Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2004, 04:47 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I think the pressure is set at the factory at 70 psi on the front air bags ( for my 1994), but I'll go check my A/S manual. Went and checked the manual and it states that Airstream sets the pressure to 70 psi prior to aligning the front end.

The following is directly from the Chevy owners manual for my 1994 Land Yacht:

For motorhome models, inflation pressure must be maintained between 10 psi min and 50 psi max on 4300 lb front suspensions, 40 psi min and 50 psi max on 5,000 lb front suspensions, and 60 psi min and 100 psi max on 5,500 lb front suspensions.

Before loading the vehicle, inflate the air cylinders to the maximum pressure. After loading the vehicle, decrease the pressure as needed to level the vehicle.

Note: the book also says the air cylinders are there to adjust vehicle trim and should be checked monthly.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:47 PM   #22
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
A big thanks

I wanted to thank everyone on this thread for some great information. I spent a lot of time getting my suspension back to stock (or better than stock) but still had a very harsh ride on bumps. I also had a little wandering in a crosswind or when getting passed by trucks.

It was driving me crazy. While the ride got progressively better with each repair/upgrade (shocks, steering stabilizer, rear air system straightened out) I began to notice that while smooth level highways gave a nice quiet ride...each overpass or small pothole rattled everything to the point that it sounded like the kitchen was going to fall out.

On my last trip I remembered this thread and lowered the tire pressure down from the max tire rating to the level set in the manual at a rest stop. What a difference! Rides like an Airstream now and is quiet, and smooth! - Thanks!

PS - I blew up a front bag overinflating it at a Flying J. I still need to replace it but I'm just too tired from the exhaust upgrades to handle getting "under the bus" again for at least a week!
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 08:03 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Lightbulb airbag/tire pressure

My manual for p-30 chassis 1983, which my 1984 has, is listed as 55 pounds for the front airbags....this maual is also for shorter units.. but not for longer ones....

75 for front single tires, 60 for rear duals or 70 for a full load....my last post on this thread indicated how badly my unit handled with the 100 pounds tire dealer put in the 110 rated tires......

using the links listed above that would be over the 95 pound rim strength rating Airstream lists and even if the rims held, I would have had over 22,000 pounds capability which is about 20/25 percent more than the chassis can carry by design strength....

Result bad ride...poor handling...longer stopping distances...and probable overloading failures....pressure is very important in these rv's...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote