Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2020, 12:08 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Longview , Washington
Something is not right with the ground fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
The video quality and lighting was very poor, but rarely (especially on a rare model) do you find a video showing your model rv while it's being built.

The ease of which the fridge can be removed surprised me. It's one of the few appliances I've not removed at some point on mine. It seems like it easily removes with just four screws, much like the microwave.

The fridge in my Suite sits on the opposite side and blocks access to the rear of the power distribution panel (breakers & fuses). As a result, I've crudely run some small wiring I've added into the front of the fuse panel instead of from behind, due to this lack of access.

I think I'll now pull the fidge and run these wires properly into the panel from behind.

While you have your mind on something electrical... I'll just bring you up to date on our little ground fault issue.

Hubby put an outlet into the "under the counter" area for the Tyent Ionizer and he realized that the fridge wasn't working... or if it was working it was working on DC. So he removed the ground fault breaker and put in one that didn't have a ground fault and lo and behold the fridge worked on AC.

(We looked up what was on that circuit with the fridge and outside outlets weren't working either. The ground fault wouldn't reset. The ground fault breaker had done it's thing but it wouldn't reset because it was broke.)

So bought a new breaker with a ground fault and when we put it in... but it wouldn't work. So we don't know where the ground fault problem is just yet. We put the non-ground fault breaker back in so the fridge would work and that's where we set right now.

This is going to take a little more time and a little more effort to figure out. Got any suggestions on anything?

(Hubby has all the testers and knowledge in the world. Just hard to pull it out of the back of his head every now and again.)
Kathy Asch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Asch View Post
While you have your mind on something electrical... I'll just bring you up to date on our little ground fault issue.

Hubby put an outlet into the "under the counter" area for the Tyent Ionizer and he realized that the fridge wasn't working... or if it was working it was working on DC. So he removed the ground fault breaker and put in one that didn't have a ground fault and lo and behold the fridge worked on AC.

(We looked up what was on that circuit with the fridge and outside outlets weren't working either. The ground fault wouldn't reset. The ground fault breaker had done it's thing but it wouldn't reset because it was broke.)

So bought a new breaker with a ground fault and when we put it in... but it wouldn't work. So we don't know where the ground fault problem is just yet. We put the non-ground fault breaker back in so the fridge would work and that's where we set right now.

This is going to take a little more time and a little more effort to figure out. Got any suggestions on anything?

(Hubby has all the testers and knowledge in the world. Just hard to pull it out of the back of his head every now and again.)

I haven't had problem and I'm not much on electrical knowledge. I know just enough to be safe and to remove this wire here and reattach to this point there.

This might be a question to post under General Sections - Electrical. There are many knowledgeable members on this forum and posting in that section will cast a wider net.

Since most are not familiar with the Avenues, I would suggest you inform them it is a class b with compressor fridge. Although, our power center and wiring is probably more similar to AS trailers than we suspect.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #63

2012 Avenue Coach
Midlothian , Virginia
Hey, I hope you're enjoying your trip! Just saw these photos and your retractable step into the van caught my eye. Is that stock or did you install that? We carry around a step stool to get in, but I'd love to have one permanently installed to the body of the van!
4E fam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:10 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Longview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4E fam View Post
Hey, I hope you're enjoying your trip! Just saw these photos and your retractable step into the van caught my eye. Is that stock or did you install that? We carry around a step stool to get in, but I'd love to have one permanently installed to the body of the van!

I haven't posted any pics so I know you're not referring to us.
We also carry a step stool to get in and out of our 2011 Avenue. I've looked at adding an automatic step but I believe our fresh water tank makes that impossible at this point. So a step stool with a rope tied (so I can swing it out from the inside and pull it back in) is the way to go. Why the rope? So I don't have to buy a 3rd one. (1st one got left behind in Montana.)

We think we've finally worked out a solution to everything that we didn't quite like in ours... added a 2" mattress topper and figured out how to make the most out of the storage area to fit what we take along.

The latest thing we are tackling is how to haul the spare tire. We do not like dropping the spare down to the ground every time we want to open both rear doors. We would like to add a swing-away tire carrier. If anyone knows of a good place to get one, let me know.
Kathy Asch is offline   Reply With Quote