Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Considering selling 27' to get Interstate

We aren't using our 27 foot Flying Cloud and think we'd be more happy in a class B. It seems like it will be a better fit for our lifestyle. We like quick getaways and have only camped for more than a few days once or twice.

Has anyone made this move? Any regrets or positive experiences?
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:00 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
2020 30' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Merritt Island , Florida
AlumFalcon: We considered the same with our 27 FC. We bought the 2016 Interstate Grand Tour, but it didn't fit our camping style so well. So, we prefer the trailer and have placed the 9700 mile Interstate for sale, regretfully. Don (Dsquare)
Dsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
We considered a Class B before purchasing our Airstream. Our travels for the most part are long halls, 1000 miles our more, much more. So, the decision was made to purchase our 25 flying cloud mainly because of the versatility of setting up at the campground & having the truck to get around rather than breaking camp every time we wanted to go somewhere. I still believe a class B has many advantages, in fact in Tennessee last fall we seen a silver Interstate pulling a double axel Airstream, best of both worlds.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
We've owned a 16 Bambi, 23 FC (twice), a 25, and a 28 Eddie Bauer, and enjoyed them all over the years. A few months ago we were taking a nostalgic look at our camping history and realized that the longest we have ever stayed in one place while camping was 5 days at the Grand Canyon. It appears that we "tour" (a fancy word for drive a lot) rather than "camp". So four months ago we traded the EB for an Interstate "Grand Tour" twin, and it fits our style perfectly. We are in our mid-sixties, still working, but very out-doors types and athletic, and my job allows me to get away on a regular basis. The Interstate is way too expensive, but loads of fun; not for everybody, but if your lifestyle fits then you are likely to enjoy it very much, as we do.
jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
So, the decision was made to purchase our 25 flying cloud mainly because of the versatility of setting up at the campground & having the truck to get around rather than breaking camp every time we wanted to go somewhere.
I drive an Interstate and pull a Honda Fit hatchback as a toad. I don't have to break camp every time I want to go somewhere. With the added advantage that when I do want to leave camp to visit a tourist attraction or make a grocery run, I can do it at a fuel-efficient 37mpg.

The choice is not just Interstate vs. trailer and tow vehicle. Adding a toad to the Interstate gives you a third option.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:45 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthor View Post
A few months ago we were taking a nostalgic look at our camping history and realized that the longest we have ever stayed in one place while camping was 5 days at the Grand Canyon. It appears that we "tour" (a fancy word for drive a lot) rather than "camp".
We noticed the same. We never want to go out for very long, more like 2-3 nights. It didn't bother me for the first couple of years, but now I find it to be too much of a hassle to hook up the trailer for such a short trip.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Nothing wrong with the Airstream Interstate for sure but check out some of the other conversions on the market. Quality work at good price points.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Nothing wrong with the Airstream Interstate for sure but check out some of the other conversions on the market. Quality work at good price points.
Any recommendations? We've looked around but the interior styling is our highest priority and can't find any that even come close to airstream's interior.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If you think you can handle less space, having to make up a bed, dealing with a wet bath, a diesel that can't run on greater than B5 and the price.

Check this site out

www.fitrv.com

They like the Class B. They have a Winnebago and modified it extensively to be more of a 4 season coach. They have lots of video reviews of various class B but no Interstates.

Kelvin
Kelvin
Old 04-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
I don't care for the small wet bath- other than that they should be fine
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Our Unit has at least one Interstate that comes on our outings so I have had a chance to talk with that couple. Like everything else it really depends on you and what you like/dislike.
They break camp every time they leave the campground; the rest of us just get in our trucks and go. They are a bit portly and I see them awkwardly moving around in their Interstate, trying to pass each other. They have the Lounge and have to put the bed away to use it. Whenever we camp, we spend more time just lounging around than we do "seeing" things so that would be a turn off for me. The small wet bath in the Interstate reminds me of boating; I see some just use campground facilities. Ugh!
Lastly, the inaccessibility of equipment on the Interstate is even worse than trailers, if you do you own maintenance and repair.
I am sure the Interstate is perfect for some people, but it would never work for us. My sister-in-law has a custom conversion on a Sprinter chassis and she loves it, but the only time she is ever in the unit, when not driving it, is when she is sleeping. She is always out and about when she is camping.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
A Winnbago Aspect has more room & power for much less $$$.

My estimate is that towing a car. You will break even after only 123,500 miles of towing. It takes that much for the fuel savings to offset the cost of the towing eqpt. You CAN just drive the 2nd vehicle if you must have one. (If someone is camping with you.)

Most type B owners seldom hook up anything more than electrical cable. That is quick. Hook up water at night.
Most type Bs don't have leveling sys. Try to get a 12VDC refer....forget the propane refer if you go to a type B.

I have used my type B for 20 years + the TransVan before the Coach House for 6 years & never, repeat never, have needed a 2nd vehicle.
Let's Roll !
��
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Alaska View Post
My estimate is that towing a car. You will break even after only 123,500 miles of towing. It takes that much for the fuel savings to offset the cost of the towing eqpt.
I don't look at it that way.

First, I live alone so I'm a one-driver family. There is no second driver to drive the Honda instead of me towing it.

Second, all it takes is ONE hurricane evacuation where I can take both of my vehicles instead of leaving one behind at the mercy of the storm, and the towing equipment pays for itself.

Third, since I have a toad for hurricane evacuation purposes versus having a daily driver that isn't a toad, I might as well get in as much towing practice as I can by towing it as much as I can. I've towed my Honda over 14,000 miles to date, to 39 different destinations. There has only been one trip out of those 39 where I didn't drive my toad somewhere after I got to my destination.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You seldom see any Class B's with a tow vehicle behind....bikes, yes, but a tow vehicle is the exception rather than the rule.

Mobility, great fuel economy and compact.

They're not for everyone, but for many they are perfect.

Me, for instance.

Maggie
Old 04-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have seen a good number towing small travel trailers and storage utility type trailers. I know two members that tow Bambi's with their interstate. Spotted on the highway a couple of days ago an Interstate towing an RPod TT.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Interstates were originally designed to tow trailers, as I recall.

Ours had been used to tow trailers to RV Shows.

Maggue
Old 04-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

I traded my BAMBI 16' Sport in on an Airstream Interstate just last week. Being a senior lady traveling solo, I determined I need more conveniences and less labor intensive in order to allow me to get more in depth use of my travel unit. I like that I can park it at home during travel season, to allow for frequent trips.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:08 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sanibel , Florida
30 years ago we did a lot of camping and the trailer was great. But now we are retired and mostly travel between MO and FL. The Class B is fantastic. And we tow a Honda CRV which works fine. So your best answer is probably in how you travel, camping or just destination moving. We like the Interstate better than the Class A we had before because of the ease of getting in and out of Walmart and Steak N Shake!
markc12v30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Considering selling 27' to get Interstate

I had a 1971 27' Overlander that I towed with ab E-350 Ford passenger van. I seldom used the trailer as I had to store it a long ways from my home in Seattle. My first RV was a Dodge van that I converted to a camper. After owning the Airstream trailer for a few years I discovered a trailer didn't work well for my desired travels. When I moved east I got the Interstate and it is great for my triple needs. It's a passenger van that seats seven, it's a cargo van that I can load up on a wood platform placed over the rear lounge bed and it is a great travel van that sleeps two in comfort. I've had it now for a three years and put on 65,000 miles. Here is a shot of hauling carpet to the landfill when I replaced the carpet in my bedroom with solid oak flooring. I also used the Interstate to haul the flooring home from Lowes.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1460731891.591883.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	260767

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Here is a shot of hauling carpet to the landfill when I replaced the carpet in my bedroom with solid oak flooring.

Wow, I hadn't even thought about the extra use as a cargo van. Inspiring pic, thanks.