Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Question Hail No!

Just went through our first Hailstorm scare today. I was standing in line at Blockbuster and it got really, really dark and started pouring. Then hailing! Maybe quarter sized at times.

I ran out to the car and the Tornado sirens were going off all over the city. Since my office was closer than my house I headed there, at times I could not hear my wife on the cell phone for the noise the hail was making on the hood and roof.

As I got closer to the office I thought to myself, well I wonder what the insurance company will give me for her as I was sure I'd find a shot peened looking 345 there to greet me. Surprisingly, and to my relief, the hail stopped about a block from the office (and AS) and it came through unscathed.

It was pretty intense, a couple of touchdowns in the city and some real damage further out. Having both grown up in New England we were used to Hurricanes but these Tornados completely freak us out. After all, not twenty minutes before this mess it was sunny and nice out.

After getting back to the house about an hour later the tension was broken when my five year old daughter asked my wife "Is it OK now cause the tomato moved to another state?"

Time to go camping !
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Having grown up and lived in the Texas Panhandle most of my life, I have seen my share of severe weather and more funnel clouds in the air and on the ground than I care to think about. At least tornadoes are "localized" usually providing some evidence that conditions are favorable for thier formation.
Unlike earthquakes, that provide little if any warning and no method of avoidance.
And hurricanes, that cover huge areas and provide you no method of escape that does not include an evacuation trip of hundreds of miles coupled with boarding up everything.
Given my choices....I'll take tornadoes any day.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Actually, having lived in Texas for over 30 years and enduring the tornado season on a yearly basis, I'm happy to be in the mountains of New Mexico, where tornados just don't exist. Of course, the trade-off is snow, snow, and more snow!

Lynn
Old 04-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Exclamation

Count your blessings!!! Next time you think you have nothing but bad luck ----think again. Good to hear all went well & no harm done.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
After having my car literally totaled with me in it, by softball-sized hail in downtown Fort Worth 10 years ago, I've become extremely wary of severe weather. Now, if I see the sky getting that telltale greenish gray color, I start looking for gas stations, car washes, anything I can get the car and myself under. Of course, hail typically means tornadic activity is very possible, whereby such a shelter wouldn't be too helpful.

On the subject of tornadoes, I especially hate it when tornadoes are in the area after dark - no chance whatsoever to see where it's coming from!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Yes, those tomatoes sure leave quite a mess behind. Glad you're okay!
Old 04-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Actually, having lived in Texas for over 30 years and enduring the tornado season on a yearly basis, I'm happy to be in the mountains of New Mexico, where tornados just don't exist. Of course, the trade-off is snow, snow, and more snow!

Lynn
The snow I can handle - I just don't know if I could handle what they charge for a dozen eggs at that Diamond Shamrock just up the street from you - yikes!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:01 PM   #8
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
And hurricanes, that cover huge areas and provide you no method of escape that does not include an evacuation trip of hundreds of miles coupled with boarding up everything.
Given my choices....I'll take tornadoes any day.
David,
Funny to hear you say that. I've hear the same from many friends who grew up around here. I guess it's what you're used to for anyone. I think, growing up, we all knew when a hurricane was coming days in advance and if you were inland somewhat you really didn't have too many issues. It's the whole not knowing where they are and if they'll hit near you that freaks me out the most.

I once weathered a Nor'Easter in my inlaws beach house in NH. Waves were crashing over the beach wall and seawater was running down each side of the yard. The next morning we found the Portsmouth channel marker (read BIG) on the beach in front of the house. Powerful yes, but somehow predicable.

Maybe I'm crazy (well OK I'm crazy) but knowing it's coming is better for me. One thing I will say in a Tornado's favor, twenty minutes later....it was blue skies again.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Heck Steven....I have even gone out chasing tornados when I was younger. It is a contact sport on the Great Plains...

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 04:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Regrettably we get all types of nasty weather here in VA. Hurricanes (Isabell in '03), Nor'Easters, tornados (usually F1s to F3s, but an F5 struck just across the Potomac in La Plata, MD recently) and HAIL! Last summer my brand new 2004 CCD got clobbered with 1" size hail. The stretched aluminum end cap sections (being thinner) suffered the worst. There are numerous pot marks on them now. Amazingly the thicker roof and side panels didn't have any visabledamage. My neighbor, a former Airstreamer, said that over time, the heating and cooling by the Sun will smooth the depressions out some. To date, they are still noticable.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:45 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey Steve, I'm was in Sellersburg (15 miles north of Louisvile) and so was the Safari. I was in a panic. The tornado sirens went off about 4 times, got pitch black and the wind and sudden temp drop had me REALLY worried. But in the end, it was just really windy, a bit of rain and just plain lucky none of the range of penny size hail to baseball size hail they were talking about showed it's face, or I'd have been cryin' in my beer last night.

Bottom line, I shared your pain yesterday, exactly, and felt like this for those two some hours
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:00 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Nothing strikes fear in me like the thought of having my Airstream exposed to a hail storm & "Bismarked" (re: Bismark ND - WBCCI Intnl circa '99?). Too bad there isn't some kind of 'hail blanket' you could throw over it when necessary.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
First post and am not very computer literate but I was at the 93 International in Bismark N.D. when the hailstorm hit and I remember the intense rain and flooding that resulted.I believe the GOLD section of the rally was flooded in places with all the electrical hook-ups underwater.Pallets had to be laid down for some folks so they didn't have to wade to their rigs.A memorable rally to be sure.
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

For the first time since I have owned my coach it is under roof. It was worth every penny not to have to worry about it. Of course there is still the chance of high winds or a tornado, but that is a very slight risk compared to the frequency of hailstorms.

On the other hand, it is supposed to drop to 29 deg. tonight, and I am going to have to go out and turn on the furnace to keep it from freezing! And here it is April 23! Global warming, bah!

Mark
Old 04-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I've been thinking about different tactics one could use if a hail storm is coming and you can't move. I put grommets in the outdoor carpet that I use & thought I'd throw it over at least the end caps I tie it down, but I think it would abrade the finish because of it's rough finish. I've thought about carryimg bubble wrap or something that could be unrolled quickly and thrown over the ends but that's bulky to carry and hard to secure. I've also thought about a canopy with the collapsable pup tent poles that could be attached and quickly pulled over each end. There must be a practical, easy method, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 11:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Wouldn't it be nice, if someone would invent and market an inflatable cushion/cover that could be unrolled, spread over the trailer, tied down and quickly inflated with a DC air pump. This might protect from most hail events.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
New Mexico Tornados

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
I'm happy to be in the mountains of New Mexico, where tornados just don't exist.
Lynn
Not exactly, I saw a small tornado in Rio Rancho a few years ago and one west of Estancia last year. We also had a tornado warning last fall in Estancia. and they had one near enough to Albuquerque a few days ago that photos were on the news. Maybe there are no tornados in the mountains but we have out share in other parts of the state. Not to mention dust devils which will sandblast your coach in a few seconds.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Not exactly, I saw a small tornado in Rio Rancho a few years ago and one west of Estancia last year. We also had a tornado warning last fall in Estancia. and they had one near enough to Albuquerque a few days ago that photos were on the news. Maybe there are no tornados in the mountains but we have out share in other parts of the state. Not to mention dust devils which will sandblast your coach in a few seconds.
Ah, but, you see, you guys are down in "low country," where that kind of thing is possible. We live halfway to the moon in altitude, so we get cold (really, really cold!!), and we can have some ugly thunderstorms, but the hail winds up underdeveloped, and tornados just don't make it at all.

Speaking of which, though, when we lived in Tejas, I used to throw an old banket over our MG to protect it from big hail storms. It worked well. All that was apparently needed was something to provide a little bit of cushion from the stones.

Lynn