Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2002, 01:46 PM   #1
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Longest Trip in a Classic AIRSTREAM Motorhome

Have noted with interest on the Forms a thread on "Longest Trip in a Vintage Airstream" I am wondering who can claim bragging rights on the longest trip in a Classic Airstream Motorhome.
We were on a single trip in our Airstream 345 from August 18 until October October 23 2002 (67 Continuous days) for a total S/D Miles of 9633.6. Viewing both Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, two Great Lakes, and crossing the Missouri, Mississippi and Columbia Rivers. No mechanical problems of any kind were encounter - all appliances operated continuously and satisfactorily on 12V, Gas and 110V. Average gas mileage was 5.85MPG., oil consumption (with exception of a mid-voyage oil change and lub was 1.5 quarts. One overheat on a 22 mile grade in Eastern Oregon at elevation. Successfully negotiated 10,851 ft (highest highway point in US - Snowy Ridge, WYO Hiway 130) without overheating, stopping or stalling. No tire problems, no problems with airbags or suspension. We believe this to be unchallengeable with regard to "Longest". Significant that we never saw another Airstream Motorhome at any point or time in our trip. however our vehicle caused many headturns, impromptu discussions in almost every area that we visited. We went Coast to Coast -through 22 States. No accidents, arrests or encounters with Pylons, highway barriers or other road hazards. All camps and sites visited (including at least 10 WAL*MART Stores were pleasant experiences. Although armed with a Concealed Weapon (with Permit) we never had any cause for alarm throughout the trip. We travelled through a variety of National Parks on our trip, utilizing our Golden Age Passport everywhere. We encountered one questionable situation at Mt Rushmore (While our Golden Age Passport gained us entrance to the Park, in this single exception, the Park Service has allowed a contractor to establish Mandatory Parking at a Cost of $8.00 for all vehicles entering the park - even with a Golden Age Passport.
This is a unique situation at Mt Rushmore - there are no others like it that we encountered. The most significant historic fact unearthed was learning that at Fort Meade, South Dakota) A closed US Army Post active in the Indan Wars, the Post Commander(Fourth United States Cavalry) and his wife in l867, caused a Military Aire to be played with the evening colors (Retreat) The wife suggested the Star Spangled Banner - The Secretary of War, upon visiting the garrison was exposed to this and on his return to Washington published a directive that the Star Spangled Banner was to be played at All Army Posts at retreat, and suggested that the Congress consider having this music become the National Anthem - Many Years Later, the Congress did in fact declare that the Star Spangled Banner be the National Anthem of the United States. Worst scare on trip -in Eastern Idaho on a two lane US Highway headed West at 55 MPH, met a vehicle that was stopped in the approaching lane preparing to turn in front of us across the road onto a cross road.
An approaching white box motorhome (huge), towing a vehicle, swerved off the road to right shoulder in attempt to avoid collision with rear of stopped vehicle. Motorhome rocked violently, but just as it approached our vehicle, driver was able to get it under control, barely missing impact with the front of our vehicle. Defensive driving alerted us to the situation and we were able to stop providing the margin if error!!!. Travelled the length of the Columbia River Gorge. Fly-fished for trout in a crystal clear mountain stream olong the Overland(Oregon) trail in Wyoming. Stood on the Custer Battlefield at Little Big Horn and the Reno Battlefield. Spent one nite in the Grand Teton/Yellowstone National Park Camp. Crossed the Continental Divide, East and West, at Several Points, Lake Superior North of Ironwood Upper Michigan and visited Carlisle Barracks in Pennsylvania (Established in 1757 and in continuous operation since as an active Military post.) Traversed both the Shenandoah Skyline as well as the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia and North Carolina. What a wonderful experience and we owe it all to our Airstream.
We would like to add that our visit to the Airstream Factory was a wonderful experience. The hospitality was great. We were provided with friendly, efficient and capable service. We could not have been treated better and hope we can return again soon. Our Airstream 345 is the most liveable and comfortable vehicle we have ever travelled in - aircraft, water vessel or auto included.
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 02:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
That sounds like an awesome trip! If the $8 parking fee was the biggest issue, I'd call it a HUGE success! I tell people all the time, take care of it and it will take care of you!

Delighted that you had a great time!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 06:10 PM   #3
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Dr Joe and Winn,
welcome home and congratulations on a successful and incredible trip with your 345. It is great to hear that the coach performed to your full satisfaction and enjoyment.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 08:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Yes , it sounds like an enviable experience. Our trip last summer was only a mere 2200 miles, up and down the East Coast. We had one minor problem, but it didn't slow us down, and considering the age of our motorhome it was not totally unexpected. In fact from the info I have gathered many newer big box mh's have a somewhat less reliable record!(not to mention their resale values) Gee- I sound like an Airstream snob! sorry....
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 06:25 PM   #5
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
ETC on Longest Airstream MH Trip

Appreciate the comments! left one thing out - We picked up a small rock chip in the windshield somewhere - Insurance will handle a repair Another thing came out after we got home. We were at the Rest Area on I-70 west in Maryland on the same day that the snipers utilized the facility - at a different hour of course.
Reference the Post by Edie on A/S Dogs - Our two dogs, a Lab and a Lhasa Apsa made the whole trip with us, and enjoyed it all the way - I don't think either one of them wanted to come home. Another bit of information gleaned at the factory - we were advised that failure to turn off the step(Switch on galley wall) will definitely run down your engine battery.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Talking Longest trip in A/S MH

