Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2002, 04:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

“Appliance selector switch”

So my new 1985 325 came to my home last night. Some things better than I expected some things worse, but all in all I am pleased, no down right excited.

Now the questions will come.

According to my manual as well as the nomenclature written on the “Appliance selector switch” when running the generator, power is automatically fed to the rear air, and the selector switch may be set on any one of the other appliances. This is not happening. With the generator running, I can select any appliance, and it will run, including the rear air. But the rear air will not run unless I select it. This is even the case when I am on shore power AND with the generator running.

Any tips out there as to where to start looking. Do I have a bad relay somewhere? It is hot down here and I sure would like to run two airs.

Scott
TRAPEZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 07:42 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Scott,

It sounds like a wiring change was made.?? Is the Generator the one installed by Airstream? I think in 85 they were using a Kohler model. Have you checked your breaker panels? You may just have one in the off position. The breaker that feeds the rear roof air may not be in the main panel with everything else.

I am sure another 325 owner will pipe up. I am sure we can help you to figure it out.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 09:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Brett G

Could be a change in wiring. The AC was renewed two years ago. The generator is a 7kw Kohler that runs strong. It should run the two air’s with little trouble. I will re-check the breakers in the morning. Thank you

Scott
Old 07-27-2002, 07:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Congratuations on your new 1985 325. The fun really begins now.

Part of your new adventure should include going through the coach circuit by circuit. Don't stop with the investigation of the generator problem. Many previous owners when they get to the end of their ownership of a trailer or coach, start doing repairs in a slipshod manner. Be especially mindful of anything that does not look right to you.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 04:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

It is not the breakers, I tried them this morning.

I have a little history. A friend of mine and his wife picked this motor home up for us and drove it home. In the initial inspection, he viewed both air’s working when plugged into shore power as well as the generator running.

This tells me it is not a rewiring issue. Something happened on the trip home. There must be a relay that isolates the rear air when the generator comes on. Where is it? Am I on the right track?

Scott
Old 07-27-2002, 10:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Off Topic

Scott,

Congrats on the 325 purchase. This is a little off topic.....I'd love some pictures of your 325 for my archives. I only have an exterior photo of a 85 325.

Since your in Florida, we'd love to have you join us at the April 2003 motor home rally. Everyone there last year had a great time.

Even though I have a 1985 345, I'm the web guy. My lack of mechanical skills are legendary in the forum. My big accomplishment is changing the plug wires without blowing up the engine! Don't bring up the hose reel!

P.S. I would have sent you a private message but you don't have a 'PM' button on your posts.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 08:33 AM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Scott,

You are probly on the right track regarding a relay, but where it is I do not know. If you do not have a service manual, I would suggest getting one as the cost of the manual will save you lots O bucks as you take care of the inevitable problems that come with a classic motorhome. Here is a link to the info:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...=&threadid=695

BTW the Mystic Springs rally was a blast last year, if you can attend it would be great!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 05:32 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Smile

I got it!!!
It was a relay in the back curbside of the coach. It just needed a little coaxing and it works fine.
Thank you all for your encouragement. Now on too…..

Scott