Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2003, 05:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Roseland , Florida
bed condensation

Hi all,
We are in a cold climate full timing in our 345 MH and finding that when we life the bed it is soaked underneath. No, it's not anything that a case of depends would fix, so we're not sure what to do. I skirted the outside perimeter and put a light under, we have heat on at all times and all windows are covered with plastic. Anything I missed? All suggestions appreciated.
Eric in No. Georgia
kooblekidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:01 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I would suggest that you get some additional air movement under there. It may require a opening or two to be cut into the base of the bed and covered by a metal vent grille. The other question is are you havving cold air leaking in from a compartment door that is allowing the under bed area to get that much colder? Other than running a heat outlet into the space in question I can't offer much more than to get some air movment.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 04:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Roseland , Florida
There is a compartment door that opens right under the bed. It's not airtight, I suppose that I could put plastic over that also. As far as a fan what would you think about placing an exhaust fan of some kind at the foot of the bed to pull air out from under it?
Eric
kooblekidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 05:53 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If the door is not airtight creating a negative pressure under the bed will just draw in more cold air. I would say a fan would work, but I would have some way for it to draw air thru the space with a way to pull air into the underbed space from inside the coach. Possibly a couple of small openings oppisite the the location of the fan to get a good draw thru the space?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 06:25 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Seal the compartment?

What about putting foam weatherstripping on the compartment door to seal the compartment and give the air under the bed a chance to warm up (create an area that isn't outside or interior temp but somewhere in between, think how a thermopane window works)? If you keep moving cold air over a warm object aren't you still going to be creating condensation? It would only cost a couple bucks to give it a try. Don't know if it'll work, only a suggestion.
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 06:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
The cold from the unheated compartment chills the plywood. The mattress does a great job of insulating the plywood from the warm air inside. The moisture inside that's also condensing on the cold windows goes right through the mattress to the cold plywood and condenses. So does the extra moisture from sleeping on it. To try to stop the moisture you'd have to have the whole mattress in an airtight plastic cover... not good for sleeping on.

You need to do two things. Insulate the plywood on the bottom to keep the cold compartment from chilling it. Staple foil bubble wrap to the bottom, glue foam insulation board, something like that. Both would have to be trimmed to not get between the plywood and bracing structures of the frame below.

You also need to get the mattress up off the plywood so moisture can escape and warm air can get to the top of the plywood. Fastening 60" long 1/2" X 1/2" wood strips spaced 1/2" apart all the way up the plywood is one way.

It's early, I haven't had coffee yet LOL! and I'm positive someone else will come up with some better ideas.
Old 01-16-2003, 06:42 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Pure addiction...

Wow Maurice, you have a true aluminum addiction going, you checked the A/S forums before getting your coffee?!! LOL
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Got a furnace vent near there you can run under the bed? If you seal the exterior door and run some warm air under it that will help.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote