Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2003, 11:35 PM   #1

Question Help - How do I open My Travel-Awn 5000?

I have a brand new to me '65 Overlander with a Travel-Awn 5000 by A&E and I'm at a total loss as to how to open it. I don't want to yank and pull too hard until I know what I'm doing. I checked out the website for new parts, in case I do break something, but couldn't find any operating instructions. The telephone number on the awning for A&E Systems is disconnected. Does any one have some sage advice? (I'll probably have a hundred more questions until I figure everything out, things like "Are these really windows and are they supposed to work like this?" ) Many thanks!
PaulaJ999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 01:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up You might try

PaulaJ999

I don't have A&E awning but, you might try this site to get some insights on your model.

marksrv

Another tip is to try this search engine:

google

I think you'll find the vast majority of listing here as well..

For instances, I found this one on a website by Scamp ..Just to get you started.

Quote:
"Awning: 13 foot trailers use 2.5 meter awning (about 8 ft.). 16 foot trailers use a 3 meter awning (about 10 feet). Read the instruction manual before use. Awnings should not be used in very windy conditions. If there is moderate wind the awning should be tied down with the stakes provided. Operation is as follows: Take the wand (the long aluminum metal piece with a hook on one end usually stored in the closet), insert it into either the right or left center hole and pull toward the end of the awning compressing the spring and releasing the leg from the slot. The leg is now free to swing down. Set the black knob at the desired height. Repeat process with the other leg. Once both legs are down take the wand, using the hook end, hook the loop strap in the center of the awning and pull outward. The whole fabric of the awning should pull out. It is best to pull the awning out to the full seven feet of length. AT this point the middle rafters should lock in place. Move the legs to the desired spot and adjust for height. The manufacturer’s instruction manual includes instructions for uses with the brackets, which can be mounted on the trailer. Scamp has had several awnings damaged through the use of these brackets so has discontinued installing them. They are included in the customer’s trailer if the customer desires to install them. If done take great care to use them correctly as damage will result if misused. Such damage is not covered under Scamps warranty or A&E Dometic’s warranty. To close awning, remove stakes or any ties attached to awning. Loosen rafter lock knobs. Set legs closer to trailer. Pull strap outward, again using the wand, releasing pressure on rafter locks. Push rafter locks up to release rafters. Slowly let awning roll up, keeping the canvas even on both sides, until canvas is rolled completely into case. Legs often have to be lifted slightly on each end. Take the wand and re-lock the awning leg into the slot in the center of the awning case. Re-tighten the knob on the leg to keep the leg from jiggling loose. Check the ends of the awning legs to make sure that they are fastened on correctly. The should lock in place in the awning lid lip. For instructions with diagrams read your awning manual."

Good luck to you.

ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 05:58 AM   #3
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Re: Help - How do I openMy Travel-Awn 5000?

This is how I opened an A&E 5000 on a 78 Avion I used to own:
Depress button on the main arm and slide it up enough to clear the hook bracket mounted to the roof. Silicon spray may have to applied to unfreeze the inner/outer bracket.
Now a person at each end can unroll the awning by pulling outward. Height adjustment is made by engaging the same button mentioned above.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 12:08 PM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
PaulaJ,
I have the travel awn on my 1971, and I still have the operating manual.
If you want, I can fax it to you.
Basically, it works just like Peter said, and it's a little sticky, clunky, and does not work very smoothly. I usually push the button and give it a good shove in the upwardly direction, on either side.
This will disengage the main awning rails from the two hooks that are boltet to the trailer near the awning rail.
Now you can pull out the awning material, just grab the little tab that should stick out in the middle of the awning. Once unrolled, slide the pulldown strap to one side, loosen the knurled nut on the secondary rail and pull up the secondary rail all the way to the top, until it clicks in behind a steel spring tab. Now tighten the secondary rail, adn install the security bolt to the hole where the secondary rail intersects with the main reil near the roller tube. Repeat on the other side.
OK, now you can go from side to side and raise the awning to the desired height. It sounds much more complicated than it is. It definitely works better with two people....
Good luck
Old 04-25-2003, 04:27 PM   #5

Talking Travel-Awn 5000

Many thanks for the instructions and the website links. The instructions do make sense from what I know the awning to look like. The trailer is currently in Idaho (I just got back from a visit!) and will come home to Washington in July. I would love to have a fax copy of the instructions, but I need to fiddle with the fax on my PC to see how it works. I'll do that this weekend, then post a fax number. Meanwhile, I'll forward the instructions to my uncle in Idaho who is performing TLC on my silver baby. You guys are great. I've been looking for an Airstream for 2 years and just happened to look out on e-Bay one day last December and found THE trailer. It was crazy, but she's mine now and we're gung ho. Thanks again - I know I'll have more questions and I really appreciate your help and ideas.
PaulaJ999 is offline   Reply With Quote