Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 24' Argosy 24
seattle , Washington
Argosy MH floor redo!! Help!!

Hey ya'll. Been a while away from the site, but back with a passion!! Currently working on replacing the floor in my 77 Argosy 24' mh. Looking at my past posts, (search snowy23), you will know I bought a 77 shuttle bus that was revamped into a mh. (I found that out after the fact). Anyway, I started tearing into the bed area and found rotted flooring and the more I saw, the more I tore out!! Now the whole insides are out with the exception of the refrigerator/microwave cabinet. I'm about to replace all the flooring after I treat the floor support framing with por 15 among other stuff. My question is will removing the screws that run along the c channel down into the plywood sacrifice any integrity in the frame or body structure? I feel like cutting them off will definitely make the plywood easier to install without having to do much cutting. Just don't want to cut the screws if it means weakening the overall body structure.
Thanks for any heeeelllpppp! (didn't get any responses in the argosy forum).
snowy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy23 View Post
My question is will removing the screws that run along the c channel down into the plywood sacrifice any integrity in the frame or body structure? I feel like cutting them off will definitely make the plywood easier to install without having to do much cutting. Just don't want to cut the screws if it means weakening the overall body structure.
My take on the subject is you can probably cut the screws but you WILL need to replace them. Those screws are what hold the shell to the truck chassis. (assuming we're talking the same screws!).

From your description it sounds like you've pulled off the lower section of inner skin. The trick will be replacing the screws/bolts once you put the floor in place. You will have to have someone working from underneath while you work inside replacing the fasteners.

Hope this helps.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Hello snowy23

How is Your project going ?

Or are you done.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
How did it go replacing the screws in the floor on your Argosy? We have a 1977 28' we are working on and have the same problem. A lot of the plywood subfloor is in pretty good shape but the heads of the screws holding down the plywood are rusted off. We are trying to decide if we need to drill them all out and replace them before putting down new flooring. Also do you have any suggestions for splicing in new plywood if we don't need to replace entire sheets?

Thanks!

Thadster

1977 Argosy 28
The Hungry Hippo
Thadster is offline   Reply With Quote