Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Calculating a Toad Weight

No doubt this has been well covered, but I can't seem to find the thread(s).
Need to calculate what I can tow as a toad with my '99 30' MH Land Yacht.
Appreciate if you could either give me what I need to use to get this figure, or point me to a thread.
Mike
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Limited by the lowest weight allowed component, check to see what your hitch says, then look to see if attaching points have been beefed up, AS had a 3000 limit, but many are pulling more. I didn't like the way the 4000+ pu pulled, so I got a Honda Fit at 2,500# much easier. Still pull the pu when we need the kayak and bikes.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:10 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprose View Post
Need to calculate what I can tow as a toad with my '99 30' MH Land Yacht.
Appreciate if you could either give me what I need to use to get this figure, or point me to a thread.
Looking through the Airstream document archive on their web page, I see that a 1999 30' Land Yacht has a hitch capacity of 4000# trailer weight, 400# tongue weight. As long as you're towing four-down there will be no tongue weight to speak of.

But just to confirm those numbers, somewhere on your motorhome there should be a data plate that lists the GVWR and the GCWR, probably the same data plate that lists the VIN and the recommended tire inflation pressure. On my Interstate the data plate is on the driver's side B-pillar; not sure where it would be on a Land Yacht.
GCWR-GVWR=GTRW.

By the way, I think DaveFL had a misprint on his weight for the Fit. My 2013 Fit toad has a curb weight of 2700# and a GVWR of 3500#, not the 2500# he lists.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Looking through the Airstream document archive on their web page, I see that a 1999 30' Land Yacht has a hitch capacity of 4000# trailer weight, 400# tongue weight. As long as you're towing four-down there will be no tongue weight to speak of.

But just to confirm those numbers, somewhere on your motorhome there should be a data plate that lists the GVWR and the GCWR, probably the same data plate that lists the VIN and the recommended tire inflation pressure. On my Interstate the data plate is on the driver's side B-pillar; not sure where it would be on a Land Yacht.
GCWR-GVWR=GTRW.
Many thanks. 21,000 GCWR - 16,500 GVWR = 4,500 GTRW. This allows me to tow a maximum of 4,500# - - certainly doable with a Honda Fit or Smartcar ForTwo towed four-down.
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote