in USA for a long vacation this week the day September 22 will abide a month in Manhattan, only income is driving me crazy because it is way too expensive, so I woke up that old dream of traveling a great season in a motorhome .

We are a young couple and want to buy a ready vehicle for traveling 4 months ago by USA, up to Niagara and then back to take him to Mexico City to leave on weekends to arround this excellent mechanically to not give us any problem and preferred not having to make repairs (or only very small, meaning that the budget is limited prefer less than 5k but my max is 10k)

For all this I thought the class B Motorhome 19ft Airstrem 190 between 93 and 97 would be the best choice for not paying rent and invest in the vehicle with which we could learn more about your beautiful country, entering towns without complications park.

I request your help will be of great support to me as I am already overwhelmed I started looking for a Winnewbago Vectra 94 after a Toyota Dolphin and finish deciding for the 190 but with so many ads that appear but are no longer available and people who do not answer I can not locate an the best option for us.

You have one more recommendation of where to look, the link will have some that are on sale?

Who recommend me to consider and review the purchase?

If you think of any things that I consider to be useful will be well received, even me down to reality if you think I'm dreaming.

Anyway hope are many questions not overwhelm as I am and if you have questions I Think yes, so I will gladly answer them.

P. D. Here is the email I will send the owner a good option, you would put something or would remove something?

I saw your ad I am very interested in your Motorhome in advance thank you very much for your quick response.

I am a serious and responsible person, would not make him lose his time and would lose mine by writing, I really am very interested ask lots of information and lots of photos to not pay a visit that does not serve anyone, I would like to know everything that you know the history of this vehicle.

We are a young couple traveling in USA now in Manhattan and want to buy a vehicle ready to travel five months preferred to not have to do (only very small), redy repairs without problems, I wonder if you honestly I can recommend this.

Could please send me more pictures in general, especially the interior, engine, mechanical and all wet, stained, torn, or broken parts.

That stuff has the motorhome? That things do not? things that serve? stuff that does not work? this by decomposing? or when do I need to change something ?.

I'll give you thank you very much for taking the time to all information, photos and let me know anything I should know about before I go with you to see if everything is as I said, make the deal.

I hope you understand, do not speak perfect English and I like to have everything clear, I ask him by mail, so I can translate it in google to then call the number you tell me, talk a little and make an appointment to which I can accompany my friend who lives in NYC
CarloAparici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I responded to the poll before I realized you were fixed on a '93 or newer. $5000 is pushing it for one that's in great condition; I've seen B190s in excellent condition sell for around $15,000. But we sold our '91 for less than $5K and while the interior needed some work and there was a spot of rust, mechanically it was solid, and I would've trusted it to drive anywhere, anytime.

I think, for one in ready-to-go condition like you describe, you're probably talking closer to $7500 or $10K.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
There are other considerations to keep in mind. I am from overseas (UK) living in the US and found the vehicle registration system different from anywhere else I have lived/traveled to, also it changes from State to State. Where I live in Massachusetts, when you buy a vehicle you have to get insurance coverage, the insurance company then issue a the paperwork to allow you to register the vehicle and get tags (the number plates), which then allow you to get the vehicle inspected and allowed on the road. The insurance company will require you to have valid driving license etc. This very different than UK where the tags stay with the car and you register as the new owner of the plates/vehicle (effectively transferring ownership). I would advice you to contact some insurance companies where you will register the Van and find out if they are willing to give you coverage before purchasing.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Edgewather , New Jersey
Pleasantly surprised by the quick response

2.-Thank you for the reference, I found this in the 10k rated this page: 1995 Airstream 190 B Van 19 - Texas In another 3,500 on Craigslist: And this 4K 1992 Falcon 190 1999 Pleasure Way Excel Ts Widebody What I'm also contemplating is that they are not so outdated.

A) That you seem?
B) You know of any other options?

3. Thanks also why it had not referred me seems it would not be much of a problem because I have some friends in USA where I could trust and put the vehicle in their name in order to use it, just know that none of the motorhome, take the opportunity to ask

A) Around that price range this insurance?
B) know anything about the formalities for importing the vehicle?
Old 09-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
To keep the cost down you could probably do better buying one of the many Class-C motorhomes built on Ford or Chevy van cutaway chassis. Getting a B190 will cost more to get a reliable unit since there are just less of them available.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
For you insurance pricing you really need to ask your friend to get a quotation as they will need to insure it to be able to register it. The cost will be dependent on their driving history, the value of the MH you buy and where they live. I am not aware of any insurance company that offers coverage for only 5 weeks, so you will probably have to insure for a whole year and then maybe try to cancel and get the remainder of the policy value refunded - I dont know if that is possible. Your friend will also need to pay the tax on the purchase price when they register the MH (the cost of the tax again depends on the state where they live).

Can you try and explain what you mean about importing - are you going to try to take the MH out of the US when you leave?
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:14 AM   #7

Currently Looking...
Edgewather , New Jersey
thanks Boxster I've been looking and have found options how are you, just do not know if real or are trying to mislead, What you think about 3 uper options?

Martin Today speak with 2 different official in Times Square and both told me they could lead to the Mexican driver license and I could buy the vehicle without problems, just answer bine did not know about secure and register to circulate.

Thank you very much if you can continue to help me with any answer or recommendation is welcome
Old 09-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Boxster is real. Read his suggestion again. There are many more small class "c" motorhomes available, so it is easier to find one in good condition at a reasonable price. They just don't look as cool as a 190.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I know of a older couple which gives up Airstreaming they sell there 190 B van for 5k check Graiglist in Chicago area.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
This sounds like a scammer looking for inside info to what would work by getting from the source.
Boxster B+ vs. C you are absolutely right on pricing, livability while stationary but a C would not make a good stealth camper, some cities don't even allow parking on the street for C's while ignoring a small B+. B+ can be used as a daily driver which can be done in a C but only with knowledge of area traveling. He did say he wanted to "would be the best choice for not paying rent"

Homeland security is trying it's best to stop this practice by changing the rules for travel in the USA. CarloAparici needs to do Google search on papers needed and how to stay legal, not how to bypass the system.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
This sounds like a scammer looking for inside info to what would work by getting from the source.
I had that thought too, but I decided to give the benefit of doubt.

Truly stealth would be the Roadtreks based on Ford/Dodge/Chevy vans. Most people don't even realize they are anything other than a regular van. Unlike the Airstream B190s with the fiberglass tops, which stand out like a sore thumb. (I have no idea about pricing on the Roadtreks, either.)

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I would not consider the Airstream B190 as stealth. That big bulging roof is rather hideous in my view.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote