Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2003, 11:17 AM   #1
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Heater, Airconditionor Dash Control

I need to replace the Dash Control for the Heater/Air Conditioner in my 1984, 345 Motorhome. I read JW84345 post that this is a Chrysler part for front wheel drive cars. Has anyone purchased one to know which car it is from. I will probably check the junk yards first. The reason for needing a new one is that one side of the mounting plate, for fastening it to the dash, has broken. It must have been broken for the PO for some time since I could not find any of the broken parts. The other concern I have is when I took the Dash Control out the rear vacuum line connector on the back of the Dash Control disintegrated, consequently I have no way of knowing which color vacuum line was connected to which location. Has anyone ever had to purchase a new connector? Do the vacuum lines come with the connector and how can you splice them? I am asking a lot of questions but I could sure use some advice.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 02:02 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Gunner,
I'm in the same boat with my dash ac/heater controls. But my vacum connections are still there. The control reminds me of the one in my Mother's 1971 Impala so I'm sure there are some of these in cars or trucks in junkyards.

My bet is that the heater control cable froze up at some point and the PO just pushed on it until it broke. I was trying to see if I could fix it but am keeping my eye out for another control. I'll let you know if I find one.

PS - I'm going to in Richmond IN in my 86 345 in two weeks for two days of training at Best Buy RVs. Let me know if you are nearby and maybe we could get our 345's together.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 04:24 AM   #3
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Best Buy RV is only about 30 miles from where I live. Won't be able to drive my motorhome for a while. I have it all torn apart working on the winter project list. But I can come over there to meet you and talk motorhomes. Let me know when you are available, it will have to be during the weekend. How easy is it for you to look at the rear connector to tell me the location of the four vacuum lines in the connector?

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:58 AM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
The controls are so tight in there I don't think I can snap a pic.

I'm headed to Atlanta this week so I'll be offline but if you PM me your info I'll call you before I head to Richmond. It'll be a weeknight but perhaps I can drive up to see you (way more fun than hanging around in a dealer lot). It would be fun to meet another 345 owner and see your rig. And you can look at my dash control.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 08:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

re: heater A/C Dash control

I had to replace my complete control unit as it was also broken. It is a Chrysler product. the
Chrysler 5 star logo is stamped on the control unit.
I found the unit at a junk yard from 1980 series
large Dodge vans. My be in any Dodge van. I was
looking for chrome buttons instead of black. they
had them. I paid 15.00 for one and bought the
second one for 5 bucks for spare parts if needed.

Check over the free movement of the push buttons. I had one that didn't work real free so I squirted
silicon spary in and around the buttoms to let it
rund down to the inside of the controls. It did free them up real good.

When the junk yard people remove the unit they must be very carful or they will brake the same
tabs that is all ready broke on yours! Try to get
as much of the wires and cables etc. Be sure the
cable connector that holds the temp control cable
on the back side of the control is the same as the
one you have on your MH otherwise the length of
stroke will not be the same. Thats why I bought
a couple of extras for parts.

As for the vacuum hoses coming disconnected on the
back side or the manifold falling apart. The new
one you get will no doubt be much better.

I called A/S and the tech man gave me the proper
diagram for the hoses to hook back up. I have it
written down. Not at my finger tips right now.

I hope this helps out.