Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2002, 10:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
las vegas , Nevada
Question 2002-2003 A/S 25 foot motorhome

Does anyone have info on the new smaller A/S motorhome?. I saw one at the Lacy, Washington Rally in July 2002. Van't seem to find anything on the internet or through any on the dealers.

Also, the rumor is that a"classic" motorhome will be back in 2003 or 2004, very aerodynamic and with the real A/S shape. Any info?
WBCCI #4454
Las Vegas, NV
betteleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 01:14 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

There were plans for a class C motorhome. Saw it at the factory, however a dealer told me he thought the project was cancled.
Skip
89 25' Excella
92 B-190
Old 11-23-2002, 01:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
With a amrket full of retro items it would be a great addition to see a classic motohome with some of the upgrades the new trailers have inside. A lentgh of 30' or less would possibly keep it affordable. Hope the rumours are true.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 04:04 PM   #4
Krazykraut

26 ft Airstream

You looking for a smaller Airstream MH, goto my website
http://users3.ev1.net/~kmamedia/airstream/
Bought this thing about 3 months ago and have about 5k under my sail. Did drove a Bounder for a 1k a couple of years aga and it was a nightmare keeping it on the road. Also there is some other posts on here about this coach.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
but won't anybody agree with me that it is not an Airstream.
No!

And would you please quit interrupting the posts with this. If you want to discuss this subject, why not go to the Our Community Forum and start a thread on this subject. I am sure you will get others to answer.

Notorious
Old 11-24-2002, 08:29 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: 2002-2003 A/S 25 foot motorhome

Quote:
Originally posted by betteleal

Also, the rumor is that a"classic" motorhome will be back in 2003 or 2004, very aerodynamic and with the real A/S shape. Any info?
The question was asked during our tour at the Jackson Center factory. The answer we were told was that the cost of a new Classic motorhome would probably not be price competative with the existing motorhomes. I read that to mean they would cost too much.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 08:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
NewStreamer

I will agree with you it is not an aluminum classic, but it is an Airstream. Times change, products evolve. Manufacturers must change and evolve to stay in business. Riveted construction is extremely labor intensive, thousands of rivets are used, each an opportunity for repair. OSHA regulations are very strict about noise exposure and riveting is unbelieveably noisy. It is lucky Airstream is able to maintain production and sales of a riveted trailer. This used to be a common method of construction. Short of the aircraft industry (and that is rapidly changing) and Airstream, where is riveted construction used in transportation?

Chevrolet and Ford built cars before Airstream built trailers. These cars are classics. Does that mean the ones built in 2002 are not Chevrolet or Ford? They are radically different in looks, handling, construction. But they are still a Chevrolet or a Ford.

Classic is not a name Airstream used for these trailers. They are Overlanders, Bambis, Caravelles, Safaris, Globetrotters. Classic is a broad term used for many collectibles and applied many years after their creation or manufacture. I agree the new motorhomes will never meet the criteria of an aluminum classic. Time will tell if they meet the broader definition of classic. They obviously meet the upscale standard of Airstream, isn't that the prerequisite? 50 years from now when most of today's aluminum classics are gone, these will be the classics- reciprocating gas engines, fiberglass walls, and that strange little microwave thing that will fetch $3500 on eBay 2052.

And yes, if Thor bought Yugo and relabeled it Airstream, it would be an Airstream. You might not like it, you might not understand it, but you are going to an Airstream dealer for parts. Just because you don't agree doesn't change facts. Show some tolerance, show some respect, show some understanding. People buying these future classics help Airstream stay in business so parts for the current classics remain available.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 09:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Look at it this way... if Harley, who is celebrating it's 100th Anniversary in '03, can build a water-cooled motorcycle (the new V-Rod), then Airstream can certainly build a fiberglas motorhome.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
ok while we are dwelling on this topic...realize that Ford owns Jaguar and Volvo, BMW owns Land Rover. Volkswagen owns Rolls Royce, GM owns SAAB and on and on.
The new Jaguar that I posted in another thread has aluminum skin, riveted and bonded. Is it a ford or a jag? Doesn't matter, its the quality of the product that will matter in the long run, not the name.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 10:56 AM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Class C

Going back to the original question. I saw some photos of the prospective Class C and it had the same interior furniture design and laminates as my International AS. It should make a pretty attractive unit.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 12:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Why the sudden cost issue? Last time I checked, the AS trailers cost boat-loads more than other travel trailers. AS buyers want quality, durability, and value preservation. I think the same would be true for a new classic MH. A limited number of folks would pay more for less (but higher quality) space. I'm sure AS would improve the basement storage. That would be my #1 thing to improve with the Clasic MH's.

I'm all for it. I'll probably be buying a 2003-2004 Classic MH somewhere around 2015!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 12:44 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Production at Max!

From what I understand from my tour on Friday, they have all the orders they can handle right now. They are going to hire more people and increase production by 5 a week. The tour guide said they only build them if they have an order. They do not build any for "stock".
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote