Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2020, 12:38 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Longview , Washington
We noted on the walk through that the awning didn't extend. The foot of the awning was too thick and wouldn't let the awning go out without prying it to get it going and would not go in all the way without a hard whack.

It was put on the list of things to do later. Once we got it home and hubby took a look at it... he found that the legs of the awning were reversed. Once he got them switched around, the "foot" of the awning could flip inside the track. That solved the problem.

Our dealer was not dishonest... they just didn't have working knowledge of a power awning or a macerator. If I told you that they showed us how to empty the black tank... by taking a plastic "kinky" funnel (oil funnel) and put the funnel over the end of the macerator (macerator motor) and that we just needed to connect a chopped off regular hose to the end of the funnel and "pull the cap" off the end of the macerator..... The rig wasn't hooked to a sewer this was a "in theory" walk through, I guess. And I do wish now I had a video of this.

We had them pull it over to the work bay and show us the macerator worked. It did not work.

The floor in the Avenue has a drain in the aisle that had been taped over. I guess the previous owner had not showered in it. But the drain was just a finger hole. It wasn't a drain at all. Hubby convinced them to tug on the plate running across the floor that had the finger hole in it. Took two big guys but it came loose... to expose a trough under that plate and a real drain in the trough. That trough was filthy dirty. My guess is that the previous owner never knew that plate was meant to be removed. I bet they had water all the way to the front seats when they showered in that rig.

Enough for tonight.
Kathy Asch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:09 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
See my replies in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Asch View Post
The water pump issue has to be an air lock issue... not? Hubby would be taking things apart trying to find the problem.. and I would be unscrewing the fresh water fill cap to let air into the fresh water tank.

The fresh water fill has a small air vent with a screen just beside the fill cap. This is what vents my tank and allows water to overflow if I overfill the tank. This should prevent an air lock or having to remove the cap. I think my problem is somethig else, and if you saw how difficult it is to reach the tube that draws from the top of the fresh water tank, you'd understand why I haven't tried to tackle it yet.

I'm still learning... Hubby is still learning. I think the day we stop is the day we stop doing. I've glad the Avenue isn't our first rodeo with a rig. We are still young enough to enjoy a challenge but we've gotten old enough that physically it's not an easy challenge... Takes the two of us but we work together on it and get it done.

So true. Always nice to have an extra set of hands and eyes. It was also nice to have a son-in-law who is 6'3" (I'm 6'2") when lifting the new Coleman Mach 8 Plus a/c onto the roof when I had to replace my old unit. At least is has a true low speed making it quieter than the old unit whose fan speeds were "High" and "Higher".

I don't see my photo of the water filter on this thread yet... I tried PM'ing you with it and I tried posting a picture directly and I've tried putting a link to the photo I've posted online into the thread and into the PM I sent you. NOPE.. no go. I'm too new and they don't trust new members to post links and photo's. I get it. I understand and in this online world... they are being prudent.

Don't worry about the pic for my sake. I was just curious. You can try sending a PM to Janet H or one of the other moderators if you don't get picture privileges soon.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:13 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
The floor in the Avenue has a drain in the aisle that had been taped over. I guess the previous owner had not showered in it. But the drain was just a finger hole. It wasn't a drain at all. Hubby convinced them to tug on the plate running across the floor that had the finger hole in it. Took two big guys but it came loose... to expose a trough under that plate and a real drain in the trough. That trough was filthy dirty. My guess is that the previous owner never knew that plate was meant to be removed. I bet they had water all the way to the front seats when they showered in that rig.

Enough for tonight.

Seems the previous owner might never have used the shower. A lot of junk and dirt accumulated under the drain cover. Yuck!
Old 04-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Longview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Seems the previous owner might never have used the shower. A lot of junk and dirt accumulated under the drain cover. Yuck!

I think the dirt in the trough has just sifted in through the finger hole and around the trough cover. It's not air tight. It's just dirt from the foot traffic... after all, that trough is in the middle of the aisle.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:57 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Longview , Washington
Can we switch to electrical stuff....

Rowie Bowie, can you tell me where the battery cut off switch is in the Avenue? All the manual says is that it's in the lounge area.

Also, do you know where the ground fault outlets are? The fridge was working fine yesterday but today the rig is acting like a ground fault tripped and the inverter is flashing ... so hubby has dived into the manuals... and I've turned to this forum.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:16 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Longview , Washington
cut off switch - come out come out wherever you are

Quote:
Rowie Bowie, can you tell me where the battery cut off switch is in the Avenue? All the manual says is that it's in the lounge area.

Also, do you know where the ground fault outlets are? The fridge was working fine yesterday but today the rig is acting like a ground fault tripped and the inverter is flashing ... so hubby has dived into the manuals... and I've turned to this forum.

The battery cutoff switch was in the lounge... behind the panel of the controls under the lounge couch/bed.

After searching high and low we had given up. I happened to be standing outside the rig looking toward the lounge and the panel door was on the floor. There is no way we would have seen it even kneeling down facing it. You'd have to be on your knees and then twist your neck down and then look up to see it. Honestly that's not done without a lot of effort at this stage in life.

The ground fault issue was traced to the ground fault breaker... easy fix. Just go online and get it next day from Amazon prime. Nope.

Those days are over. It's not a priority item for next day delivery.

Home Depot... we could get there before the store closed but not sure how long the line is to get inside... only 1 person allowed per 1,000 sq ft... so store might close before we could get inside the store.

Do we even want to risk the trip to Home Depot... maybe not.

These are new times we live in.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:06 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
My response in bold below.

[QUOTE=Kathy Asch;2347810]Rowie Bowie, can you tell me where the battery cut off switch is in the Avenue? All the manual says is that it's in the lounge area.

My model is different than yours, but in mine and almost every rv, the battery cut off is near the power center (breaker/fuse panel). And all battery cut offs I've seen are a large red knob that should be obvious. However, Airstream likes to hide all controls behing a panel. In my model, the panel is near the floor just in front of the rear lounge on the driver's side. I believe this is where your toilet is, so perhaps in front of that?

First of all, the compressor fridge should work directly from the batteries in 12v mode (unless the battery disconnect is off). When plugged in, the fridge is automatically powered by 110v. To my knowledge, no breaker position should affect it's operation. The 12v fuse on Circuit #8 (on my panel) controls the fridge and awning. Could you have blown this fuse when troubleshooting your awning problem? If fuse is blown, it should be obvious by a red light that indicates when there is blown fuse on any given circuit.

If you have the original Tripplite Inverter/Charger, there are a couple of reset buttons on it. You should try pushing them in. When reset, the buttons should feel kind of loose.

Next, in breaker box, switch all breakers fully off, then back on. Sometimes they can trip, yet it's not obvious by sight becauses the lever doesn't go into the full off position making them appear as they are on. One fuse should be your ground fault circuit as indicated by a white "TEST" button on it.

/QUOTE]
Old 04-05-2020, 10:10 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
The battery cutoff switch was in the lounge... behind the panel of the controls under the lounge couch/bed.

After searching high and low we had given up. I happened to be standing outside the rig looking toward the lounge and the panel door was on the floor. There is no way we would have seen it even kneeling down facing it. You'd have to be on your knees and then twist your neck down and then look up to see it. Honestly that's not done without a lot of effort at this stage in life.

The ground fault issue was traced to the ground fault breaker... easy fix. Just go online and get it next day from Amazon prime. Nope.

Those days are over. It's not a priority item for next day delivery.

Home Depot... we could get there before the store closed but not sure how long the line is to get inside... only 1 person allowed per 1,000 sq ft... so store might close before we could get inside the store.

Do we even want to risk the trip to Home Depot... maybe not.

These are new times we live in.

Didn't read your follow post until I responed to your original.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:23 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Longview , Washington
I understand how that happens

Quote:
Didn't read your follow post until I responed to your original.

I'm just grateful that you are answering at all. So twice is even better.

There's a big lag in the time you post and when i get an email saying there's a been a new post on this thread. I do check at least once a day to see what's new but the selling of the house, the auction of the stuff and the moving to the senior housing apt is taking up a lot of time and energy.

Hubby found a breaker that fit and ordered the "right one" from Amazon but it will be almost a week before that breaker gets here. It's not a high priority for them or us so even with Prime, it's gonna be a few days.

Can't believe what it took to find the battery disconnect switch.

Getting back to what you posted awhile ago... Airstream put a macerator between your toilet and the black tank and then put another macerator on the outlet of the black tank?? They are innovative.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:42 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Getting back to what you posted awhile ago... Airstream put a macerator between your toilet and the black tank and then put another macerator on the outlet of the black tank?? They are innovative.
Yep. I guess when Airstream changed designs to the Suite layout, it was easier to install a "marine" type macerator toilet than it was to move the black tank underneath the new toilet location. Not knowing any other kind in an rv, the toilet works fine, but will be twice the cost if it should ever need to be replaced.

Ps- Do you have the Airstream Owner's manual and parts manual? I found .pdf versions. They contain info on all Avenue models so some info is specific to just my Suite, while some is specific to your Lounge. So you have to make sure which one you're looking at. They have plumbing and other diagrams I have found helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Avenue Owners Manual 2012.pdf (852.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf Avenue Parts Book 2012.pdf (1.33 MB, 18 views)
Old 04-07-2020, 12:37 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Longview , Washington
I did dowload those but thank you, again.

Quote:
Yep. I guess when Airstream changed designs to the Suite layout, it was easier to install a "marine" type macerator toilet than it was to move the black tank underneath the new toilet location. Not knowing any other kind in an rv, the toilet works fine, but will be twice the cost if it should ever need to be replaced.

Ps- Do you have the Airstream Owner's manual and parts manual? I found .pdf versions. They contain info on all Avenue models so some info is specific to just my Suite, while some is specific to your Lounge. So you have to make sure which one you're looking at. They have plumbing and other diagrams I have found helpful.

I did download those already. Probably because you had those links posted in the thread and I found them. I am used to the Winnebago manuals and found the Airstream manuals a little lacking in needed details...

So what is the history behind Airstream Coaches? I have to admit that when we found our Airstream Avenue listed on the internet I simply connected the word "Airstream" to tons of experience and did not do any homework on whether they had good reviews. Was the Avenue their first stab at building an Airstream coach?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:17 AM   #52
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Was the Avenue their first stab at building an Airstream coach?
Their second stab at a Class B. Their first was the Airstream B-190.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Actually the Avenue was Airstreams third attempt. They built on the MercedesFreightliner/Dodge Sprinter starting in '2006 I believe.

The Avenue was ahead of it's time in some ways, pioneering compressor fridges, solar option, macerators. But regardless of how much I like the Chevy Express chassis, their days were already numbered due to the roomier tall vans led by a revised Sprinter model in 2010. Bottom line, the Avenues must not have sold well.

However, the Avenue's size and stealthiness is perfect for us. Not a peep from my neighbors or Homeowner's Association in over 2 years. Of course, the first thing I did was remove three sets of gaudy 2" high AIRSTREAM lettering on the sides & rear of the van.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0121.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	278.9 KB
ID:	365111  
Old 04-07-2020, 11:24 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Longview , Washington
I agree.. I like the look of it.

Quote:
Actually the Avenue was Airstreams third attempt. They built on the MercedesFreightliner/Dodge Sprinter starting in '2006 I believe.

The Avenue was ahead of it's time in some ways, pioneering compressor fridges, solar option, macerators. But regardless of how much I like the Chevy Express chassis, their days were already numbered due to the roomier tall vans led by a revised Sprinter model in 2010. Bottom line, the Avenues must not have sold well.

However, the Avenue's size and stealthiness is perfect for us. Not a peep from my neighbors or Homeowner's Association in over 2 years. Of course, the first thing I did was remove three sets of gaudy 2" high AIRSTREAM lettering on the sides & rear of the van.

I agree with you on the look of it as being just a vehicle rather than an "RV". We're moving into senior housing and basically we need to get down to one vehicle due to the limited parking. We don't want to stand out any more than a van would but we really want a potty and place to stretch out if we need to. The shape of this is fitting the bill nicely.

Hope to get a little more history from ya'all on Airstream's venture into the B's. There was probably a lot of information written in articles and blogs over the years... we just missed all of that when it was happening.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:27 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Longview , Washington
What has it been like to own your coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Their second stab at a Class B. Their first was the Airstream B-190.

I see you have an 2012 Interstate Coach... what's it been like to own that coach?
Old 04-07-2020, 11:29 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I found this interesting old video from Airstream where they show a solar panel install on an Avenue. It shows the unfinished interior of an Avenue and then the solar install on an almost finished one. An interesting "look behind the scenes". It appears the solar pre-wire might be on every van, a good thing if you decide to install a panel.

Since the original 20W panel (like mine) will barely trickle charge the batteries, I bought a 50W Renogy flex panel that is only an inch or two larger, yet 2.5 times the power. It will easily fit on the roof in the area where the old panel sits.

The Avenue owner on another forum installed 2-100W rigid solar panels over the rear a/c. But to mount there, you'd have to be careful and not cover the a/c fan, which exhausts through the top. He says he's had no problems.

Old 04-08-2020, 06:09 AM   #57
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I see you have an 2012 Interstate Coach... what's it been like to own that coach?
About the same as it has been for anyone to own an Airstream, I guess. I never really thought of it as anything special, just as the means to enjoy my chosen retirement hobby, RV camping. And in all honesty, as my two beloved cats gradually shred the upholstery— and as I defer maintenance on certain nonessential items in order to cover other unexpected expenses related to health issues— it's looking kind of tattered and is probably showing its age faster than many other Interstates.

When people ask what it's like to camp in one, I tell them, it's comfortable for one, cozy for two, cramped for three. Which is pretty accurate, I think.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:21 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Longview , Washington
You gotta LIKE being together if you camp in a B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
About the same as it has been for anyone to own an Airstream, I guess. I never really thought of it as anything special, just as the means to enjoy my chosen retirement hobby, RV camping. And in all honesty, as my two beloved cats gradually shred the upholstery— and as I defer maintenance on certain nonessential items in order to cover other unexpected expenses related to health issues— it's looking kind of tattered and is probably showing its age faster than many other Interstates.

When people ask what it's like to camp in one, I tell them, it's comfortable for one, cozy for two, cramped for three. Which is pretty accurate, I think.

I hear you loud and clear. We know how to call out dibs as we do our routines in the close confines of a small space. We learned a lesson on how much space is needed to put our shoes on when we got dressed the first morning owning our truck camper. I kid you not... I remember we were in a hurry and had our backs to one another... just happened that we both bent over to get our shoes on and one of us was launched head first toward the door. I do mean launched. Gotta be a physic's lesson or something like that to be learned. We didn't repeat it.

I've never traveled with a cat but Lou's uncle took a camper van to Alaska with his two cats. They seemed to like it quite a bit. He kept a 10 ft leash on them at all times just in case they squirmed in behind something he would be able to see the leash and reel them in.

We've traveled with our dogs when we still had them. Lots of great stories and memories. Pets make traveling more enjoyable or memorable... hopefully both.

Sorry to read the part where you have to choose between stuff and med's/health needs. We've been blessed and have not had to face making that choice. May you be as blessed as well in the future.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:02 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Longview , Washington
Thanks for the links to those instructional videos

Quote:
I found this interesting old video from Airstream where they show a solar panel install on an Avenue. It shows the unfinished interior of an Avenue and then the solar install on an almost finished one. An interesting "look behind the scenes". It appears the solar pre-wire might be on every van, a good thing if you decide to install a panel.

Since the original 20W panel (like mine) will barely trickle charge the batteries, I bought a 50W Renogy flex panel that is only an inch or two larger, yet 2.5 times the power. It will easily fit on the roof in the area where the old panel sits.

The Avenue owner on another forum installed 2-100W rigid solar panels over the rear a/c. But to mount there, you'd have to be careful and not cover the a/c fan, which exhausts through the top. He says he's had no problems.

That was well worth the time to look at. Thanks for posting that link... We both watched it and I've sent that onto hubby for him to browse through all the others.

They wouldn't happen to have a mod on putting in a sink in that wet bath area, would they? Probably not but I thought I'd ask anyway...

We've got a ways to go before we know all there is about what's installed and where the wires are strung.

I noticed on the video that when he pulled the fridge the camera angle wasn't quite right to catch the glimpse of the water filter behind the fridge.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:07 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
That was well worth the time to look at. Thanks for posting that link... We both watched it and I've sent that onto hubby for him to browse through all the others.

They wouldn't happen to have a mod on putting in a sink in that wet bath area, would they? Probably not but I thought I'd ask anyway...

We've got a ways to go before we know all there is about what's installed and where the wires are strung.

I noticed on the video that when he pulled the fridge the camera angle wasn't quite right to catch the glimpse of the water filter behind the fridge.
The video quality and lighting was very poor, but rarely (especially on a rare model) do you find a video showing your model rv while it's being built.

The ease of which the fridge can be removed surprised me. It's one of the few appliances I've not removed at some point on mine. It seems like it easily removes with just four screws, much like the microwave.

The fridge in my Suite sits on the opposite side and blocks access to the rear of the power distribution panel (breakers & fuses). As a result, I've crudely run some small wiring I've added into the front of the fuse panel instead of from behind, due to this lack of access.

I think I'll now pull the fidge and run these wires properly into the panel from behind.