Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2003, 06:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Contents of holding tank frozen.

The contents of the holding tank on my 350 Classic are frozen so I assume it cannot be dumped. The coach is stored outside in the cold New England climate and I have not been able to find a heated garage to let it sit a few days and thaw. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do, if anything??
Dave Emmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 06:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Idea~

Dave,
You must have some vacation time on the books..
Why not take a trip to FL for a week~?
That would warm your soul and, thaw the tanks..
(just my.02 cents) <grins>

Or, let's assume you're not able to get away..Turn your furance on and, run it for several days or until the tanks thaw out..The hot air from the furance will circulate under your floor and thaw the tanks, etc.
Oh, man..I hope you didn't freeze the water lines too~?
Good luck to you from NH..
ciao
Attached Images

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
How full are the tanks? If there is only an inch or so, you are probably ok. The hard plastic drain lines are 3" and will crack first. If there is more than that the drain lines or valves might have already broken and once thawed you need to get them drained quickly or deal with leaking sewage. If it is pretty full I would thaw them and find a place to dump before it ruptured the tanks. They are expensive and a lot of work to change. The furnace heats the holding tanks. If you have enough propane they will thaw.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:18 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Water lines are not frozen, I just bought the coach in November and had the entire vehicle looked at by a local RV service shop. They told me that the tank is about 50% full and when I open the drain valve it is about half full of frozen water. The seller claims it is grey water. If I pour non toxic antifreeze down the toilet will that break it up??
Dave Emmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:34 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I do not belive the anitfreeze will break it up. It is designed to prevent freezing not reverse it. You may want to try some rock salt mixed in water dumped down the drains. One big concern I would have is the water in the traps. There is room for expansion there but if they are frozen as well it will be difficult to get any type of un-freezing solution to the tanks until you melt them.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 08:14 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Dave "Grey" water is not connected to your toilet , it is the water from you sinks and shower , The rock salt approach may not be all bad with the exception that mineral salt stops working somewhere around 17 degrees F. Good luck !
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 08:35 AM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I was thinking the rock salt with a bit of running the heat should allow the frozen fluids to at least turn to a slush that could be dumped with some additional water.

The rock salt may quit working as a melting agent at 17 degrees, but I belive it wall act as a anitifreeze to at the very least stop the hard freeze that will break things. Also I would caution against using a chemical de-icer pellet to do this as you may damage the tanks or valves, and that is what you are trying to avoid.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:20 AM   #8
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
how about this instead?

make a temporary skirt for the trailer out of tarps then beg borrow or rent the biggest salamander heater you can get your hands on.

heat the under side of the trailer trapping in the warm air with the tarps. every thing should thaw in a matter of hours.

if it is in fact grey water, you could just let it run on the ground.

directing the hot air blast at the valves might work the best as i suspect this is where there would be the least amount of insulation around the tanks.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 10:18 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I vote for the trip to Florida!
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
JOHN had the same idea I was going to suggest- a heater in a "tent" of tarp to thaw, then drain, and then add rv antifreeze to the tank when near empty.

On a related subject, I drained my tank ( so I thought) by letting the water run into the grey tank until it seemed empty. Then I took the plug out of my water heater and used a shop wet-dry vac to suck out the water remaining in it. I had the valve open from the tank, and ended up vacuuming out almost 10 gallons! Freaked me out as I thought the tank was empty, and my info panel said it was empty also.
I added 2 gallons of antifreeze to the nearempty tank, and shut the bypass on the hot water heater. Phew!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 07:31 PM   #11
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Talking

Use the furnace!!!!!!!!