Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2003, 10:57 AM   #1
saxonsraven

Help and advise she died in the middle of nowhere

Well thanks to all but too late.
I was told after sending more money (cause it went bad again) that she was fixed. Went down to Amarillo Friday started off Saturday. Went 800 miles nursing her back to NY when she insisted on dying.
It was a royal death, her last grasp went on for at least 45 seconds as she was pull over on I-44 East in Marshfield MO. Her lifeblood soaked the emergency lane and verge as gave her last sound of awareness marked a rod piercing her oil pan. On looking underneath her I saw her water drain out as she gave up the ghost. So now she sits 800 miles closer to NY waiting for a new heart.
There are not a lot of 454s in that part of the world and thw work for a new engine is $5000. any advise.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:32 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I do not know anything other than what I was just able to find out with a few phone calls.

As of today RELIABLE CHEVROLET, INC.
3655 S CAMPBELL
SPRINGFIELD, MO 65807-5294
Phone: (417) 887-5800

has a GM crate remanufactured engine in stock. Cost is 2225.15 plus a 600 dollar core charge.

Installation is a whole 'nother issue.

H & M Machine Service
2375 Verna Avenue, Maryland Heights, MO 63043
(314) 567-9249

was refered by the GM dealker in Mansfield as a good shop that can rebuild it, or install it. You also have the option of going to a GM shop, there is a GM dealer in Mansfield right off I 44. I did call them and they did not have a motor, but could get one, they wanted 4300 for it.

Hope this helps, I just look at it this way. I have a motorhome I plan on keeping for a long time with a new engine in it. I get to enjoy the new engine and not have to spend the money just before selling it to make it saleable.

The last option is a boneyard, but I would be leery of saving the money on the engine and spending it on the labor again.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Well, GM will have....

....a wide variety of crate big blocks, as will a place like www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com. All the way from generic rebuilds to full race are available.

Depends on how fast you wanna go, how long you want it to run, and how much money you have right now to put into it.

The GM crate motor for $2200 sounds like a screamin' deal to me. I'd check around and see what kinda deal you can get on a HP crate motor. DO NOT have it rebuilt by Joe-Pete-Sammy down the street - you'll pay twice as much for an engine of doubtful quality, and a warranty that you can't go back for.

Here's the Jegs page... http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...61&cgrfnbr=947
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:51 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
One other option that just came to me.

Your dead MH is 90 miles from Colaws RV salvage in Carthage MO. They may have a BB 454 that can be transplanted and they should be able to do the work. It will require towing it there, but if you have AAA +RV they will do it for free. If you do not have AAA +RV, I would get it as the towing bill will run close to 250.00 Min.

Colaws
I-44 Exit 22
10389 Cimmaron Rd.
Carthage, MO 64836
Phone: (417) 548-2125
Fax: (417) 548-7219
Toll Free: (877) 548-2125
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:28 PM   #5
saxonsraven

Thanks for getting involved

Thanks guys.
Your comments are very helpful. I sort this out into some form of sanity. First the guy in MO. its Doc at Doc's Automotive, he says that the motor is a new one it has to be because the block is craked, pan has a hole in it, rods broken and these are not repairable. All new parts (I will get a quote in writting) including water pump engine parts and labor are $5019.94.

I looked at the websites and the prices plus shipping and the labor might not meet this price but be higher.

It comes down to the old honor code, and workmanship
Old 07-28-2003, 05:56 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Try these:

http://www.vandevere.com/

Ask for Dal.... a parts mastermind. He finishes my sentances when I start to give him part numbers.

Also gmpartsdirect.com is another place, however no human interaction at all.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
FWIW if the old block was cracked you wouldn't have gotten youre core charge back anyway on a rebuilt engine.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:10 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Billings , Missouri
454 replacement

saxonsraven
check your PM
Don B is offline   Reply With Quote