Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2003, 02:58 PM   #1

Question Cal Smog? 1988 Airstream 345

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it might be to get an out-of-state Airstream motorhome (w/ a Chevy 454) to meet California smog standards?

Does anyone know if these were built w/ California in mind?

Nick G.
San Francisco, CA
nglase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 05:04 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
If it wasn't built for delivery in California in 1988, it probably does not have state mandated equipment from that time. But I'd check with DMV as to smog rules for that specific vehicle and year. The California rules for passenger cars, trucks, commercial vehicles, RV's etc. are all different, and they differ for each year of manufacture. Even if the MH does not meet requirements today, it may be exempt due to year manufactured, or you may be able to pay the additional "gross polluter" vehicle registration fee, which monetarily is not that bad.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 08:07 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Re: Cal Smog? 1988 Airstream 345

Quote:
Originally posted by nglase
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it might be to get an out-of-state Airstream motorhome (w/ a Chevy 454) to meet California smog standards?

Does anyone know if these were built w/ California in mind?

Nick G.
San Francisco, CA
Nick,

All you need to know is if the MH will pass the current CA standards for an 88 HD vehicle. An 88 Chevy 454 should have throttle body fuel injection and as long as it's in good shape should pass with no problems.

The absolute last thing you want is any vehicle that's classified as a "gross polluter". Once a vehicle is classified as such it remains so for the rest of it's life in CA and you have to jump through "hoops" every year to renew the registration. I would never buy anything that was required to meet CA smog from out of state unless I was certain it would pass. CA no longer charges you extra to register non-CA certified vehicles.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 04:22 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Smog

Hey Nick,
I got an Airstream form NM, and it was missing all the smog gear... needed an air pump and a bunch of gear, and cost me about three thousand to fix it all up. You also need to take it to a special smog center (there is one at City Coledge) to get a cert, as the local garage will not do it.

Good luck, Sebastian
Sebastian DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 07:34 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to MacInDaBox Send a message via Yahoo to MacInDaBox
Just passed smog test on my 1987 345 that I bought in Oregon. It was very close on the idle part of the test but it passed.

Exemptions are only for diesel and 30 year olds.