Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

chicago , Illinois
deciding between Interstate and Cloud

Checked out the interstate this weekend loved it but since
my primary use will be to take my bordercollies to sheep herding trials
didn't think there would be enough room. plus they are at least 2x as exspensive as the trailors.

So I looked at a 25' cloud and they are sooo nice!!

So a few questions;
1) how hard is it to drive towing a trailer?
2) is it worth getiing the solar panels?
3) What % off can I expect to get with some slick negotiating?
Thanks!
echo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You need to consider how you will be using your RV now and in the future before you decide whether you want to go with a Bvan type Interstate or a car/truck with a Flying Cloud. If you do not have a Tow Vehicle capable of pulling a trailer, you need to add its cost into the overall cost. If you buy a new truck will you keep your car? Insurance and registration costs will double. You could sell your car and just keep the truck. A trailer gives you the opportunity to keep it on site and take your car to town or tour the local area. If you have just the Interstate, you will need to use it to go to town and pack everything up each time. If you are just touring and do not do local exploring, a BVan is the easiest way to make a lot of quick stop overs. Uncaged dogs can sometimes can be a distraction if not a problem either in the truck or in the B Van. Leaving them loose in the trailer on the road is not the best either. Most of the dog showers I know have pickups with ventilated cages in the box and have trailers. This gives them maximum flexibility.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 View Post
Checked out the interstate this weekend loved it but since
my primary use will be to take my bordercollies to sheep herding trials
didn't think there would be enough room. plus they are at least 2x as exspensive as the trailors.

So I looked at a 25' cloud and they are sooo nice!!

So a few questions;
1) how hard is it to drive towing a trailer?
2) is it worth getiing the solar panels?
3) What % off can I expect to get with some slick negotiating?
Thanks!
Gotcha!
The interstate is neat and bootiful, too. But I agree with you it's SMALL and border collies are not known as couch potatoes either.

I like my 25 FB. Not too fond of the model with the bath next to the BED - the bathroom door is narrow and if your black tank isn't heavily treated with enzymes - well, ick... right next to where you're sleeping?

1) Towing an AIRSTREAM is about 1/3 to 1/4 the stress of towing any bumper-towed SOB (square old box) trailer. It takes a bit of learning curve but if it's set up right you can almost forget you've got an Airstream back there.

2) I know nothing about solar panels, but the general wisdom here is that it's cheaper to retrofit them later than get the factory ones. I'd pass on solar - then add it later if not having it turned out to be a problem. Also roof mount solar panels won't work very well if you are parked in the wrong direction, are under shade or in heavy cloud cover. I chose a Honda 3000 Handi generator. My neighbors appreciated it last weekend when the park lost power. I lit off my heat pump and their 110 electric space heater at the same time! Can't run either of those on solar.

3) On a great day you can get 20%. The bad news is that it's March and camping season is just around the corner. December-January would have been better for nickel squeezing time. Let me suggest instead that you go to the Classifieds here and see what's for sale. You might still choose NEW but it doesn't cost anything to check out the eye-candy! BTW the Flying Cloud was called "Safari" as late as 2006 I think.

You didn't ask, but may I humbly suggest that you upgrade the upholstery to "Pleather" because of your Dogs. The Flying Cloud cloth upholstery isn't the top grade ever made... and Dog claws... and dog hair... and the occasional upchuck? The fake leather wipes clean easily.

If you'd like a really dog friendly Airstream, don't forget to look at the 25 FT "Eddie Bauer" model. Carry a drool cloth. It's not a good fulltimer Airstream because of all of the storage that's been sacrificed under the dinette and gaucho, but your dogs will think they've died and gone to heaven! (The under the bed storage for the table top is poorly thought out too. but it can also be stored inside of the folded up streetside dinette bench.) And I know it's the wrong size and at the wrong end of the country, but there IS a PanAmerica model (toy hauler) in the classifieds right now.

Choices, choices, choices - The hunt is almost as much fun as the purchase.

I am personally drooling over the 30 ft Serenity - and the 27 foot Eddie Bauer that they've just announced. But I'm satisfied with daydreaming occasionally.... I already HAVE my Airstream.

Happy Hunting!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Have to ask - did you consider a different brand of motor home? Something like a Winnebago View would give you easy driving and more room, all at the price of the Interstate. Not quite as snazzy maybe, but could better fit your needs.

Tom
Old 03-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

chicago , Illinois
Thanks everyone!
i already have a Land rover LR4 which is capable of towing
7500 ibs, this should make my decision easier.

I didn't even think about the bathroom next to the bedroom and smell
issues?

I havent looked at any other brands since it seems the airstream
has the best resale value.

Another thing going for purchasing a trailer rather than another self propelled
vehicle is I won't have additional maintenance to have to pay for
like oil changes etc.

which is the best floor plan for the cloud 25'?

Thanks
echo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 View Post
Thanks everyone!
i already have a Land rover LR4 which is capable of towing
7500 ibs, this should make my decision easier.

I didn't even think about the bathroom next to the bedroom and smell
issues?

I havent looked at any other brands since it seems the airstream
has the best resale value.

Another thing going for purchasing a trailer rather than another self propelled
vehicle is I won't have additional maintenance to have to pay for
like oil changes etc.

which is the best floor plan for the cloud 25'?

Thanks

Floor plans change from year to year - currently only the 23's have the corner bed/bath. Here's a link to Airstream's FC floor plans. (Do look at the International and Classic floor plans too.) They're just higher trim levels with similar floor plans. If you buy used you might find a good deal on one of these.

Airstream, Inc :: Floorplans

BTW - I took another look at the classifieds myself. Low and behold that PAN AMERICA is located here in VIRGINIA. Talk about having a separate "grooming studio"! You'd be a bit underpowered though with your current tow vehicle. The Arfies would love it though.