Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1998 30' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Everson , Washington
Electric radiator cooling fan help.

When my 1998 Land Yacht electric radiator cooling fan comes on it turns clock wise direction? This direction pulls hot air out of the radiator and sends it toward the front of the RV. Is this the correct rotation or has this fan been running backwards from the factory?
Please, I need to get this resolved !
Thank you.
Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
lafayette , Colorado
Interesting I'll have to go ck mine. It doesn't cool the radiator, it comes on to cool the a/c condenser by way of a temp switch on the dryer.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have never ever seen an electric radiator fan which did not move air into the engine compartment, not pull air from it. I would say yours is mis wired and fighting the main belt driven fan system.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Or mounted wrong side to....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by garypk View Post
Interesting I'll have to go ck mine. It doesn't cool the radiator, it comes on to cool the a/c condenser by way of a temp switch on the dryer.

Please please let me know after you check yours. I agree it comes on to cool the condenser looks like it is pulling hot air out of the radiator into the condenser, I must be missing something.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:42 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I have never ever seen an electric radiator fan which did not move air into the engine compartment, not pull air from it. I would say yours is mis wired and fighting the main belt driven fan system.

When I open the hood when the fan is running I get hit with a blast of hot air. I think you are right but the engine is at ideal and not moving forward so there isn't much of a fight the electric fan is moving a lot more air.
Mis wired, I think you are right but I wonder if I am missing something.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #7

1977 25' Tradewind
kingston , Ontario
Most fans for transmission fans are usually placed in front of the condenser in your case it is behind and pushing hot air forward this is not correct try reversing your wires to see if your fan will change directions if not then you are going to have to put it in front of the condenser and not behind it.vette59jdwl
bobby-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
1989 37' Airstream 370
Mocksville , North Carolina
Fan

on my 1989 Motor home, I put on a new electric fan . There are 2 wires, If you hook them up one way, they run one way, hook them up the other way, they run the other way. The instructions say that the fan should push the air towards the motor.
camphost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
colebrook , Connecticut
the motor home is not moving when you check the fan therefore it only function is cooling when there is no air flowing across the radiator. As soon as the motor home starts moving air flow across the radiator will shut the fan off . the fan will free wheel.

i would not be concerned about direction it runs as long as the the engine temperature stays normal.
malett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I have a Hayden fan that I used on a high HP engine. It can be wired as a pusher or puller depending on the installation in front of or to the rear of the radiator/condenser/oil cooler.
All it required for direction change was switching the wiring at the relay. If you know who made it, that company should have a schematic for you to make it run correctly.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by camphost1 View Post
on my 1989 Motor home, I put on a new electric fan . There are 2 wires, If you hook them up one way, they run one way, hook them up the other way, they run the other way. The instructions say that the fan should push the air towards the motor.

Thanks to all for taking your time to help.
I am convinced this fan is running in the wrong direction from the factory I will deal with that tomorrow. I would not expect this from Airstream but there you go. I think if nothing else our air conditioner will work better in stop and go traffic with cooler air moving over the condenser then the hot air drawn from radiator over the condenser but what would I know I am just an electrician.
If this is all true this will be the second fan I found running backwards. The first was a stove vent fan on a Coachman RV we had once, that wasn't the only thing wrong with Coachman but the fan worked so much better going the right direction, go figure.
I will post any change good or bad in the RV because of this change.
Thanks again
Old 09-03-2015, 11:19 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Everson , Washington
Well first day with the electric cooling fan turning the right direction.
No blast of hot air after opening the hood with the fan running. Air conditioner put out cooler air when we were setting as it does moving down the road at 60. The radio seemed to bring in clearer sound ,, jest kidding about the radio. I don't have documentable scientific proof but we are driving in 95 degree heat and any little bit helps. I can't see how the air conditioner would not be helped by this cooler air. And maybe the radio does sound better.
Trident
Old 09-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trident View Post
Well first day with the electric cooling fan turning the right direction.

And maybe the radio does sound better.
Trident
Music to our ears.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote