Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tappahannock , Virginia
Clearance on RORO Ferries - PEI and NC?

I'm towing an Airstream FC 25 with a Tahoe and wonder if there are ground clearance issues with boarding and driving off ferries such as the PEI ferry from Pictou and the NC ferries Hatteras-Ocracoke-Cedar Island? Thanks!
RivaHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Done both with my 31' and no problems. Fold in your mirrors and do exactly as the loadmaster asks. They have been doing this for a long time and will get you safely aboard and ashore...

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I've never been on the ferries you mention, but I have been on some in Puget Sound. Some places (maybe all of the Sound?) have some pretty big tides -- like low tide 10 feet down. With an extreme low tide, you have a risk of dragging your undercarriage or rear bumper. So I check the tide tables and avoid low tides.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
With an extreme low tide, you have a risk of dragging your undercarriage or rear bumper. So I check the tide tables and avoid low tides.
What SSquared said. Also, same thing can happen at extreme high tides.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This is not exactly addressing the OP's original question but it's proximal so I thought I'd mention it.

The larger regional RORO's such as the PEI ferry - I would expect, as the other posters have said, that those guys know what they are doing and can safely load just about anything. There's another recent thread about ferry options to NFLD and none of the folks who made that trip mentioned any physical restrictions on loading where trailers are concerned.

Smaller ferries in the same general geographic areas - not so much. For instance my husband and I took a look at the Englishtown Ferry in NS, which connects to the Cabot Trail and is one of seven smaller ferries operated by the province. We flew this year but plan to drive next year. I don't see us getting our 22-foot Airstream Interstate safely onto that ferry. Even in the best tidal conditions, the ramp angle changes too abruptly, meaning the rear end would scrape or hang up. We will be doing the circuitous route instead.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
David: We are on the road now headed north. Will be taking the NC ferry twice on and off Ocracoke heading south in two weeks. Let me know if you want an update on how that went.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tappahannock , Virginia
NC ferry update

Gamma Dog Yes! Re NC ferries.... Im heading that way end of month!
RivaHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Hatteras to Ocracoke

Took the ferry Hatteras to Ocracoke today. Easy trip. I scraped the hitch on the ramp while loading... No big deal though, it was the solid steel drop of the shank that scraped. Plenty of clearance on sides and overhead both getting on and off.

The only caution I would offer is that the loaders directed me on and off as if I was a car. I don't drive like a car when I have the trailer behind. I extend and square turns to make sure that the trailer sides don't hit obstacles, or tires go over curbs, etc.. I didn't follow the deckhands hand signals precisely... I watched where they wanted me to go and drove the line that put truck and trailer where they wanted me through a route that didn't scrape the trailer sides.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote