Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #21
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ok great news but you’re at that famous moment

You’ve got to find the green crusties!

That solenoid wire that is not conducting correctly has high resistance or an open somewhere that is not telling the solenoid to energize.

Time to consider isolating the diagnostics on that one wire. Inspect all connections, look for green crusties, feel wire for hard non flexible areas chase it back all the way to the ign switch if you can. Your test light AKA the “scope on a rope” is a valuable tool. I have one. But it might be time to invest in a digital meter and don’t make the mistake I made in not getting the model with clamp on DC AMPS. It would be a handy tool fir starting, charging diagnostic work.

Don’t stop now. Congrats on getting somewhere but find the bad wire! That’s you’re mission.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345 MoHo View Post
[UPDATE ON 345 STARTER]@Waipo Rim -- it was your experience hard wiring a switch to your starter that first inspired me to this being a potential solution.

Keep your tools handy. I had to redo the push button switch wire a couple of times, it kept burning off at the starter. Final solution for me (actually for Stokes Garage in Wilmington, DE, bless their hearts) turned out to be a relay accessed by removing the air cleaner. It was in front of the carburetor on the left side.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:54 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey.
Two thoughts on your starter is it possible you got 24 volts going to the starter that ll burn it up
When your starter did work did it feel like it was laboring to turn. Grinding or rolling over slowly you must have a ground to the frame it ll be on the driver's side back of the engine by the oil sending unit looks like a woven strap
Also your battery box needs a ground to the frame. Otherwise your batteries will ground through the rollers on the slide out battery drawer . To burn out a starter is easy to do if your cranking it a long time if your fuel pump is working and you got an electric pump back by the tank she should fire up in a minute tha tdd s my 2 cents hope it helps. Dj
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote