Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2003, 09:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Microwave compared to a convection microwave.

We are going to take out our stove.. as the oven no longer works.. and going to do the counter and cooktop area.. going to a 2 burner cooktop and haven't decided on the brand of microwave or the type.. leaning towards a Samsung Roast and bake.. Has anyone tried these units and are you happy with the changeovers ..?? Thanks..
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:21 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
If I remember right my XC has a magic chef range/oven and I also think the microwave is Magic chef but it also might be Dometic...I know it's one or the other and either way I've had both in previous RV's. Whatever you decide to put in, I highly recommend going with one specifically made for RV's. Appliances made for home eventually develop issues when put in RV's that, well, move. Plus the power draw is much less (usually) on RV specific appliances than residential (for the most part).
I say this with one exception, if you're a full timer in a permanent spot...then I guess residential's fine...as that seems to be the trend in a lot of FWs made for full timing. Though I've seen a lot of massive LG refrigerators in a lot of Class A DP's I've been looking at and I've yet to find out if those are residential sized made for RVs...or if RV manufacturers are literally putting residential appliances in....if that's the case screw that I'd ask for a Dometic anyday...but my RV moves, a lot.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:24 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Sharp! my convection microwave is a Sharp (I just read another thread and it jogged my memory) but my range/oven is a Magic Chef...I'm replacing it with an induction cooktop and dishwasher.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS View Post
Sharp! my convection microwave is a Sharp (I just read another thread and it jogged my memory) but my range/oven is a Magic Chef...I'm replacing it with an induction cooktop and dishwasher.

I really think induction is the way to go. Efficient and no extra heat inside like gas or electric heating elements. Let us know what you find.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have the Dometic convection microwave and love it. It is specifically made for RVs. Our Safari originally came with a Sharp which lasted 6 years.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I just wish we had a turntable option in our microwave/convection. I'd like to be able to disable the turn table when using the convection mode. That would allow use of bigger rectangular pans. The convection process doesn't need a turntable to cook evenly likes the microwave process does.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
My LY diesel pusher came new with a Sharp Convection/microwave. It also has a 3 burner gas range but no oven. That space is used for kitchen drawers.

After I bought the rig last April, the Sharp did not function. Everyone that looked at it said its best to replace with a new unit. Found a nice GE convection/micro for about $450 at Home Depot. Installed it myself and really enjoy how it operates. Because its dual purpose, I would certainly recommend it to anyone doing a conversion and eliminate the old style oven. Use that space for storage or something else.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I read about people removing their LP stove and going with electric but I am not a fan. I believe campers have to be ready for all scenarios or be limited in where they can camp. Cooking is a necessity unless eating out at every turn. So, I updated my stove this past year (LP) but I also have a Duxtop 2 burner cooktop (induction) for times when I am on AC power in campgrounds. I have a convection oven in my home and some things do not cook well with blown heat. I suggest campfire cookery, LP cooking (works boondocking), induction cooking (campgrounds). Point is that cooking mode IMO has a lot to do with where you are.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Cedarcreek , Missouri
We had the microwave/convection combo in our '06 Safari. Hated it! Not so much for the function but it's location and design. I had to get down on my knees, remove my bifocals and wrench my head sideways to read the cook codes! Plus we boondock a bit and I do cook in the galley. Replaced it with a Suburban gas range and love it. My only regret is not going a little more "high end" for appearances, but it functions great!
Mount'n Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:36 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
microwave compared to a convection microwave.

Our trailer currently has a gas range and standard microwave. I want to replace my gas range with a gas oven and one of these for a cooktop. Then swap out the microwave for a convection one and we’ll have gas/electric option for everything. I prefer electric for most things, but gas is good for boondocking when power is limited.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote