Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-23-2003, 02:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
HELP Emergency oil line busted!

THe mechanics said that as they were putting the headers in, the flange cut one of the oil lines leading from the oil filter to an after market oil cooler. The hose has special end that attach to the male aspects of the filter and cooler. They can't find a hose with the special ends to replace with. They want to use a pressure hose with hose clamps only, even tho they know this is a pressure hose of up to 60 psi. How to fix?
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 02:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: HELP Emergency oil line busted!

Quote:
Originally posted by Astrodokk
THe mechanics said that as they were putting the headers in, the flange cut one of the oil lines leading from the oil filter to an after market oil cooler. The hose has special end that attach to the male aspects of the filter and cooler. They can't find a hose with the special ends to replace with. They want to use a pressure hose with hose clamps only, even tho they know this is a pressure hose of up to 60 psi. How to fix?
Pressure hose and hose clamps till you can order the line from GM. That Aftermarket cooler is factory It's only around 60PSI I run that set up on my aftermarket tranny cooler and that hits 100psi at times and never had a problem. I would make them foot the bill for the part when you order it but uuuhhhhh rubber hose and age......Might have been time to replace anyway.

I plan on replacing the ones on my burb next oil change.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Hydraulic Shop

Any good hydraulic shop should carry a full line of AN fittings and have the capability of fabricating and forming either a solid of flexible line.

Try headings under "brake" also. Grab the Yellow Pages - "Let your fingers do the walking."

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 03:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Replace both lines with new. 22 years is a lot of use. If they fail on the road the engine will be gone before you realize you have lost oil pressure. Unless this is some off the wall connector a good parts store will have fittings (are they threaded?).

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 04:39 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

hose repair

If you have a tractor place nearby, they are a good place to have hydraulic hoses made. I've had power steering hoses made at a John Deere place. I cut the sleeves off and reused the fittings. They used a new hose, and put new sleeves on it. "Works real fine, lasts a long time"
Neal
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 08:18 AM   #6
Retired and Retreaded

1972 26' Argosy 26
1974 31' Sovereign
1978 28' Argosy 28
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to edmatlock
Oil Hoses to cooler from filter

Mine developed a hair-line leak. I had a company in OKC, OK. (HOSECO), make new ones. I went from one quart of oil per 100 miles to none. This is a new engine, so I did not want to blow it up. It has 60 psi all the time except when hot at idle.

'78 28' Argosy MH 454, 400
Old 10-29-2003, 08:10 PM   #7
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Been there

Astrodokk,
Been there too. I spent weeks looking for these. There are still GM replacements (under Workhorse now) for these lines on the P30 but I ended up having them made at a commercial truck radiator shop in town. Cost $50 for both.

There is a thread I started about this as well:

Oil Cooler Lines

Hope this helps.

It may makes sense to update the oil cooler as well. Some folks have used brake line to AN flex lines as well.

Hope your baby comes home soon. Sounds like you're deep on this one already.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 09:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
She's home alright! They ended up doing both for free under what they call customer satisfaction....since they're the one who caused them to leak. Originally I had asked to replace all hoses and belts, and they didn't put these on their list. Probably looked Ok from outside. But they did bend my oil dip stick tube. Can't get it in all the way. I ordered a new one from Chevy $20., and they will install it for free too. They bent ti trying to replace the exhaust manifolds to headers.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 07:01 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Sounds like one step forward, two steps back.

Neal
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote