Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Carmel , Indiana
Atlas Murphy bed Exchange Information

My first coach. I would love to find someone that will exchange ideas/operation and problems regarding a 2020 Atlas Coach. Please let me know. Airstream hasn't been much help...they are too busy.......
skweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

St George , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by skweaver View Post
My first coach. I would love to find someone that will exchange ideas/operation and problems regarding a 2020 Atlas Coach. Please let me know. Airstream hasn't been much help...they are too busy.......
I can't offer anything right now, since our 2021 Atlas is on order and not expected until at least November. But I hope that other Atlas owners will contribute to this thread and I certainly will follow it. When I get my Atlas I will contribute what I can. I am downsizing from Class As and have found that forums are a goldmine of information for owners. I hope to find the same community for Atlas owners.
AtlasKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
I have an 2019 Atlas. What are your concerns?
Old 10-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
We are supposed to pick ours up at the end of October - happy to share experiences and ideas as well!
WA_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:15 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Greensboro , North Carolina
We got our 2020 Atlas in May, and have made several trips. Two and 3 nights at a time to learn about it, and got back last week from a 10-day trip from home (Greensboro, NC) to New England. Everything was great. Will be glad to share any info I can. We're very happy so far with the choice - it's great to drive, just the right size for the two of us, and the setup/takedown is so easy.
Binther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Learning about the Atlas

Sorry for the long post, but trying to pass along some of the things I've learned:

When doing research before buying the Atlas (our first RV of any kind) I read of a few problems people had experienced, although there weren't many. There a few mentions of problems with steps not closing, and a couple about the stabilizer pads not extending or retracting. So I contacted Airstream and asked if I could get info about fixes before they might be needed so that I wouldn't get stuck someplace after hours. They replied quickly with this:

"Is there an issue with the double step.... WELL... I truely do not believe so. And I will explain and attach a guide showing what you can do "if" the need happens.

The step motor is protected by a shear roll pin designed to break if to much stress is placed on the step. Please understand this is my thoughts... when the step is opening up when you are inside, they are some times slower than we are moving. And "you" step on them before they are down all the way, the extra weight I think breaks the shear pin. And you guessed it, they do not go up.

Every call I have had, the steps to do go up... So the shear pin was "ok" lowering the step. And we can conclude the step shear pin broke on the way down.

Attached is a guide that helps show how to access the shear pin, and the last pages shows what pin can replace it.

Other items to have when traveling or "know" how to operate.
***Fuses - buy the variety pack fuses and have them on hand just in case. these are located in your panel by the lower right area of the TV.

***200 amp main battery fuse, attached what you might be able to order off Amazon. You can buy from other places also.

*** How to open and dump the black and grey tank valves. No one plans on having to do this... but stuff happens while traveling. Along with this find the Macerator pump manual screw and bring a straight / slotted screw driver. Load water in the tanks, and "act" like the valves are broke and manually them to learn how in your drive way."

Steps Fix:
Atlas project 2000 step guide.pdf

Extra Fuses to have on hand:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emergency midi fuses from Amazon 150 amp.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	380938

As for potential problems with the stabilizer legs, I have learned that they extend and retract by the use of a screw type of rod that is turned by an electric motor. In the event of a failure, I've read that a 5/8" socket can be used on the end, opposite the motor, with a ratchet to turn the rod.

I have not had these or any other problems, but just wanted to be prepared just in case.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

St George , Utah
Thanks for posting that information. My Atlas isn't expected until the end of the year, but gathering information from this forum is a great way to be prepared for it.

I've owned Class A motorhomes for years and am currently downsizing to the Atlas. But over the years I learned a great deal of valuable information from the relevant IRV2 forums - and I hope I contributed some useful information as well. I want to keep that up here.
AtlasKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 Atlas
Calabasas , California
I am the new owner of a 2021 Atlas and have had multiple issues with multiple systems and components. The dealership and Airstream's service departments both seem unable or unwilling to fix these issues and I just made a thread about it here asking for advice: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...ml#post2423647

I hope you have better luck than I have had so far!
Karol R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:01 AM   #9
wts
WTS

2021 Atlas
Winter Park , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binther View Post
Sorry for the long post, but trying to pass along some of the things I've learned:

When doing research before buying the Atlas (our first RV of any kind) I read of a few problems people had experienced, although there weren't many. There a few mentions of problems with steps not closing, and a couple about the stabilizer pads not extending or retracting. So I contacted Airstream and asked if I could get info about fixes before they might be needed so that I wouldn't get stuck someplace after hours. They replied quickly with this:

"Is there an issue with the double step.... WELL... I truely do not believe so. And I will explain and attach a guide showing what you can do "if" the need happens.

The step motor is protected by a shear roll pin designed to break if to much stress is placed on the step. Please understand this is my thoughts... when the step is opening up when you are inside, they are some times slower than we are moving. And "you" step on them before they are down all the way, the extra weight I think breaks the shear pin. And you guessed it, they do not go up.

Every call I have had, the steps to do go up... So the shear pin was "ok" lowering the step. And we can conclude the step shear pin broke on the way down.

Attached is a guide that helps show how to access the shear pin, and the last pages shows what pin can replace it.

Other items to have when traveling or "know" how to operate.
***Fuses - buy the variety pack fuses and have them on hand just in case. these are located in your panel by the lower right area of the TV.

***200 amp main battery fuse, attached what you might be able to order off Amazon. You can buy from other places also.

*** How to open and dump the black and grey tank valves. No one plans on having to do this... but stuff happens while traveling. Along with this find the Macerator pump manual screw and bring a straight / slotted screw driver. Load water in the tanks, and "act" like the valves are broke and manually them to learn how in your drive way."

Steps Fix:
Attachment 380937

Extra Fuses to have on hand:
Attachment 380938

As for potential problems with the stabilizer legs, I have learned that they extend and retract by the use of a screw type of rod that is turned by an electric motor. In the event of a failure, I've read that a 5/8" socket can be used on the end, opposite the motor, with a ratchet to turn the rod.

I have not had these or any other problems, but just wanted to be prepared just in case.
Our 2021 Atlas is coming soon and your post and instructions are in my OneNote for all things Atlas. Really appreciated.
wts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
I took delivery of our new Atlas at the end of August. We then departed on a 2 week Alberta to Quebec 8000km trip. The Atlas performed flawlessly.

Wifey and I had a great trip and are looking forward to next spring for our next trip.

I found this video and found it very helpful. Much more so that our dealer provided on delivery

https://youtu.be/4WmT_HjxUAg

My main annoyance was the stabilizer retraction causing an error message. once I viewed this video it turns out you need to press the retraction button a few times once retracted.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #11
On Airstream #5

2019 16' Sport
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
2021 Interstate 19
la canada , California
On the issue of the jacks I would push the button several times until I wouldn't hear them come up any longer but in that event one of them got stuck in the up position I later went to another campground put the stabilizer jacks down and noticed when I put the slide out the motorhome tilted I looked underneath to see that although the jacks showed down the driver's side did not lower. I went underneath and used a socket on the end and was able to break it free I went inside and turned the stabilizer jacks back on and pressed to lower and it came down and leveled. So what I do now so I don't have to crawl underneath in the mud to fix it I initially bring them up then hit the button and release quickly one more time I then start the vehicle. Every time I receive the warning message the stabilizer jacks are down I hit the button one or two more times and it clears. I do this so it won't get stuck again. I did notice when I was under there there is absolutely no lubricant on the screw jack so I'm guessing we shouldn't do that but there is less leverage when it's extended at the beginning of the motion than on the retraction.
danmiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:24 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Interesting to hear there's no lubricant on there - I've wondered about whether lubricating it is a maintenance thing to do.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binther View Post
Interesting to hear there's no lubricant on there - I've wondered about whether lubricating it is a maintenance thing to do.
Probably since it is exposed to road grime you would not want to add anything that remains sticky that would attract sand/grime.

perhaps a dry lubricant like graphite.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
We just picked up our 2021 Atlas last weekend in the Seattle area and drove it back to Spokane. There were two major items that were identified by the dealer prior to delivery -

1. The closet door was warped - this will be replaced.

2. The screen needed to be replaced on the kitchen window - this will also be taken care of.

We have the Li system (Battleborn batteries) and will spend some more time understanding the electrical system over the Thanksgiving week.

It drove really well and is easy to drive at highway speeds. I will send another note as we continue to work through understanding the various systems over the next couple of weeks.
WA_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:14 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
2021 Atlas
Nashville , Tennessee
Closing in on buying

We're first timers and. love the Atlas concept for size, drive-ability, King bed and Dry Bath. We have been searching for a head to head review or video review of Atlas vs. LTV Unity, but have been unsuccessful so far. Anyone know how they compare, pluses, minuses, etc, or know of a decent review of the two side by side?
Thanks,
Steve
SteveNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
FOOTHILLS , AB
Welcome,

There is a Facebook group for the Atlas that is much more active.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8767...vity&ref=notif
Old 05-23-2021, 04:46 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
​2020 Atlas​
Phoenix , Arizona
We have a 2020 Airstream Atlas bought over a year ago but we had not driven at all in 2020 due to the COVID pandemic.

As we prepared for our cross country trip in April, our fridge kept blowing the 15 amp fuse. This was checked by Airstream service and it was not a known reverse wiring issue. It was the fridge itself that was defective. We were told there is no quick replacement for the Atlas fridges as they buy only so many from Canada for their production line.

I am surprised for such a luxury RV, that Airstream does not stock replacement fridges - they can’t be that expensive. Having stock in hand is the minimum expectation if you have paid over $200,000 for your RV.

So we began our trip in our beautiful brand new Atlas with no working fridge, relying on a cooler. Think about it....we are still in a pandemic and we wanted to be safe and avoid restaurants and crowds so the fridge in an RV is essential especially in these times.

Has anyone else had a problem with getting timely service for their newly purchased Airstream RV van?

It is a nice drive and I do love it…except for the annoying “no working fridge” problem and other headaches.

Please chime in the comments.
Robkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:45 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
​2020 Atlas​
Phoenix , Arizona
Atlas fridge

So…after 5 months, my expensive 2020 Atlas finally has a working fridge. I no longer have to travel with coolers which my family thought was ridiculous considering the high cost of this luxury RV.
Robkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:39 AM   #19

​201​9 Atlas​
BATON ROUGE , LA
Atlas Bedding Replacement

Hi,

We just bought a 2019 Atlas and due to covid, none of the bedding/pillows came with it. I checked with the parts dept at the dealership to see if they could reorder but was told that they don't make the 2019 bedding package anymore. I checked airstream supply company and they only have sheets. Any idea where I can find the duvet cover (because it looks like it fits the bed so nicely)?
Thanks,
Trance
trance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:04 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Although the year models have changed, the bed dimensions haven't, so I'm guessing that if you order for the current year you'll be fine.

Also - you might want to checkout the Facebook private group for Atlas owners. No vendors are allowed, and it's a great place to get answers to tons of questions.