Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Marco Island , Florida
Ghost Amp Draw

Is anyone experiencing a amperage draw on the vehicle battery which causes complete drainage of the starter battery? We had a Victron solar system installed by Lew Farber (Solar Tech) two years ago with 400 watts of solar and 400 amp hours of lithium storage. The batteries needed to be replaced and the system redone because of a flaws in the batteries. Lew replaced both batteries and redid the wiring for the solar.
In December we replaced the Fusion radio (it had burned out as well as the speakers) which we had understood was a potential concern with respect to amp draw from the vehicle battery.
Early this month we took the vehicle in for the emissions recall which went well. As always MB performed a comprehensive check of the vehicle and replaced the battery which was under warranty having been installed a year before.
Subsequent to this work I have been monitoring voltage in the starter battery. Over two days the voltage had dropped to 50% of capacity.
Lew claims that there is nothing from the coach side of the vehicle is drawing down the starter battery and it must have something to do with the Mercedes side.
I took the vehicle back to MB today for them to evaluate.
Has anyone else experienced a similar issue and if so what is the cure?
This isn't necessarily restricting us in our travels as I can disconnect the starter battery with the cable by the accelerator but it is inconvenient and I would like to eliminate the issue.
Thanks
wildwilly. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Wildwilly,

First I don’t own an AI or motor home. But hearing what the dealer has to say will be very interesting. Get exact details of what they did and changed etc.

Just this week I borrowed a slightly special clamp on ammeter and did several current draw tests on my trailer.

Here’s what I learned. Using a clamp on ammeter is very easy. Open clamp position over cable close clamp and read amps. I was getting data and down to 0.1 amps just messing around.

Pretty sure if you found that one battery to AI positive cable you could do same.

This meter also reads the typical AC, DC, Ohms, and more. It covers most anything you would normally want to measure.

But if you’re looking at one for this purpose make sure it reads DC amps that’s the kicker.

I bought one few yrs ago and missed the DC amp function by less than $20 or so. Tool box has space for a new meter and son gets a used good meter soon.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
You might want to check in the Sprinter and B-van forum which covers your Interstate model:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/

Or the Batteries etc. sub-forum:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/

Good luck.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote