Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2003, 07:37 AM   #1
Krazykraut

Fresh water tank cleaning

My fresh water start to tast funny, is there a recommended way to clean the tank? It's a 2002 Landyacht. I think the tank is plastic.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:19 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I believe there are instructions in your owners manual. You use chlorine bleach ( I can't recall the exact ratio). Flush the tank with clean water and then add baking soda (again, I cant remember the amount). Flush again with clean water and you are finished.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 08:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
I try to drain it as much as possible and finish the trip with fresh water on empty. When at a full hookup site, I will not hook up to water and use the tank instead. I can always fill back up before I go. Keep cycling water through as much as possible. I watered my lawn one day with two gray water tankfuls of water from the fresh water tank.

I have used the bleach method and it does work well.

I would love to have a drain valve on my 345 to completely drain the fresh water tank. It seems crazy to have to run the faucets and pump to drain the tank.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I still wonder about the drain on my tank. Under the couch at the rear where it is also under the heating duct, and really hard to get to is a drain valve for the fresh water. If I turn it it seems like the water will drain into the cabin. I looked underneath and don't find a drain hose poking out anywhere. Makes no sense....I usually have to drain thru the system, and then this last time I vacuumed the excess out thru the hot water drain hole. A pain but it seemed to work.
I cleaned my tank last year with a cup of bleach, then drove to mix it around a bit, drained, flushed and added a few tbspoons of baking soda to neutralize. Seemed to do the job. There are also purification additives available at WalMart and other spots.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 08:13 PM   #5
30 yr Airstreamer

2018 16' Sport
Port Townsend , Washington
Several solutions

The baking soda and bleach where mentioned. I tried "Spring fresh" last season and it seemed to do the trick. There is also "TastePURE", "EZ-RV H2O freshener" tabs and liquid. All available at Camping world. The best thing to do is after draining all the water/antifreeze and flushing your tank, refill 1/2 way and add a cleaning solution. Then drive around for a while. The more curves and bumps the better. Then come home and drain and flush again. This will take the better part of a morning but it will work pretty well. Also check your water filter, may be time for a new cartridge.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 08:27 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
prevention

how about preventing the problem? i always keep the tank full, and add bleach between trips. that way nothing gets a chance to grow down there.

when it is time to use the trailer again i drain, flush and refill.

the water does not seem any more clorinated than what i get from my city supply.

i do drain the system for winter storage, as leaving water in the tank would not work. it is -5 out tonight!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

I concur with the cleaning methods mentioned here. I always drain the hot water tank after each trip. I do add the chlorine when about twenty miles from home after a trip...then when I get home I drain the remainder of the tank, usually 1/4 tank or so. When I refill for next trip, I usually add 1 tablespoons bleach with full tank of fresh water. I do have "City" water.

When we purchased the MH, we had the "rotten egg" smell when using hot water for the first couple camping trips. I think it must have been the antifreeze...I shut off the water heater valve when winterizing the system to avoid getting antifreeze in there.
I suck the antifreeze via a "T" fitting I added between the fresh water tank and the pump and run through the pipes until I get it to come out ALL faucets, shower, toilet, ice maker, etc. I then lbow out the system...leaving the antifreeze in the drain line traps and holding tanks.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 09:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Are you sure?

Alan,
Are you sure that you don't have a drain for the fresh water tank...our 1979 has three valves located under the road side rear bed. One drains the fresh water tank for sure, the others I can't remember right now... BOY, I need to get out camping again...+5 degrees here tonight, 2" snow today.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote