Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
saxonsraven

Consider this

Hello folks
I finally got to drive my 24ft MH. It had been sitting in MO. having its heart replaced, After two failed transplants in Texas (that was another story) she was under care in Springfield. She was having a new reconditioned GM 454 installed and was now ready to go home.
The mechanic told me to drive the MH home at 70 mph and not to worry, (I do not know but on hindsight I think he just wanted me to be far enough away if anything happened so I would not be able to go back). I drove at 50 to 55 mph till I was 400miles from home. I had been checking her oil and transmission fluid at every stop, she had a tranny leak which left a six inch pool at every gas fill up. She averaged about 7 mpg till I made the pact.
When I was about 400 miles from home it started. Metal against metal sounds came from under the floor. I had just agreed to myself that I should when I had time think about replacing the Transmission so I would not have to worry about age and reliability just maintainance for a while. I quickly restated my decision, I would replace the transmission if she got me back home or if she died now this moment I would abandon her to the elements and the savengers. I had no more resources to again rescue her for a very long time, knowing this it meant walking away and leaving her by the road.
I dropped down to 30 40 mph and continued at this speed for the rest of the journey. I mean I continued at this speed on the shoulder as truckers enmass drove inches from me. I think I should have died for real twice. I had many close calls as I entered the New Jersey, New York City Long Island corridor. She groaned on many occasions as her wounds had metal salt ground into her. Adjusting the speed her pain eased and we made it to about two miles from home. Here she turned into the home strech wailed straightened up enough for me to pull over to the side of the road and died jet again.
She had snapped her drive shaft and opened up her transmission vein (hopefully her engine is fine), is in the shop with major medical but has her name for the record PHOENIX.
Did she hold out for 400 miles, does she think I am worthy consider this do I think she is?
Old 10-13-2003, 09:57 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Ah, just a few things to iron out in the beginning of the relationship. Just fix it and have fun, already!
But I do feel your pain, all the way across the country......
Old 10-13-2003, 10:01 PM   #3
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Thumbs up

Wow, be proud of that old girl.
Now, you are one for eternity.
After you get her fixed, she will give you many years of joy and dependability.
Awesome!! and congratulations!
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 10:13 PM   #4
saxonsraven

I need to add something and maybe the experts can advise.
I review all things and I realized that on the trip the old girl had a lot of flexing. This might be the cause of the front console breaking up and having to be replace (at a later date). The front dash seemed to shake a real lot as she was up on the tow I looked underneath. She is remarkably clean with no cracks.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:13 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

what an adventure!

She is a brave old gal and deserves the name you have given her.....you are lucky to have her...lol...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
wow, good luck now that you are finally at home.
After your tale and Brett's I am so thankful my trip from Dayton Ohio to Atlanta after buying my 280 was uneventful.
Through the Smoky mountains in the rain and all went smoothly.

If I knew then what I know now, would I have attempted it?

Darn right I would, just with a bigger supply of tools on hand
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Only 70 MPH ? Well I crused at 75-80 MPH on my maiden trip back! Why was I shocked at the 220 degree engine temps?

Never fear, Peter has corrected my ways!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 12:11 PM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by 1985air345

Never fear, Peter has corrected my ways!
Has he????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fredspeed.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	3482  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
IN YOUR REAR VIEW...

You might then see this scene next......
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:20 PM   #10
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Meanwhile back at the original topic..................

Saxonraven,

All you can do is be glad you were able to get it home where you have a mechanic that you can either trust or go beat on his door if it is not fixed to your satisfaction.

Think of it this way. You will have a classic MH with a NEW drivetrain by the time you are done. This sould give you the peice of mind to drive it anywhere. At the least she tried to get you home.

I rather enjoy the fact I have a new drivetrain while I am actually using the MH rather that having to install one just to sell it. In the long run you will too.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 03:59 PM   #11
saxonsraven

I am glad though very tired, 24 hours on the road 10 of which were at 20-35 miles per hour on the shoulder of I80 does mean something to me. i will take it slow over the winter and think about what to do with the front dash. It needs replacing, maybe reconfiguring to be more efficient. I do think the front needs a bit more rigidity so I will work on that.

The rear got beat up with the lower skirt by the bumpers getting broken so thats another thing to do. Other than that check the interior items that work and for soundness. It is all orginal and needs one or two upgrades.

I know someone online had done a new dash some I am going to check with him for details on a rigid frame. If anyone has any information on Argosy shell flexing I would appriciate know of it.