Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2002, 09:14 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Adams , Tennessee
Cool I must be sick ?

Well Iv'e been to the doctor and his diagnosis was bleek
I have a severe case of RV and my friends now tell me I have been jellystoned. Purchased a 1979 24ft Ecella last year and have been through it bumper to bumper got everything working and love it and just this weekend I had a relapse and purchased a 1983 310 which needs much TLC but has much potential it has the banks power system and drives very good as far as I can tell only driven it about 7 miles so far any tips on the 310 chassis I'll be looking for on this site and next year (hopefully) when Iv'e gone through the 310 bumper to bumper I'll sell the 24ft to a good home don't need both but hate to give up one I must be nuts to want to go through all that again but it seems that once you get started you just can't stop playing with these things.
I'll try to help if I can on sources and methods I used in getting the 24ft back to full operational status. I think most on this site seem to also have RV as well

Bfrank
Bfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 09:56 AM   #2
Finally Retired

, Washington
Not just any RV

The problem you describe only effects Airstream owners the rest of the population can just sell and cure their ills we on the other hand, must methodically heal inch by inch. Good luck
Finally Retired
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 08:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
We feel your pain...

Have you tried a Holistic approach to your treatment for your affliction? I understand a bracelet made of aluminum and Olympic Rivets and chewing old Vulcem have produced miracles.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 09:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Cool Jellystoned

Hi Bfrank.....
...Jellystoned...I thought that was the condition for someone who ATE too many JELLY BEANS...LOL, well U aint alone...my D/W calls me a SCANNERHOLIC,...maybe I am a little, then she MOANS if I am under her FEET..." can't win "...
Well HOPE U find a CURE...'til then GOOD LUCK to U...
...Chris.....
Old 08-11-2002, 10:13 AM   #5
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Know where you are coming from BFrank!!. We had boiught an Excella 270 Motor Home from a Dealer in 1999. The Dealer fully disclosed all the mechanical and electrical problems at the time of purchase, and we were able talk with the last prior owner who made us aware of all problems and needed repairs. Well, we spent about $2500 getting it into excellent condition - made a 3000 mile trip up the east coast - across Canada and down through the Mid-West - very enjoyable, but wife was not happy with twin sofa beds - wanted a bed-room, so we found a vehicle with a bedroom and quickly sold our perfectly maintained and serviceable MH to by our present 345. Wow - at first we felt that we had made a huge mistake.
As a consequecne of a shake-down trip this past week to the Smoky Mountains, we are embarking next week on an extensive trip to the Diamond Crater in Arkansas, Medicine Bow Country in Wyoming, the
Columbia River at Spokane, Mt Rushmore and bhe Black Hills,
Minneapolis, Grand Rapids and then East to Maine before returning to South Caroline - Hang in there BFrank - It will all be worthwhile - although frustrating and disheartening at times.
Good Luck with your restoration of your new 310!!!
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 02:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
...SIGH !!!.....

Hi Winner...
You know, the way you wrote about those places, was like my D/Ws shopping list...lol, you make it sound as if you are just popping to the shopping centers...those are huge serious miles...don't worry abt it, I'm only wishing it was ME...
Well you have a Good time...
B-Good...Chris.....
Old 08-13-2002, 08:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Cool I must be sick.

My RV ILLS were in my head. Wife hates them dog loves them, So , I bought on. There is an answer to everthing!!
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 08:29 PM   #8
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Thanks for your sentifment Chris - Yes our itinerary is indeed expansive - We have programmed no day of more than 396 miles and most are in the 260-320 range. I consistently try to drive between 50 and 55 - ocassionally downhill into 60, but at that speed we can travel comfortably. We will have a mix of Airstream Parks, Commerical RV Campgrounds, an ocassional WAL-MART (They have excellent breakfasts in their super center stores. Running with the rear a/c and the dash, we maintain a very pleasant environment - even in the 96 degree weather we expect to encounter most of the way. We are sure the fly fishing will smooth the bumps. Our two dogs (Eb the Lab and CoCo the lhasa apsa) are great travelers We have programmed outselves totally off the Interstate System - We don't like the trucks or the speed and on the US secondaries, there is a great deal of scenery to be seen.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:42 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
"I feel your pain"

I forget where I originally heard that quote..

I have a similar affliction. My in-laws rented an airstream at a private park outside of Custer state park in SD in 1993. Wasn't a year or two before my wife was dragging me out to look at all manner of Airstream coaches. She talked me into our 1969 Overlander in late 1996. At first I thought we were nuts. We did not even have a vehicle to tow it with. After spending time and a little money fixing it up, we took our first family 2 week vacation in summer of '97 and have enjoyed "Landyacht living" ever since. Seems one was not enough. I spent (spend) countless hours searching the net vintage trailers and motorhomes. Ended up purchasing a 345 off of Ebay in 2001. I've been getting this one up to standards between weekend trips. We use both coaches regularly.

I starting to get the itch again. Maybe I should try that aluminum bracelet?
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Don't start...!!!!

HI Winner...and ALL U ALLY HEADS !!!
Greetings from over the pond, and THANK'S to the Guy (s) who sent the sunshine to us over here, as it sure is a BEAUTIFUL DAY...
As you know we come over for our vacation in nov/dec, 21 nights...You mentioned WALLY-WORLD...well you gonna laugh when I tell you WE love to spend a near DAY in that joint, and a LOT of money too...LOL, I bought a MAIL BOX, last visit...( DON'T ASK )...when I read that you go OFF onto the beaten track, and explore the side lanes to see as much as you can and get the BEST out of your trip, well WE do it likewise, come on guys...you know there is MORE than a MOUSE running around in Orlando, we go to the Malls, sure we do, and the FLEA markets too...mind you...I NEVER manage to locate any...prehaps they just DON'T wanna live in 'Lil OLE ENGLAND...LMAO....like I said b4, serious miles, tell me, ( now 4give me for sayin the BREAKDOWN word...)
but how do you go on if if your engine goes down ???, do You have special cover for those vehicles, I mean it's NOT like calling your Brov-in law, 4a tow home...unless he got a HUGE MACK or PETERBILT ect:...Do you have the AAA heavy duty cover or something like that, I know you Guys LOOK after your units, just as I look after my tiny little PUTT-PUTT...( which WILL easily fit into your GAS TANK...lmao...) and judging by the HUGE amount of miles you travel, I would be TOWING a tanker full of gas behind too...
Well REALY ENJOY all your tales and info...all take care now...read U all later, B-Good...Chris.....
Old 08-14-2002, 02:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
The CUSTER ???

Hi JW84345.....
' Scuse me here Mr. Custer...You mind if I be excused the rest of the afternoon...them there's INDIANS out there....
Do you mean THAT Mr. Custer, the Fighting Hero, got a STATE PARK named after him, I tried to find the place on my AAA road book, but was unable too...( just for referance )....mind you I was in a hurry b4 work....LOL...
Where is it, you must tell me more abt it...THANK'S....
Take care now...Chris.....

" ...Say George ! get your BUTT down...George..Oh! too late. gee I bet that SMARTS...."
Old 08-14-2002, 05:20 AM   #12
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Custer State Park

Hi Chris again:
I must tell you that we are planning to spend two (2) days at Custer, SD (US Hiway 16) Just inside the Border of SD Off I-90 at Sturgis. CUSTER STATE PARK is about 3 miles out of the town of Custer - Check your Rand & McNally. We are planning to stay at the Custer/Mt Rushmore KOA.
With regard to Emergency - We have the best there is USAA
Being retired military, they have the very best Road Service Costs us $4.00 a year - I have already had my Motor Home towed 18 miles on a previous trip. With regard to Gas - My tank holds 80 Gallons, so I don't have to seek a station at frequent intermals. All "US Numbered" highways are not backroads - they are first class scenic highways - nothing like the sterile speed lanes of the Interstate System. Distances of 300 miles in our Great West are nothing.
Old 08-14-2002, 05:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Hey Chris

We name parks after everything and everybody

Custer State Park

Try this one to get off the interstates:

Scenic byways

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 11:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
BFRANK- I know of what you speak....I looked at a 310 and thought I would like to have it, after spending close to a year getting to know my 280 quite intimately. It's getting closer to being mechanically as Ineed it, dependable and fun. Then we have the aesthetics, which I have done some changes to, but have more in mind.
So why would I buy another unknown? Just for the challenge and
fun of the project.
By the way did you buy the 310 from Paul in Gallatin? He was active here on the forums, and put his 310 up for sale last week.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Good Evening...

Hi Winner, Hi 74Argosy24mh.
I did'nt mean to appear to be rude, I love your roads, We too LOVE the scenic route, IS there any other way???...
I had a strong notion you named after NAMES, bet U got a TOWN named after ME..." LOONEYVILLE "...LMAO....
Just Kidding, NO U R right to do so indeed, these hero folk deserve to be remembered, it is a lovely idea.
Regurding the USAA, over here I am in the RAC - ( Royal Automobile Club ), very GOOD too, except I pay about £ 90 a year, ...$ 135, but I DO get a top service, like HOME START, naturaly I only use them as a LAST resort, and NEVER call them out to change a flat tyre, I MAKE the WIFE do that...lol, only kidding on that one, though I must admit we changed the complete CLUTCH on our old Morris MARINA, back in '84, makes a NICE cup of tea too !!!!.....Bless Her...
Well at $4.00 p/y, I guess U mus'nt moan at that, but again U done your BIT for YR Country, and my MOM still talks about ...
" When the AMERICANS came to England, back in the 40's "
She lived in SUFFOLK at that time, and there was a huge AIR BASE down that way, and that is why still 2day, there are a LOT of AMERICAN car importers, down that part of our country, yep I also love YR big FINS & CHROME...
Guess I ran on abt nothing as usual, sorry guys, I'll look up that HI-WAY's, so B-GOOD...Chris.....