Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2003, 08:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 33' Land Yacht
Lubbock , Texas
Smile Improved Steering for windy roads

Well my first thread " More Power Needed " yielded over 45 responses and a great deal of great information. I want to sincerely thank everyone that contributed to the thread. I just installed a Banks Power Pak system and I am very pleased with the performance so far.

At the risk of wearing out my welcome with you all , I would like to see if you can advise me on how to improve the handling / steering on my 1995 Airstream 33' MH.

I live in West Texas and travel to Colorado and Wyoming a fair amount. The winds in this part of the country can wear you out over time behind the wheel. Any suggestions on how to improve the handling of my MH would be appreciated very much?
scotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 08:19 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Game on scotta! I was hoping to talk more mod talk before the night was over!

I use Moog suspention parts and I have some Bilsteins sitting on the shelf wating to install. Also great stabilizer bars are a must. Good bushings are also key. I found that rockauto.com has some of the best prices I found on suspention parts.

Regards and happy modding!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 11:09 AM   #3

As much as Motor Homes owners on this Forum are knowledgeable, they are in a minority here.

You will find many more motor homes discussions in the RV.net Forum.
The problem you are experiensing has been discussed at length on Steering stabilazer - 120 search results

You can read this thread too on the Escapees Forum
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:42 PM   #4
30 yr Airstreamer

2018 16' Sport
Port Townsend , Washington
Assuming your front end is in good repair and adjusted correctly. How are your tires, shocks and steering dampner? Basically you are driving a huge sail and your going to get blown around to a certain degree. Make sure your MH's front end is aligned and make any necessary repairs. Worn tires and steering dampner can really make your rig squirrelly. Change to radial tires and get a quality steering dampner such as Bilstein or Safe-T-plus. Worn shocks can also aggravate the side wind issue. In general stiffer shocks with harder damping will help. Again Bilstein are probably the best out there. Last but not least, checkout a Steering centering system. Units from Howard power Steering systems, Supersteer and Steer Safe. All claim great things, check them out at your local camping world. Remember all the little things add up. Front end a little out of align, worn tires, shocks & dampner and you can have a big affect on handling.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote