Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2004, 12:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Macon , Georgia
How About a Collection of Step by Step Repair Procedures?

Ok, the EX Air Force Pilot check list mentality is coming out in me right now...

While replacing the old front (locking up) brake lines on the motorhome, I wrote down the procedure including bolt sizes, shortcuts, part numbers etc. I kept it knowing that Leemo would need them eventually. So, I am wondering if we should have a repositoy of procedures that reflect the best repair techniques that any of us have developed - filed by subject, with cook book steps. Rather than post back and forth gathering info for a procedure, one could simply look it up and print it and then post for advice after screwing it up. It would be nice if it were done with a somewhat standard template. I realize that many repair procedures are in the tech manual, but I think there are many more that are not. And perhaps some of us might have come up with useful techniques not in the book.

What do you think?

Josephhh
josephhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephhh
What do you think?

Josephhh
I think it's the best Idea I have ever heard on this forum. Let's do it!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 01:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
Don,
Thanks!
I reckon we would need some rules to implement the list. We would need to catagorize by some common denominator. And probably would want to have the procedure submitted as a post so that it would be tweaked by others experience in the matter. Then some final moderator would bless it and include it into the Holy Book of Procedures. The moderator or "Keeper of the Book" could also make allowances for discovered improvements in procedures and change the master document rather than add on countless updates.

Still thinking....

josephhh
Old 11-09-2004, 02:24 PM   #4
Craftsman

Sounds like an excellent idea!!
Old 11-09-2004, 05:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
I bet one could go through the old posts and collect an abundance of repair information that is already pretty concise. Possible editing and organizing it would be the remaining task. I will continue staring at my empty motorhome interior and think about this.

More to follow.

Josephhh
Old 11-10-2004, 01:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
It may be hard to get agreement...

I also think this is a great idea but from what I have read in the forums it might be hard to get agreement as to what the best procedure is for any given task. It might be necessary to allow for several alternative approaches for some of the tasks. The dificulty of determining the best detailed steps for replacing the floor is a good example of what I mean. There are fairly broad variations of opinion as to what the best types of material, fasteners and sealers are. The issue of shell on vs. shell off and/or how to support the body while replacing the floor has a lot of variation too. We need to come up with some way to arbitrate and or manage the differences of opinion for this to work. I say lets talk it over some more and see what we can come up with.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 04:43 AM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
there also will be regional differances in available material.

not everyone has a farm and fleet store nearby!

john
Old 11-10-2004, 05:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I tried to organize the repairs on this forum into some order awhile back, and big job to say the least, and true there are a number of ideas for many of the repairs/modifications.
I would suggest if someone has the ability to make pdf files; that we could take a lot of the info with a big disclaimer that these are merely suggested methods and techniques- and make them available for download as printable acrobat reader files.
I have asked Airstream Life to include a tech column for MH owners with some of the tips I have collected.
I don't have the full version of acrobat, but might be able to use the shareware version of PDF maker to accomplish some of this.
I also have a lot of the good ideas I have gathered from the web and from rally's,etc (like how to do the window channel, winterizing,generator tips, etc) printed out in Word and added them to my personal service manual binder.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I can make .pdf files when everything gets finalized. I agree that things like floor replacement might not be the best candidates, stick more to straight forward repairs that are standard r&r procedures. There are so many variables in some major repairs that abilitiy, tools available, experience, and materials really determine how a person will proceed. There is a ton of discussion already here that should be a good starting point for repairs like that.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
We need a page on pulling the body off with a crane!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I could do one for you with a back hoe. That was a trip!!

John
Old 11-10-2004, 08:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I'd be more than happy to host all the .pdf's on my site if that helps.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:33 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
Another thought is that the final version of this would be rather valuable. I would hate to see somebody out of nowhere steal our vast collection of knowledge and print it in a book for sale. What about any copyright protections? Is the material on the forum protected?

Josephhh
Old 11-10-2004, 10:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
None of the material on this forum or any other website is guaranteed to be there tomorrow. Andy has no plans to bring down the site and he does have it backed up with his other servers.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:38 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

<We need a page on pulling the body off with a crane!>
I need a page on how to change the light bulbs in a 2004 CCD, just one of a multitude of items not in the manual!
This is a gReat idea!
Old 11-10-2004, 11:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I like Fred's idea of also having them on his site. More exposure, more chance some one will find them, etc. Thanks Fred.

John
Old 11-10-2004, 12:40 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
Fred's idea sounds good to me too.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
So who wants to create the template for everyone to follow?
Are you putting photos and diagrams in the .pdf's? (probably)

Off course all the .pdf's would be public domain and could be downloaded and saved to your local PC.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The template should be fairly easy, tools/equipment, materials, method. A little harder might be a common program to create it. Suggestions? Also any on additions to the template.

John
Old 11-10-2004, 02:34 PM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Number of hours to complete the project.

Skill level of the project on a scale that has been determined in advance. 1 being anyone can do it, to a 10 being some one with serious skills.

Approximate cost of the actual project. This will vary by region, but would also allow someone to weigh the decision of DIY or write a check.

If the materials are unique, or exotic, lead times on how long it takes to get the stuff would be helpful. Nothing like having the old axles out and the frame ready only to find out it could be a few weeks until they will arrive.....and you have a big trip planned.

As to the program, a spreadsheet would allow for the time/tools/costs/difficulty to be easily defined. The how to, can be a Word document that is a template of steps. This would allow for some free form writing describing the how to steps without constraints. 2 PDF's per project, one is how to, the other is what you need.............
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote