Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Hide and Seek

A beautiful weekend down here in Texas.
Made reservations at Blanco State Park (very nice and worth a visit) and started to get ready to head out Saturday morning.
A very wise man once said: left is were the thumb is on the right.
With that in mind I did my usual walk around kick the tires routine to make sure all is tight and safe.
Had a great trip (70 miles) and listen to some great music on the way (the 800W Sub woofer does compliment the six speakers).
We arrived at the State Park and Cyndi signed in. Once we got to our spot, Cyndi got out again to help me back in. Suddenly her pale face appeared at the door and she said:
the generator compartment door is gone!
What??????????????? I uttered a few other words which are not suitable for family entertainment.
Ok, I said we have to go look for it. She climbed back in and we started to retrace our route. It started to dawn on me that I must have unlatched the compartmnet door upon final inspection. And no I usually did not lock it.
Boy, did I feel stupid!!!!!
There we went the entire 70 miles all the way back to the house with our eyes peeled on the other side of the road looking for that darn door.
No door, no flattened pice of something in the road.
What a bummer!
Stay tuned for part 2
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 11:08 AM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
So we started off again down Loop 1 with all hope lost.
About 10 miles down this very busy freeway we went over an elevated part of the hwy when Cyndi screamed: there it is.
Lo and behold there it was, 1 foot from the solid white line laying upside down looking a little flat.
I pulled over backed up and Cyndi jumped out to retrieve it. I was beautiful, all parts present, a few scratches and a little warped but nobody ran over it. 500 cars and trucks must have gone by, missing it by inches.
Let me be the clown and idiot, don't join my ranks. Lock your generator door!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gendoor.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	2985  
AIR #13
Old 09-07-2003, 12:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Thumbs up Your lucky day

I redid my door and was thinking of that reading your post. But it is completely different seeing the picture. That would be a bear to make, lots of louvers.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 04:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks Peter- you made me feel a little less stupid!! Last year on my 3 week trip to Pennsylvania and more...I set off to get LP gas one morning early in Lancaster, PA. Heard a clanging scraping sound so I quickly pulled over, my generator door had popped open and was dragging the ground. I forgot to lock it when checking the oil. Boy did I feel like an idiot!!
It scratched the edge a bit, but did little else as I was able to stop quickly, and was on a small side street.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 06:55 PM   #5
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
No Mas!
Modified ZipDee awnings hook, one in front one in the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doorhook.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	3005  
AIR #13
Old 09-09-2003, 07:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
well i havent lost my gen set cover but i fiddeled with my spare tire cover and you know it it came off. to top that off i almost hit my wifes car as she was following me . and she didnt stop and get the thing. a trucker got me stopped to tell me my motor cover came off and hit a car. my wife finally showed up and i ask if she picked the cover up and her response was . was that off your vehicle. i almost wrecked getting away from that thing.
she finnaly went back up the interstate an retrived the cover. it had a scrap on one corner. was laying in the median. that was luck. I-65 has lots of traffic if it had stayed in the road it would have been destroyed by the big trucks . we luck out sometimes peter and sometimes we dont got no luck at all.lol
al
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Reopening thread upon search...need gen. door lock.

My generator door lock would turn left with the key, but the lock itself would not disengage, so trying to use a vise grip I snapped off the top tooth of the bevel, The lock seems frozen, so I'll either get a new one from somewhere (where?), or I'll do the awning zipdee hook thingy Peter did...that looks easy and inexpensive. I won't mind the compartment being unlocked. How's it holdin up, being done in 2003?