Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
An Airstream Motorhomer Would Never Do This.....Would They?

Need a laugh?

Watch this to the end. That's the best part.....

Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Wasn't me!

Are thinking of upgrading to a MOTORHOME FLY?

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

On the Road , Michigan
I still can't get over the fact that the gentleman filming was driving what looked like a large vehicle, taking pictures, giving a running commentary and and at one point dialing and then talking on the phone... But leaving the truck in park, that's something I could see myself doing.... Thanks for the laugh!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazie_eddie View Post
But leaving the truck in park, that's something I could see myself doing...
I'm about to install baseplates on my new Honda Fit so I can tow it behind my Interstate (well, probably this time next month). This video was very timely for me, as it highlights the reasons why one should read the instructions FIRST. And why I should always tow with the rear-view camera ON.

With that in mind, I got out the Honda Fit owner's manual and copied pages 158 and 159 where it tells how to prepare the automatic transmission for towing. I laminated that copy, and now I carry it in the driver's visor pocket where it's handy for when I need a refresher.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Rocket Man Ken

2001 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/slide
Brookville , Ohio
This is why TPMS is actually so cheap. I swear by mine. Have had one for years on pickup / TT. Bought another full system 2 weeks after I became proud owner of my 2001 LY XL390. I am insurance adjuster and have paid for repair where tire has beaten the floor out of a bathroom on MH and TT's. www.tirepressuremonitor.com This just happens to be system that I have 2 of now. Screw on to valve stems, simple programing. It is so simple. I push the button to check each tire before I hit the road instead of the walk around. Works on coach and towed vehicle. I have towed campers, racecars ect for 25+ years, never had a problem. $500 sounds like a lot, until you are sitting on side of interstate changing a tire. 3 days later I had my first system. That was 8/2006. Wife said sounds expensive. Tire $105. Luckily I had no damage. Insurance deductible $500. System just keeps getting cheaper.

FYI. Object flipped up off road, cut valve stem, lost tire, 25 miles after checking pressures and starting that days travel.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
I also keep a copy of the instructions in the glove box of the toad.

With the Sony bu camera you can monitor most of what is happening back there, but it is always good to make a visual walk-around inspection at first opportunity after first hooking up and getting underway.

The mistake that I suspect most people make is leaving the hand brake on.

On my Tracker I use a strip of white lint roller (easy to remove later) wrapped around the top of the steering wheel to monitor its movement with the camera. Backing up a toad is a no-no but I can back up my Tracker, watching until the steering wheel reacts beyond normal. If you back beyond this point you will damage your tow bar.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I laminated that copy, and now I carry it in the driver's visor pocket where it's handy for when I need a refresher.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
On my Tracker I use a strip of white lint roller (easy to remove later) wrapped around the top of the steering wheel to monitor its movement with the camera.
Another good idea I can stea— borrow. Except I think I'll use colored Velcro cable ties that I picked up a while back at Home Depot. I think there's a white or yellow one in the packet that should do the trick.

I can't recall the last time I even saw a lint roller, let alone used one.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
$ store for lint roller and refills.

Dave

Quote:
Another good idea I can stea— borrow. Except I think I'll use colored Velcro cable ties that I picked up a while back at Home Depot. I think there's a white or yellow one in the packet that should do the trick.

I can't recall the last time I even saw a lint roller, let alone used one.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
I'm about to install baseplates on my new Honda Fit so I can tow it behind my Interstate (well, probably this time next month). This video was very timely for me, as it highlights the reasons why one should read the instructions FIRST. And why I should always tow with the rear-view camera ON.

With that in mind, I got out the Honda Fit owner's manual and copied pages 158 and 159 where it tells how to prepare the automatic transmission for towing. I laminated that copy, and now I carry it in the driver's visor pocket where it's handy for when I need a refresher.
Camera only sees the vehicle not the wheels, better than the mirror as it only see the Fit antenna. Marking the steering wheel will only show if the wheels are locked up, I can watch the passenger mirror on a right turn and see the wheels turning and following the track. Hand brake, neutral, key on accessory and all cables connected, if interrupted by anybody repeat checklist. Fit will not remote lock with key(cut key without electronic code) in ignition have to use driving key in door lock.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:37 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Camera only sees the vehicle not the wheels, better than the mirror as it only see the Fit antenna.
Most importantly, the Honda Fit is narrower than my Airstream Interstate, so the Fit will probably be invisible in the side mirrors unless I'm turning. The camera will let me make sure I'm not about to sideswipe anything with the toad when doing a lane change.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Wasn't me!

Are thinking of upgrading to a MOTORHOME FLY?

Dave
Nope.

I just like lookin'....
Old 12-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
My dad did the same thing with the instructions for using the driveshaft disconnect. The instructions were pretty specific so he made sure he always did it right each time

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote