Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Julian , Pennsylvania
AI cabinets don't open fully

My tall husband often bumps or scrapes his head on open cabinet doors. We'd like to get the doors to open up further (maybe to the ceiling) so they don't stick out or hang down into the walkway but are still held in the open position. Has anyone else had this problem and found a good solution? Are there hinges that would allow the doors to open higher? I do try to remember to close the doors when I'm done, but sometimes I forget or he comes by unexpectedly.
Kjsrbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
LOL !!! I have the same problem. I have told my better half that if she leaves one of them open again, I’m going to take my screw gun a fix the problem for good.....but I like your idea, I’ll look for different hardware that will allow the doors to go all the way up. But she is short, and will have a problem reaching them to close them. I guess I could install some linear actuators but that be overkill.....we’ll see, Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Julian , Pennsylvania
Best Solution I can Find

Kathy found a site online (https://www.outwater.com/products/lfthn-110/) that sells hinges like came in our Interstate. I attached a photo so you can see what we now have. I do not know if newer models are using the same hinge. Following a link (click here to view in catalog) on that site got me a Blum catalog pdf. It did not open to the page with that hinge and I did not find the current hinge in that catalog. I then accessed the Blum 2020 catalog (https://publications.blum.com/2020/catalogue/en/72/) to be sure I had the latest models. The best fit to our cabinets I could find is their AVENTOS HK-S (20K2C00). It opens to any desired angle from 75 to 107 deg. The -S is for small doors. There are different models for different size and weight doors (lift factors). The above model should work on our doors. It is soft closing and can apparently be adjusted to stay put at various positions less than full open. My thinking is that the soft closing means it will have resistance to opening by shifting contents inside the cabinet. If not adequate, they do have push to open type latches that might work. The hinges come in pairs (two hinges per door) and the brackets for the doors are sold separately. There are videos online showing how they are installed. My main issue is the price. The best I could find is $33 plus ~$2 for the brackets (175H3100) and ~$15 for shipping. The best seemed to be Indian River Cabinet Supply (ircabinetsupply.com). Another complicating factor are the curved cabinet doors. The hinges are expecting a flat vertical door surface. I think one might need to build out the hinge attachment sites on the doors so the hinge has its expected door attachment location. If anyone finds something else or tries these I would be interested in hearing. Do the latest model Interstates have the same hinges as ours?
Best regards, Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CurrentHinge.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	378178   Click image for larger version

Name:	AVENTOS HK-S..JPG
Views:	48
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	378179  

Kjsrbs is offline   Reply With Quote