Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1996 35' Land Yacht Widebody
council grove , Kansas
Draing freshwater tank

Hello Dave,
My water system works ok on city water, but not using the fresh water tank.
I pres7me the pump is bad and I plan on replacing it- I have filled the fresh water tank all the way up, and in looking for the valve to drain it, I can't find it.
Any suggestions?
thanks,
Merrill
merrillv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
In the water/outside shower bay, there are three drain valves in the front left corner. I believe the one most forward is the main tank, one is for the hot water tank, and the other the line drain.
Your pump is located on the top of this same compartment, behind the wall that the taps are mounted on. If you need to get to the pump, disconnect the taps and that wall can be removed.
The pump has a filter screen in it that should be cleaned now and then. If the pump will not suction, the plastic bowl on the pump for the filter, may be cracked from freezing or ?

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A few quick checks on the pump:

1) Is it turned on? (don't ask how I know to check this one ....)
2) Is the fuse blown?
3) Are the valves etc. in run mode rather than in winter mode?

Sorry if you have already checked all that. I've freaked out after missing the obvious in the past ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Are you talking about a trailer or a MH?

If a trailer I suspect the drain valve for the fresh water tank is on the curb side of the trailer, on the end of the tank, behind the wheel wells. That is where it is on our 2 late 80's trailers and our neighbors mid 90's trailer. I have to lie down on the ground in front of the wheels and look back with a flashlight to see the little white valve. Can just barely reach it with a finger and it is hard to turn. Not fun at all.

Could be the pump. I have replaced several. But it could also be that the pump has lost prime and there is a air leak in the suction line between the pump and the tank. Check to see if the pump is actually running and check to see if there is a leak due to drying out in the lines below the pump. On our trailer the pump is in the floor of the hall closet and you can access a good bit of the suction line there.

I have no clue if it is a motorhome. But on caravans I sometimes see them carrying pumps around in the campground and working in the trailer. I think the pumps are bigger and more expensive for them.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

council grove , Kansas
draining fresh water tank

Hello Dave,

Thanks again for your reply.
I saw that you had answered this question before.I
had previously tried these valves and although the tank was full when I opened the valve it would not drain.
After reading your response that verified that this was the correct valve, I blew some air back through it and it started draining.
I have now replaced the pump and now everything is working fine.
Thanks also to the other responders.
Best wishes, and Happy camping,
Merrill
Old 07-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Merrill,
While your checking your water lines, might want to pay attention to the brass pressure reducing valve that's on the main city water line. Mine started leaking and was in a hard to reach spot under the kitchen cabinets. Called RV Mobile guy and we ended up removing the city water fill connection on the outside which gave a large hole for access to the pressure reducing valve. That valve is exactly like ones I had in my homes and commercial buildings. The RV Mobile guy was shocked to see it and after much discussion, we decided it was not necessary as long as I use an inline brass pressure reducing valve at the spigot for the water connection.

So far, no leaks and pressure is where it should be. Will post some photos of that project repair for others to see.

I also had an issue with black water coming from the internal pump. It goes away after a while but its residue build up on the impeller. Decided to use my tank water for the washer and that was a good way to give it lots of use plus get rid of the water in that tank.

Getting ready for the Airstream Rally in Michigan so got to have everything working for a week of boondocking!!

Mike
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht Bus
Columbus , Ohio
Merrill
I had the same problem on mine which is the same as yours and Daves. I found the pump was mounted behind the wall in the shower/water bay but it was actually at the top of the bay and was above the level of the fresh water tank. I remounted it at the bottom so there was a constant "head" of natural water pressure going into the pump. It has worked perfectly the last year and a half.
superoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

council grove , Kansas
Drainig fresh water tank.

<P>Hello Superoma,</P>
<P>Thanks for the helpful info.</P>
<P>Mine seems to be working ok now that I have changed the pump.</P>
<P>Just as a matter of interest, I wonder how many of the 25 units made are still on the road. I know of four- yours, mine, Daves, on one for sale on the internet.</P>
<P>Best wishes,</P>
<P>Merrill</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
Old 08-07-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht Bus
Columbus , Ohio
Merrill,

I have always read there were only 25 built and I have stuck with that myself. I actually don't know how we could find out for sure. With that said, I only know of yours, Dave's, and mine. I agree I have seen some for sale on the internet and likely there is at least a couple more that are known but I haven't seen their involvement in the forum.

If we ever head your way, I will try to make better contact so we could compare the units side by side. Dave simply lives too far away - ha...

Thanks again and keep sharing info and questions. Dave has been unbelievably helpful to me in his long standing documentation about the unit. I have made reference many time to his postings in order to better understand some of my own situations.

Thanks
Steve Wallace
superoma is offline   Reply With Quote