Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2003, 07:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Drape tabs

Does anyone know what kind of drape tabs go on the drapes for an '81 28' MH? It has a rear bath, and the twins have levolor blinds put in rather shoddily by the PO. I will be keeping the blinds, but I want to cover the windows and blinds with drapes as it was designed to do. The metal track is still on the ceiling, and I see a "snap" on the wall. I have replacement drapes taken from my mom's sold home, and I need to have a seamstress add the tabs. These drapes are old Sears drapes with the rubber backing...real good quality and look new. The tabs available at Inland RV are the Kirsch, T, or G types. I think the Kirsch or T would work, but I want to know what came with the MH. I've tried emailing Andy at Inland, and I even called their direct line because the 800 number was always busy. A lady took my message and said they would call the next day, but never did. I've emailed again to no avail. They may be very busy, but I wonder if he even got the message or if someone else reads the emails. I would like to order these from him soon, along with those remote Ramco or Velvac mirrors I've asked for a quote and haven't heard back about those either. I'm ancy about getting my baby up to snuff
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

There are other Airstream dealers, and most will mail order. Some will have no idea what you are talking about, though, so call around until you find someone who does.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:22 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The two type of tabs you will need are the T or G tabs.

It depends on where the drapes go as to what tabs to use. In the rear of out coach all of the drapes are on G tabs. The windshield drape is on G's and the tops of the lounge are on T, bottoms of lounge on G.

The T tabs can be purchased at Camping world for less than any where else. G tabs are a dealer only item and run 35-45 cents each. I Just ordered 200 G's from the dealer, and picked up 90 Ts at camping world as My Wife is making all new curtains for the coach starting tommrow. This will be the third coach she has made curtains for. I could not do what she does with a sewing machine!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
OK great! I didn't even think about looking at the windshield tabs, as they are the only ones with side sliding drapes made by the PO. The rest of the window covers are those real nice draw string pull up or roll up blinds made of drape material Idon't know why they didn't put those in the rear bath for the bath window...it would have gone well there instead of that ugly pull shade that's there. I took it out and spray painted it today with metallic granite spray. It looks good drying outside, Will place them back tomorrow. Iwas hoping to not have to use those G tabs...they look complicated. The T and K tabs work similar to eacxh other. I'll be passing by CW tomorrow. I'll make a stop there. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:37 PM   #5
qqq
4 Rivet Member

How do you remove the drapes from the rail I see no space to remove the tabs at the end of the rail

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:28 AM   #6
Rivet Master

"How do you remove the drapes from the rail"

On my '85 there was either a screw at the end, which you can unscrew, or a rivet, which must be drilled out (1/8th" bit).

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:31 AM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
If you have plastic end cap on the rail you will need to remoe it by taking out the 2 retaining screws. Then pull it straight off.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-25-2003, 08:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
In reference to qqq Hart's question, I saw a thread about that a while back with some real nice photos showing the end cap and access to it. Try "search" for drapes or curtains...maybe you'll find it. It seems to me that it was rather difficult to remove without taking apart the whole motorhome, then rebuilding it
Old 07-25-2003, 01:22 PM   #9
qqq
4 Rivet Member

On my Safari the rail stops at the wall both sides (window over the bed) no rivets , plastic ends, screws no space to do anything

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 03:12 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Hart,

Depending on the hanger/rail the removal process is diffrent. On the newer models there is an end. On yours there may be a wide spot or hole one or two inches in from the end toward the bathroom. In front of this hole there will be a rivet to stop the sliders from falling out.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 07-25-2003, 03:31 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Astrodokk,

If you have a center twin, (I did not read your profile before answering, bad moderator!) the tabs on the sides are going to be T on top. The bottoms could be G type, but you will need to comapre track shapes/orientation. If the slot is facing Up or Down then it uses a T. If the slot is horizontial then it needs a G.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49