Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Longwood , Florida
Interstate low drain valves

I'm a new Interstate GT owner. I'm trying to open the low drain valves. I've tried turning the ones under the bed, no luck. I've tried the ones under the fridge, no luck. Are the valves super tight or is there a trick to turning them?
Thank you for any help you can send my way.
FL Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Yes they are very tight and difficult to determine which direction to turn them.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
Mine are tight also. The ones in the back of my GT open by turning clockwise. I thought they would open counter clockwise like a normal valve. That slowed me down for a while.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:18 AM   #4

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
SOUTH LYON , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI927 View Post
Mine are tight also. The ones in the back of my GT open by turning clockwise. I thought they would open counter clockwise like a normal valve. That slowed me down for a while.
Thanks for that nugget it really helped! Once the s/o valves were cycled they moved freely.
RIZZOU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Franklin County , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZZOU812 View Post
Thanks for that nugget it really helped! Once the s/o valves were cycled they moved freely.
Your welcome. I put a tag on these valves reminding me to turn clockwise to open.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:25 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Springfield , Virginia
What exaclty do the low point drain valves do--it may sound silly, but they dont look like they actually drain??? I have a 2017 Int Grand Tour and I blow out all lines with air, add rv antifreeze and run through all systems very generously--do you think it important to open them and blow the system again? While my process worked great last year--I want to take no chances and believe in overkill to protect the water systems!! Mike "muddy" Waters
Muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
What exaclty do the low point drain valves do--it may sound silly, but they dont look like they actually drain??? I have a 2017 Int Grand Tour and I blow out all lines with air, add rv antifreeze and run through all systems very generously--do you think it important to open them and blow the system again? While my process worked great last year--I want to take no chances and believe in overkill to protect the water systems!! Mike "muddy" Waters
Have you opened the drain valves and then opened the galley or bath faucet? If the drain valves are open the water in line will drain out. If you don't open another faucet in van water remains trapped in lines.

Since it does not freeze very hard in your area it might not be critical to get all the water out of lines, but there is always some risk of creating a leak in the water lines if any water is trapped and freezes.

By adding RV antifreeze to the lines you have certainly mitigated any risk.

I personally also blow out the lines fully and open the drain valves. Then I only add a small amount of RV antifreeze, just at the water pump, to avoid having to flush out a lot of antifreeze when I restart the water systems.

Good Luck,
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote