Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Blue Ox questions, help.

I was at the local RV dealer yesterday and he had a Blue Ox hitch for sale for $200. I don't know anything about these but it looked to be in good condition, it was in it's own cover and is intended to stay on the Toad (I think)

He says it's the hitch part and to pull my little Jeep Wrangler with the MH I'd only need the adapter plates that bolt onto the Jeep.

I've been thinking about getting a hitch to pull the Jeep, is this a good brand? Or should I pass on this "bargain" ??

Can any of you guys fill me in on what to check, what else I'll need ??? Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks
Don
Old 01-17-2004, 09:59 AM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Hard to tell if its a good deal or not. Blue OX is a pretty good name in hitches so it sounds like it must have been a used model?

Most of the toad mounted hitches are 200 - 300. If you want a super dooper RV mounted stowaway hitch you are in the 700 - 800 range.

IMHO - I would check out Camping World first to see if you can get a price for that hitch or a similar hitch first.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Check the competition.

Try the For Sale link here.

If it's an older style, you may well be forced to buy the Jeep Base Plates on the used market.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:22 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

I have a Blue Ox and am happy with it. Mine cost about what you are saying (200) with the shipping and at the time it was the best deal I could find.

I suggest you get the model number and call a local Blue Ox dealer or the factory ( who sent me a free owners manual) about availability and cost of a Jeep bar.

They are expensive to ship(50+) due to the weight and odd size box needed which is something of a plus for you to be able to make an offer to cash and carrythis unit....jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Do check on the mounting plates price, availability, and installation if you don't want to do it yourself, that could cost almost as much as the tow bar.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Can any of you guys fill me in on what to check, what else I'll need ???.......

Donnall:

I assume your Jeep is a 4X4, with a transfer case you can put in neutral. If you don't have a manual transmission (or transfer case), you'll need a pump for the transmission or a throw-out coupling on the drive shaft.

Also, practically every state requires a supplementary brake system for your toad. There are at least dozen manufacturers out there, and most run about a grand. There are pro's and con's for each system.

I went with the VIP TOW Brake for a variety of reasons.

The following link contains several articles of interest.

List of RV Brake and Safety Articles

I would also recommend a full time rear view camera. Several years ago a friend of mine was towing a small car behind a diesel pusher. The car ended up in a ditch along the Alaskan Highway, and my friend did not even know until 20 miles later when he stopped at a fuel station. Another RV'er stopped and told him that they had witnessed the toad's departure (front end problems).

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 01-21-2004, 04:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Blue Ox no good:(

Well while trying to find out about brackets for my Jeep the RV shop called the Blue Ox folks and they said "DO NOT USE THAT MODEL" ! I guess they've had major problems with that model.

Sorry I don't remember the exact model number.

Now I'm looking into a Stowe Master, they are on sale for $399 at CW

Don
Old 01-21-2004, 06:31 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
Re: Blue Ox no good:(

Quote:
Originally posted by donnall
the RV shop called the Blue Ox folks and they said "DO NOT USE THAT MODEL" ! I guess they've had major problems with that model.

Thats crazy . I would like to know what problems they had/have with the Blue OX tow bar. I own a Blue Ox bar nad so far no probs.As for the other story of the guy that lost his car an didn't even know it was gone . That is my bigest fear when I tow.Good luck
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Possible Explanation

I called the factory looking for base plates for the "old style" (pipe type with the hitch connection - not carried on the MH when not in use) Blue Ox. The person I talked to (sounded like a young kid) was very negative on my chances of finding the plates. He immediately offered me 10 cents on the dollar for a trade in on a new unit.

I got the distinct impression I was being husseled, and a pressure spiel about the new unit followed. I personnally think they are turning these trade-ins around as "rebuilt" units.

Just the impression I got from the one conversation.

That being said, I think my Blue Ox (nests onto the front of the toad), is a fine piece of equipment and much more than adequate for my 2400 lb. Saturn.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737