In 1997 our dream retirement trip started in Oregon on June 1st and lasted until Nov 15th. A little over 12,000 miles. Went through Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Tennesee, Huntsville Alabama, Tennesee, Kentucky, Missouri, Illinois, (saw Abe's three holer outhouse) Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia (short trip), Pennsylvania, New York, City, New York state, Ontario, Canada., New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick, Gaspe Quebec for Cabots 500 year, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island (a lobster supper to die for), Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Island, Halifax, Nova Scotia (sailed on the Blue Nose) saw Peggy's Cove lighthouse, New Brunswick (saw reversing falls in Saint John), Maine (got a call from our daughter in Seattle to come home to help her and children fly to Hong Kong) cut four months off of our intended trip. New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York (during apple harvest--great apple pie), Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, (had to detour around a 2 foot snow fall in Denver) Oklahoma, Texas(they still have our A/C shroud outside of Amarillo), New Mexico, Arizona, California, and home to Oregon. Probably 32 states--some twice. Tried to Square dance and play golf in every state and provence we passed through. Probably not a record, but we had a good time. Since then we have gone to Thompson, Manitoba to see Polar Bears. Last fall we went Washington DC after touring Mich lower to see lighthouses. Back to Mich this summer for the International Rally.

Ernie and Jan.

Our tires do not rot from being in the sun.
JanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
you missed out not seeing western North Carolina
-Jason
jjonesnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Wink Western NC

Keep an eye out for us in '08 or '09.
Maybe we can get together then.

Ernie and Jan
JanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 07:28 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
sounds great. maybe mine will be ready by then and we can do our own caravan!!!
jjonesnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:17 PM   #10

1987 25' Sovereign
Indianapolis , Indiana
Dr. Joe & Winn,
Ernie & Jan,

You didn't take mere trips...you each went on an odyssey! Wow! Wife & I are hoping to journey to Alaska in '05 in our 325. Hope our travels are as smooth as yours.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:47 PM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Wow! 12,000 miles and no breakdowns. Hard for me to imagine

Seriously - I'm envious. So far we've completed two 2,000 mile trips (CT & FL). We're just starting to plan some longer trips. I think next summer will be an east coast trip (Savanah to Maine) and the next summer could be a Western Tour. The goal is to make Alaska before the kids reach the "whatever..." stage.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 11:14 PM   #12

1998 33' Land Yacht
Fort Worth , Texas
Send a message via MSN to easyfrank
Red face Step switch on galley wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner
Appreciate the comments! left one thing out - We picked up a small rock chip in the windshield somewhere - Insurance will handle a repair Another thing came out after we got home. We were at the Rest Area on I-70 west in Maryland on the same day that the snipers utilized the facility - at a different hour of course.
Reference the Post by Edie on A/S Dogs - Our two dogs, a Lab and a Lhasa Apsa made the whole trip with us, and enjoyed it all the way - I don't think either one of them wanted to come home. Another bit of information gleaned at the factory - we were advised that failure to turn off the step(Switch on galley wall) will definitely run down your engine battery.
Indeed, as we speak, my MH is in the MH hospital to find out what is draining the engine battery. I will call the dealer tomorrow morning about this possibility. While it is in for a couple of other minor things I am having a knife switch installed as a positive fix to this problem.
easyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:25 PM   #13
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Hope your repair facility confirms your battery drain problem being related to the door switch. In any event, we found out the hard way that the only way for sure to stop this problem was to put a disconnect connection on the battery cable itself and to remember to always open that disconnect when we were leaving the vehicle for any time. It was the only foolproof way to solve the problem.Once we did this, and always turned off both switches that were integral to the system, we never had any more problems.
Good Luck Dr Joe and Winn
Old 01-25-2005, 07:28 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I second that it works great for me as well.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
1st Real Trip

Since purching our MO in September we have taken several smaller trips not including the ride back from New Hampshire where we bought our beloved "Chummy." Next week we set out for Florida. Winter camping has been a blast with Chummy but now we need to warm up.
I read the Forum with interest almost daily learning more about my coach each time. I wish there was a way to condense all the posts into a single manual for new Classic owners. Our unit of WBCCI has only one other MO owner which slims down that avenue of learning. The VAC seems to shun MOs of any vintage closing yet another door. Maybe we should form a "CAC" Classic Airstream Club devoted just to us who love and need to keep running our classics.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Your in the top running for forums members for sure. I think Curt and Mandy have you beat on both miles and days.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...php?userid=895

They spent the better part of a year in their 310 as their honeymoon.
Here is their web site and it includes the map of the route they traveled.
http://www.curtandmandy.com/

I was fortunate to get to meet them when they came through Georgia and stopped at a Forum gathering here. Great couple.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The idea of consolidating a lot of this info into an Acrobat reader or some other type file has been mentioned before, but it seems to be a huge task for someone, and as much of the really good information is buried in the threads it may not be one that anyone can or will accomplish soon.
At least we have the abiltiy to search and find what we need to here.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Since purching our MO in September we have taken several smaller trips not including the ride back from New Hampshire where we bought our beloved "Chummy." Next week we set out for Florida. Winter camping has been a blast with Chummy but now we need to warm up.
I read the Forum with interest almost daily learning more about my coach each time. I wish there was a way to condense all the posts into a single manual for new Classic owners. Our unit of WBCCI has only one other MO owner which slims down that avenue of learning. The VAC seems to shun MOs of any vintage closing yet another door. Maybe we should form a "CAC" Classic Airstream Club devoted just to us who love and need to keep running our classics.
Already is a "Classics Club". I think headquarters could give you info.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote